Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2009 Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by J-Man, Oct 21, 2009.

1. rezy

rezy
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I really hope Kim Jong-Il doesn't blow up the stadium, I am going to Portugal-N. Korea in Capetown. That little fucking midget should not be allowed near South Africa during the WC

2. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Ah, there's nothing better than trying to predict these things and be terribly wrong about it in 8 months time. So let's go:

Group A -
    1) France - Yes, they suck. Yes, they have a horrible coach. Yes, they cheat. But, more importantly, yes, they have a really shitty group and yes, they have some players who can still beat these inherently mediocre sides. Don't expect fireworks, but don't expect them to fail at this hurdle. I don't think they will get past the quarter finals.
    2) Uruguay - The number 2 spot is anybody's guess. There's really not much to choose between these sides . I mean, Mexico is a really decent side who almost always progress from their groups, but don't go farther than that. South-Africa is hosting this thing, and that can make for some really freaky results. Uruguay has some really good players (Forlan, Suarez, Pereira, Lugano), but you know they're just there for filler. I just think they have a tiny edge above the other teams.

Group B
    1) Greece - If there's anything World Cups (or any other major football tournament) has taught me; try and predict some crazy shit. I don't know, Greece is a side that's just chock-full of iron-eating sons of bitches who don't fear anyone. I don't expect them to go really far, like at Euro 2004, but they have the determination to see off Nigeria and South-Korea and maybe get a good result against Argentina.
    2) Argentina - I'm really torn about Argentina. On the one hand, you have all the recipes for a failure á la France 2002 or Brazil 2006; a really good side with some great players, but unbalanced by some bad players in key positions and a complete retard for a coach. On the other hand, that also happened with Brazil 2002 and France 2006. Brazil 2002 had some good players, but had a horrid qualification and everybody expected them to fail. They won.
    France 2006 scraped through their group with an ageing squad, but then suddenly Zidane turned on the style and they beat Spain, Brazil and Portugal en route to the final. While logic dictated they should've lost to these teams who either showed better play (Spain), had better players (Brazil), or a combination of both (Portugal). I really don't know, winners or flops, it promises to be fun to watch.

Group C
    1) England - Capello has given the English some balls. Finally. They won't entertain anyone though and will probably go out silently in the quarter finals or something. Nobody will care, except for the English themselves.
    2) USA - My first bet was Slovenia, but they have to play their final game against England. The order of their games is against them. USA will probably lose their first game and will scrape through after that.

Group D
    1 - Germany - Mark this; 11th of July, you will wake up and be surprised to find these fuckers in the final. Everybody will ask what the fuck happened, but nobody will have an answer. That's the way it has always been, and this time it will be no different.
    2 - Australia - Not that great, but they're the most allround. Serbia has a great defence, but people only fear them because they survived a group containing a self-imploding France and Romania. They're really not that great. And Ghana needs to find a fucking striker already. They've been looking for one these last ten years, and it has broken them up at each tournament.

Group E

1 - Netherlands - Well, I'm being a bit patriottic here, but I believe this group will be easy for us. I mean, we featured in the 'Groups of Death' in 2000 (France, Czech Republic and Denmark), 2004 (Germany, Czech Rep.), 2006 (Argentia, Serbia, Ivory Coast) and 2008 (France, Italy, Romania) and survived each one. We will shine, entertain and be the neutral's favourite, until of course we lose horribly in the semi-final or something.
    2 - Denmark - Come on, they had a great qualification run. They won't have trouble with Cameroon (Eto'o and ten other dudes nobody knows) and Japan.

Group F

1 - Italy - The last legs of an ageing Gold generation. I think they can go far
    2 - Paraguay - Good side, if a bit unspectacular.

Group G
    1 - Brazil - Fuck the 'samba'-football. People acting all shocked that Brazil don't play that style anymore. Wake up, they have't played it for twenty years. They were defensive in 1990, 94, 2006 and now. They were a little bit more entertaining in 1998 and 2002, but that's it. But all things considered, goddamn, they're frightening. They're a class above the other teams in this group, but after that? They have trouble with teams bringing the fight to them.
    2 - Portugal - I really hope it's gonna be Ivory Coast, but the Portuguese have a better squad and have shown in the qualifiers they can come back from the grave.

But have some heart for the number 2 in this group. When they finally survive this freaky poule, they're probably going to play Spain. Nice

Group H

1 - Spain - Of course. They have it all. Top favourite for the title.
    2 - Switzerland - They will bore themselves past Chile.

A final note: Look at the potential knock-out matches for the first four groups. The only real heavy-weights over there are Argentina, France, England and Germany. The first two currently suck ass, the third is notorious underachiever and the last one will grind out results and despair everybody else.

Now look at the potential for the last four groups. Brazil, Ivory Coast, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Netherlands and Spain are poised to meet each other en route to the final. It's madness. One route contains only mediocre and/or unspectacular sides, while the other one has all the big favourites and entertaining sides.

3. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Germany has been in the final 6 times in 11 tournaments. Even when they have a very average looking team they end up far. I don´t know what it is. Dicipline and teamwork?

Anyway I guess I´ll be supporting African teams again and well Spain as I live here for now. The 2 strongest African teams got terrible draws.

Group D
    Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana

Group G
    Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal

If either of those teams get through their groups you could see them getting far though.

4. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm a huge Germany fan and I was worried. We got the 2nd worse pot and the Serbs, despite their lack of form, are strong. I'm really scared that this might be the tournament where Germany just falls apart. I hope it isn't, but it certainly feels like it. It's Ballack and Klose's last chance, two terrific international players, and they deserve a cup considering 1 WC 2nd, 1 Euro 2nd and 1 WC 3rd place in the past 3 tourneys (add to that Ballack's horrible luck with final games in the Champ's league).

Fuck Spain! They're too good. Brazil will underperform, I can feel it. Italy will be good. Argentina will break down, Messi will be a pipsqueak. Portugal will be better than expected. England will be really good. France will be better than expected and shut the critics up, their midfield is under-rated.

Germany for WC 2010 - I hope.

5. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Talkshites interview with Terry after the scandal. Quite funny

#45 Nohik, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  6. T W

T W
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

This obviously is playing off like some kind of parody/big joke, but was this scandal not real? I thought it was for some reason. This video is either hilarious or hilarious with a side of 'worst teammate/biggest asshole ever?'. Everything I've searched on google leads me to believe that it's real, so I'm a bit lost.

#46 T W, Feb 11, 2010
  7. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The scandal is real. He slept with his teammates ex while I think they were still together and Bridge also has a kid with Vanessa... Terry is married and with kids. Terry is now ex England captain thanks to this but still the captain of Chelsea.

The interview is obviously a fake.

The chick:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Funny how Terry is getting treated so much better by the media than Tiger...

#47 Nohik, Feb 11, 2010
  8. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    Yes, because the British press and public care a lot less about the extra-curricular activities players do. Unlike Tiger, Terry didn't quit the sport he enjoys playing - and his recent form has been very good.

Unlike Arsenal. Fuck.

9. T W

T W
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Thanks, still not being clear enough with me though. I understand that the interviews are a joke (fake), but is this a lookalike saying this? Fantastic dubbing? Or is he seriously just making light of the whole thing and treating it as a complete joke? Please tell me it's the last one. The level of hilarity/asshole would be unparalleled.

10. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The questions are dubbed and the answers are not. It is the real Terry talking just answering questions about something completely different and it´s just cut together quite well.

You just beat Liverpool so it´s not so bad and don´t you lose against Chelsea in every game anyway? Arsenal is doing quite well to be honest 3rd with 6 points behind leaders Chelsea. Also Arsenal has played all but 2 games against the top 7 sides and has the easiest games left now compared to the other 2 teams in the top 3. If the Gunners can bully 3 points from the teams they have to you could very well win the title. It´s not the games against United, Liverpool or Chelsea that win you the title but the games against Stoke, Wigan and Blackburn...

Still hoping that Mancini can get City playing good football and make it in to the top 4 if not 3. Before anyone starts hoping doesn´t mean expecting.

The loss to Hull was painful and even though we won against Portsmouth and Bolton we weren´t controlling the game and played some really negative football. Better than 3:3 draws against the likes of Burnley at home though...

The new signing Adam Johnson looked fantastic and showed that you don´t have to spend over the top to get quality players. I would say that he was the most dangerous and creative player in the entire game against Bolton and reminds me of Giggs a bit. Too early to say if he will become a great player for us as he is so young and has only started one game in sky blue.

Oh and Landon Donovan is now playing for Everton. Hasn´t done too bad either.

11. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

With the lifeline United and Chelsea just handed them, it'll be interesting to see if they manage to take advantage and make a run at the title. Funny how quickly things change. After this weekend, most people were writing them off completely.

And not sure what you mean about Terry playing well lately. He was directly responsible for both of Everton's goals yesterday, getting beaten by Saha on the corner and then mistiming a header and leaving Saha a wide open shot at goal for the second. He hasn't exactly looked at the top of his game in the few matches before this either.

Happy to see that Chelsea's still got to face Villa and has Spurs away. So frustrating that United couldn't take full advantage of their slip-up yesterday but I'm sure Chelsea's saying the same. I thought they played well yesterday and probably deserved the win, especially with how they looked in the second half with only ten men. Its a shame the officiating was so terrible, for both teams. Seemed like after Nani's red card (stupid challenge, to be fair, but could've just as easily been a yellow), he decided to let just about everything else go. How Nani sees red and Young (I think it was) gets away with that challenge on Valencia towards the end without even a foul is absurd. If you're gonna call a tight game, fine. But don't change how strictly you're going to call it halfway through.

His past few games, he's looked great. If not for Saha, he made a solid case for man of the match against Chelsea. Good to see him playing well against some world-class competition. Bodes well for South Africa this summer if he can keep it up.

12. JR17

JR17
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

How about fucking Donovan going into Everton and playing so good. I cannot bullshit, I thought he may struggle a little bit as he had in his other trials in Europe but has stepped up this time. There is no way he stays after his 10 week loan spell is up which sucks because i would like to see him play the best competition leading up to the World Cup this summer. If he continues to play like he has for Everton some club will pony up the money for the tranfser after the World Cup.

13. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Toffees 2:1 up against Trafford Rovers. Hopefully they won´t mess this up. Donovan has been quite impressive again for a yank.

14. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Theres one or two Arsenal fans here that I know would be interested in this:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plusmarketsgroup.com/PLUS_news_story.shtml?NewsID=1720621&ISIN=GB0030895238/GBX/PLUS-exn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.plusmarketsgroup.com/PLUS_ne ... X/PLUS-exn</a>
    Portsmouth is going into administration:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2010/02/portsmouth_fc_in_crisis_qa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2 ... is_qa.html</a>

15. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been reading more about this, and it sounds like FIFA is going to decide on whether or not to make it illegal before the World Cup. What are everyone's thoughts on the paradinha?

I think it's the cheapest thing on the planet. It's already tough enough for goaltenders on PKs as it is, throw that in there and he's even more screwed. I'm sure people will disagree, but I see this and just want to punch the fucker who did it in the head.

16. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For definition's sake you should mention that Paradinha is when you fake a penalty shot to get the goalie to jump and then you easily tuck it into the open net. Dirty and gay.

17. OxnardMontalvo

OxnardMontalvo
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Fiorentina were robbed; they deserved to beat Bayern.

Robben, however, must be one of the most frustrating players to support - how he can have a game like he did at Artemio Franchi & then inevitably spend the next five games doing fuck-all (as he has done since he signed for Chelsea) must shit Bayern supporters off to no end.

18. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bayern had it under control the entire time. They were undefeated in 18 games prior to this. Fiorentina don't have the quality to go past the next round anyway.

Robben is an enigma but I like him more than Ribery. Ribery tries to be like Messi/Ronaldo when he should simplify his game and use his elite (but not legendary) skills to help the play.

19. OxnardMontalvo

OxnardMontalvo
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Oh, for sure, Bayern should've had this sewn up - whilst they haven't been impressive, they've been bloody effective for a while now, van Gaal's system seems to be finally bearing fruit for them. Fiorentina have been on a pretty shit run too, on paper there was no way they should've been in with a shout but after Klose should've a) been sent off in the first leg and b) Bayern's second goal in the first leg should've been ruled offside, I feel for La Viola; they played out of their skin and deserved it. That means fuck-all, but sometimes I like seeing the good guys win.

20. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Real Madrid didn´t reach the quarter finals again for the 6th year in a row if I´m correct after spending over 200 mil on Ronaldo, Kaka etc.

Lyon could have trashed them in the final minutes.