Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010-2011 NBA Regular Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Parker, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dchavoc, I don't want to rub salt in a wound but the chances of the cav's being better without James are almost at a zero percent. I'm not sure how you can argue that. I struggle to think of a situation when a team lost a player of James's caliber in his PRIME!

The over/under for the season is considerably lower and if they make the conference finals I'll blow KImaster. Given that his horribly unfair to KImaster but that is about how confident I am. They can still be competitive and make a decent run but c'mon, when you have a sport that has only five men on the floor the entire time and your remove arguably the best player in the league from the team how do you expect to be better?

I wouldn't have even hammered you if you tried an "as good" comment. The NBA has developed into a league where if you want to win you had better have one of the top ten players in the NBA on your squad. (Or in Boston's case 3 of the top 25, and of course I'm not sure where you would rank Rondo now) Who on the Cav's fit's that mold? All the power teams have, Howard, Duncan, Kobe, Nash, ect....ect....Who on the Cav's fit's that? I know JJ has been an absolute stud in the first (8?) games but I'm not ready to make him a top ten player yet.

This is a quick glimpse at a power ranking, nothing but someone's opinion but even at 6-2 he has the CAV's in the teens.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nba.com/2010/news/powerrankings/10/25/preseason/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nba.com/2010/news/powerranki ... index.html</a>

2. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're scaring me now.

Well, Rondo is the Celtic's best player now, and unfortunately, neither Ray Allen nor possibly even Garnett are among the league's top 25. Ultimately, every NBA players has amazing talent, and you can win some games in this league without a single legitimate All-Star talent.

Of course, the upper bound for that is somewhere between 35-42 wins and the 8th-10th spot in the conference, which the Cavs won't attain, considering their lack of both rebounding, vital for under-talented team (Varejao being their only good one, and Hickson decent), and a so-so coach whose clubs have never exceeded expectations.

And of course, assuming they will be anywhere near their level with LeBron is insanity.

They've only played 2 regular season games so far, dude. Don't confuse the meaningless preseason with the actual, serious games.

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That asshole Blake Griffin did it again, I was standing in a bar, checking out chicks on dress up as slutty (fill in the blank) and I look up on the TV and he's posterizing someone. There goes the next hour, I'm not even a Clippers fan. This fucking kid deserves ROY, and unless he gets injured, he's HAS to get it. Half the sports writers have already given it to him and know that the ONLY thing/person holding him back is a wishy washy Baron Davis.

I cannot wait until the Bulls get Boozer back. Noah is going to blow the fuck up. I don't mean stat wise, but he'll be able to solidify his game. Fucking christ were we at first worried about that guy being the next Adam Morrison. Everything is going to be fine.

I want to get a team check. We know dchavok is a Cavs fan. Give me your top two teams. Mine are Bulls & Lakers. Don't call me a frontrunner for the Lakers I'll fucking kill you. All Chicago fans get a pass on being Lakers fans for the obvious reason, unless they play in the finals.

4. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know I counted pre-season, but JJ has still been a stud thus far. Considering the "experts" all but handed Orlando the eastern title for going undefeated in stupid preseason I figured I could use it for the basis of my argument. That of course is that Cleveland will be worse without LeBron James.

**** Agreed with Boston, that was more of a past tense when they won the title.

5. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My top two that I'm rooting for this year are of course the Cavs, and OK City. I really would like to see the Thunder make a bigger playoff run this season. However, I think the Lakers and Celtics are still the strongest teams in the league.

6. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Spurs. (Then probably OKC, because of Presti and I'm a UT guy, but they aren't the Spurs, so therefor I don't like them.)

Spurs got Parker on a steal of an extension, 4 years and $50 million. I was happy as hell. I think the Spurs will be out after a competitive semis, but if the Anderson and Splitter live up to their potential they could give the Lakers a run.

7. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How do we not call you a frontrunner?? You have always liked LA living in Chicago? Please. If you respect Kobe's game, that's cool but rooting for them? That's gay.

I, sadly am a lowly sixers fan. I don't see one possible high point of the season and may have better luck rooting for AI's turkish team.

I don't really have another team but I guess I could kind of pull for Orlando this year. I like Dwight Howard, and I have always been a fan of J. Nelson.

8. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm a diehard Knicks fan, I grew up in the 90s watching them battle Knick-killer Reggie Miller and the Pacers and the annual brawls with the Heat. Jeff Van Gundy clinging to Alonzo Mourning's leg is one of my favorite memories.

I wanted to light myself on fire after those three douchebags decided to go suck each others' dicks down in Miami this summer. (Bitter? Who me?)

If we can't get Melo or another alpha dog to go with Amare, I might start punting infants. Amare is solid, but you're not a championship team if he's your number one.

9. Binky

Binky
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Utah Jazz fan here. I think they actually upgraded in the offseason, but seems like it could be awhile before they can play together considering half the team is new. Maybe this will be the year they finally beat Jorda...err I mean Kobe in the playoffs? ya right

10. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Really? What's the "obvious reason" here? That Phil Jackson coached both teams during title runs? And hell yes, you're a frontrunner. It's not a sin, but call it for what it is.

Anyways, I'm a Jazz fan, but I don't think that shit matters. If one knows a decent amount about basketball, one should be able to put their biases aside when making analysis.

11. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, I'm sticking with Phil Jackson. That's not Front Running. And yes, I like Kobe, because he channels the spirit of Jordan, the competitiveness, and the "Fuck You, I'm Winning." Attitude. I AM NOT SAYING HE IS AS GOOD OR BETTER THAN JORDAN. He channels the spirit of Jordan. I also like watching a ton of other players. But a lot of Bulls fans that were fans during the time he was here in Chicago, winning Championships or not, still are fans of Phil Jackson and his personality. We didn't win every year he was here you know. No idea how he is in LA or how other coaches are but he was always seen around town and he was ALWAYS friendly to fans. A bunch of people have stories on how he'd get out at a restaurant and if the people weren't crazy, he'd shoot the shit for awhile. Sign a ton of autographs and what not. Mike Ditka was the same way. I caught the guy at O'Hare airport. He was drinking and hitting on some tall middle age woman, a few fans came up, he wasn't going anywhere, we all sat down he bought a round and shot the shit until our flights came. If he coached another sports team besides the Bears, I'd say I was a fan just because of him...and that's all I got to say about that.

Fandom does matter, it shouldn't affect analysis, but if you aren't a fan of a team it is kinda boring to watch sports.
    And now and now I know KIMaster is a Jazz fan I can say things like "Man, I wish Sloan can finally get COTY"

Even though I don't really mean that shit, fuck the Jazz. HA!

12. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So does that mean anyone who is a fan of Larry Brown has a legitimate excuse for being a fan of half a dozen different teams? And yeah, I also like Phil Jackson an awful lot. Brilliant guy. Rooting for an entire team simply because of a coach seems like too much, though.

I think him not winning it reflects far worse on the award than it does on Sloan as a coach. It's absolutely indefensible that he didn't win it in either 1998 or 2004. I'm not sure why the hell a Chicago Bulls fan is talking shit about Sloan, though; Jerry Sloan played his entire career for the Bulls, was an All-Star there, and has his jersey retired by the club. He also coached them for three years in the early 80s.

13. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In response to Conley getting 5 years and $45 million extension (...what?!?! WHY????), here's an awesome twitter rant:

Just... awesome

14. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

I'll be honest, ever since the Wolves traded KG I've found myself quietly rooting for the Celtics. I don't watch Celtics games (or Wolves games right now, for that matter) or seriously follow them, but when the playoffs roll around I watch Celtics playoff games. I pretty much only do this because I'm not really a very big basketball fan to begin with; I like football and baseball a lot more and thus am completely loyal to the Vikes and Twins. I'd never root for another team in either of those sports under any circumstances.

15. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think this is true when it comes to the award. I've never thought about it like that. I was joking about Jerry, hence the "Ha." I had an interesting conversation about D. Williams the other day with a former beat writer for the Jazz who is now in my Sports Communication graduate class. It basically came down to him being a weird fucking guy, just off-beat quotes and things that make people ask "huh?" Have you heard this about him?

I have to say I'm finally SO fucking happy that Rose had a killer-instinct game against Detroit, he isn't a robot. And Luol Deng who I've never found a reason to root on a personal level for put up 40 on Portland. Are they great teams? No. But it was good to see the attitude of the two players. When guys elevate not just their physical play, but their emotional level to "Fuck You, I'm Winning This" amazing happens...oh, I see what the NBA did there.

16. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've briefly met Deron when he was out in LA, which honestly didn't tell me much, but I'm not surprised at him being strange, either. He is a pretty unusual guy to begin with, and throughout his career, he has done things that can best be described as "odd".

For instance, just last week, his overly aggressive, angry reaction towards Gordon Hayward missing a cut. (It's strange because of all the far inferior rookies Williams has put up with, or guys who blew that same cut) There was also his anger against the Jazz when Brewer was traded, (who was mediocre, inferior to Matthews, and only slightly better than Miles) while being totally fine with the Jazz letting Boozer leave, who he was apparently friends with, too.

He's a great leader and player, but definitely a little unpredictable and eccentric. Is there anything in particular that writer told you?

17. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The guy's name is Jason Peterson, partially deaf guy with an interesting lisp. He said it in passing as we were blowing through a bunch of NBA talk, but he didn't say anything specific. That's why I was asking if anyone had any examples. All he said that he was weird, and kind of a dick. I'll ask him for more detail on Monday for sure.

18. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd go back in and add this to my last post, but can't.

Just finished watching the Kings play the Lakers. I specifically focused on Demarcus Cousins and I don't think that guy is an emotional basket case. I've read about all the stuff during his 1 year at college, but something about him is too timid. He made some strong moves, play as good as a rookie could against a taller Gasol and didn't flip out. Also, there is something about Tyreke Evan's I don't like. Can't figure out what it is though.

19. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm just curious...

Does anybody really believe that KG used the term "cancerous" whilst trash talking? I'm not buying that he has ever used the word off the court, much less while talking shit.

What's next?

"Your maternal role model accepts monetary compensation in exchange for sexual favors!"

Just deny you said it or apologize and blame it on the heat of the moment, but don't piss on my face and tell me it's raining.

20. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

What I want to know is why these athletes are turning into little crybaby bitches when someone talks some shit about them. Apparently Charlie responded with, "KG called me a cancer patient, I'm pissed because, u know how many people died from cancer, and he's tossing it like it's a joke" Really? Gosh, I hope KG didn't hurt your fragile little feelings you pussy. These reminds me of an incident a few years back where Mike Vanderjagt was running his mouth off and then got all hurt and offended when Peyton Manning told the press to ignore the ramblings of their "liquored up" kicker; implying that he was hurt by Peyton's comments because his family had a history of alcoholism or something.

I took worse verbal abuse when I was in elementary school, what the fuck is up with these supposed tough guy athletes?