Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010-2011 NBA Regular Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Parker, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree, it was a bitch move.

And at this point, doesn't everybody know somebody with cancer or that died from cancer? KG didn't say it in a press conference, he said it on the court. I'm sure much worse has been said.

And after all, he DOES look like a cancer patient.

2. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, he could well have called Charlie V. a "cancer" to his team and/or league. In either scenario, it doesn't fucking matter; guys say all kinds of outlandish shit to one another on the basketball court. It's a part of the game. I wish sports reporting was less about "he said/she said" and more about "he did/she did".

The self-righteous fury of morons like Adrian W. for Yahoo! is quite funny, though. (He thinks this insult will tarnish Garnett's legacy)

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We're talking about the same guy that yells like a yeti and bangs his head against hard objects every game right? No way he put together such a coherent sentence, but the Public Relations response was pristine given a he said or she said situation. It's been 4 days and Farve's penis hasn't been mentioned on ESPN. Thank you Randy Moss and Charlie V.

4. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can well imagine a "you a cancer to yo team!" coming from Garnett's mouth. But assuming he said Charlie V looks like a cancer patient, I don't see what it changes. He made fun of the guy's appearance. It's court trash talk, no different than what guys have been saying to one another for decades.

As long as it's not a serious threat to commit bodily harm to a player and/or his family, what does it matter?

Maybe this should be a hint that ESPN is fucking worthless, and you're better off not watching it.

5. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think it was really about the cancer but more about because of the no hair thing. He went to UConn so I saw countless stories about him not being able to grow hair (If you look he doesn't even have eyebrows) and mocked about having cancer even though he didn't. He also will go around to visit kids with his condition and kids that have lost hair due to radiation treatment.

6. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw something mentioned about someone in KG's family having cancer so the chances of what Charlie V said he said verbatim is low. The chances KG said something about cancer is definite. Either way, Charlie V brought some shit out in public that isn't supposed to be in public and is a bitch for it. That's really what this comes down to.

Personally I saw his picture and I thought he looked like a dinosaur. I'd run off insults about that for a whole game.

7. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I realized last night how little anyone gives a shit about basketball when I said, "When the fuck did Oklahoma City get a team?" And one person out of twelve was able to tell me that they used to be the Seattle Supersonics a couple years ago.

Also, no one gave a shit.

Basketball is deader than Cricket.

8. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Where the fuck do you live?

9. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Within the time period that happened? Hold on, let me research...

2008 I lived in Maryland, where noone cared about basketball. Since then? Central coast California, where noone cares about basketball.

Also, throughout most of the country? Noone gives a living fuck about basketball.

Basketball is what barely gets sports fans through between football (America's real passtime) and Baseball (america's pseudo passtime).

The biggest sports fans I know, around the country... Don't give a living shit about basketball. It's almost as dead as hockey.

10. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fixed that for you. March Madness isn't going away any time soon.

Though college ball is starting to degenerate into the "One star and 4 guys watching him" bullshit that's been plaguing the NBA for years.

11. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, except the NBA makes several times as much money annually as MLB, and is a respectable second to the NFL in overall popularity among the Big Four North American sports. In fact, worldwide, basketball is the most popular sport among people aged 21-40. Meanwhile, baseball has the largest portion of its fans among the 41-60 set.

While I hope you were drunk when you wrote those damn stupid posts yesterday, they essentially devolve to you whining "I HATE BASKETBALL! WAH! WAH!" like any child who gets on the family computer unsupervised. If you don't like the NBA, do everyone a favor and don't watch it, but this isn't the topic to bitch about it.

12. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know better than to argue with you but didn't I read that NASCAR is now number 2? God I hope not, I'll take hip-hop over mullets every day and twice on sunday.

13. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It is, which is why I added the disclaimer

14. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyway. My Bulls almost beat the Celtics, except we don't have a closer. And Joakim Noah, with all the great decisions and plays he makes, tries to take the ball down the court with 15 seconds left and turns it over. This is after getting blown out by the Knicks at home, where the Knicks were 6-22 in the United Center. It's friday night and I can't wait for the Booze(r).

15. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Absolutely insane, all-time great game between the Jazz and Heat yesterday. 14 points in the last 28 seconds, including 11 by Millsap, a power forward who made 3 straight 3s in a row! As great as it was, it can't completely obscure the fact that Jefferson has had a very slow start to the season; he finished 1-7 with 2 points and 9 rebounds in the game.

I know he has had difficulty learning the Jazz playbook, (makes you wonder what the hell they were running back in Minnesota) but it's a bit disappointing seeing him play mediocre, especially considering how good he looked in the pre-season, and that he is playing with one of the 2-3 best point guards in the league.

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just to stir the shit. Rick Reilly, who I'm sure most of you have interesting opinion's on, wrote the following in his column.

17. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm thinking LeBron just because of sheer strength. One on one is a whole different animal, I think LJ would back down Kobe all day. Again I'm not saying who is better or anything like that but I like King James to win in a one on one half court game with winners outs.

Kobe really said that? Shit.

18. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There was a one on one contest during the NBA 1971-1972 season. The prize money was put up by Vitalis and each of the 17 clubs sent two players to participate. Bob Lanier from the Detroit Pistons beat Jo Jo White in the finals to win $15,000.

Bob was 6' 11" and at least 250 pounds. He pretty much just used his big ass to back White down and go over him for easy buckets. Lanier also was a pretty good ball handler, so White could not just steal the ball from him.

No way they could ever do something like that now.

19. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did this show the potential of the Jazz or the weakness of the Heat? Was it coaching?

20. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

LeBron would destroy Kobe one-on-one. Wouldn't even be close. There is nothing that Bryant can do to keep from being backed down by James's size and strength each and every single possession. With Gasol and Bynum guarding the paint, Kobe can contain LeBron on an iso play. One-on-one? He gets slaughtered.

Coaching was a big part; there's no way a good coach allows his guys to lose that game. The Jazz have played amazingly well in quarters and halves this year, but never for a full game. I still think the Heat are mortal locks to destroy everyone in the play-offs. I wouldn't make an enormous deal out of the game's implications, except that Spoelstra is over his head at this point. (Although since he's brand-new to coaching, this could change)