Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2009 Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by J-Man, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unfortunately, the case with that game really isn't a precedent. If I remember correctly, in that match the referee incorrectly awarded a penalty because he didn't know a particular rule or misinterpreted it, not because of a judgment call like whether or not it was a handball (or offsides, or a foul, etc.). FIFA's rules let them replay that match because of the referee's misinterpretation of the rules.

That said, I think what happened was a complete fucking disgrace and if FIFA does nothing to prevent situations like this in the future, it will be an even bigger travesty. They've already gone to such great lengths to ensure that the big teams like France, Portugal and Russia make it through to the World Cup with the play-off seeding bullshit (though Slovenia pulled off a miracle against Russia). They got exactly what they wanted in this situation, and there's no doubt that not a single thing will be done to fix this situation, especially with Blatter and Platini running the show. All of FIFA's campaigns about "fair play" and "respecting officials" are an even bigger joke now than it was when they came out with them.

And as much as I'm not blaming him for this whole debacle, it's disappointing as hell to see Henry celebrating the goal and then waiting until the end of the match to admit it was a hand ball, and until FIFA rejected Ireland's appeal to come out and say that he thinks the match should be replayed. If you were that classy you would have admitted to it on the spot.

2. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

They have to punish France or Henry though. -3 points would never happen but what about a 3 match ban for Henry at the world cup? They're in danger of setting a bad precedent here if they don´t. In my opinion if they are not punishing cheating then they are condoning it.

3. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He may not be blameless, but the officials are far more responsible for what happened. It's not Henry's job to make sure he is in position to make the right call and get the call right. Yes, if he were perfectly honest, he should've gone to the official and said something, but who's to say that would have even led him to change the call? Even with Robbie Fowler, the referee stuck to his call and awarded the penalty.

And as much as I'm not blaming him for this whole debacle, it's disappointing as hell to see Henry celebrating the goal and then waiting until the end of the match to admit it was a hand ball, and until FIFA rejected Ireland's appeal to come out and say that he thinks the match should be replayed. If you were that classy you would have admitted to it on the spot.

And they can't do something like ban Henry from the first three matches in the World Cup. Had the penalty been called, at the absolute most severe, he would have been sent off and banned from a single game. If there's any sense of justice, the official and his linesmen should be banned from refereeing any important matches in the future.

4. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    Now for something a little different.

Huge surprise that Bafana Bafana (S.A. National Team) were unable to beat Japan, even though Carlos Alberto Parreira has re-appeared as the South African National Team Head Coach.

I'm pretty sure Bafana Bafana will go out in the Group Stage of the World Cup, and then the rest of the world will see the empty stadiums, since the locals will not support anyone else (with the possible exception of other African countries, like Cameroon and Nigeria, who have qualified for the tournament). Most people in South Africa seem to think they'll get to the second round - that's a fucking laugh. We don't even have a striker who can regularly score goals.

5. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

2:2 draw against Liverpool at Anfield. Not complaining about the result but the way we played. For 60 mins we were crap. Hughes seems to be still thinking that he is managing Blackburn because he is more worried about losing than actually winning. We should not be playing hoof the ball and Adebayor is not someone that will fight for that kind of balls. We are amazing with the ball at our feet and on counter attacks.

Hughes plays way too cautiously and actually invites pressure to our already panicking defence every game instead of keeping more of the possession and dictating the play which we should be doing with the quality of players we have now.

I´m happy with the position we are right now but not happy with how we got there. We are still in it for top 4 only because everyone else has been fucking up as well.

6. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

You might get lucky because you are seeded in the first pot so youll get a slightly weaker group. Hosting countries usually do well so its not really a surprise that South Africans are expecting to make it to the second round.

These are the pots that are expected to be used for the world cup:

Pot 1: South Africa, Brazil, Germany, Italy, Spain, England, France, Argentina

Pot 2: Portugal, Netherlands, Switzerland, Slovenia, Greece, Denmark, Serbia, Slovakia

Pot 3: Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay, Ghana, Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Nigeria, Algeria

Pot 4: South Korea, Japan, Australia, North Korea, Mexico, USA, Honduras, New Zealand

I´d see you going through if you got drawn in to a group like:

South Africa
    Slovakia
    Uruguay
    New Zealand

7. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Tottenham beat Wigan 9:1. 8 of the spurs goals were scored in the second half and Defoe got 5 in his name.

8. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The Guardian ran an article about this view the other day. The writer basically said: "Try getting away with a crime by saying the police should've stopped you."

Yes, the referee should've disallowed the goal. He had a job to do, but he failed. But sometimes you can't see these things. The viewer can watch everything in slo-mo, close-up, from all angles and see all the replays he wants. The ref can't do that, because FIFA won't allow some electronic help.

And the Fowler-analogy is just silly. You're blaming him for something you think he might do. Maybe if Henry went to the ref and told him what happened, he would've disallowed the goal. We don't know, because that didn't happend and thus isn't relevant. (I know Henry said he told the ref about his handsball, but fuck that. This matter wil remain unsolved unless the referee confirms Henry's story.)

Henry is the man responsible for this. He made the foul. And that's that. Just because the referee didn't act on it, doesn't mean it's not Henry's fault. You're right, it's not in Henry's position to make the right call. That's why he's a player. Who plays a game. A game with rules. Which he should not break.

The referee and Henry both did something wrong. But Henry willingly deliberately broke the rules, while the referee didn't apply the rules.

9. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

The last three hosting countries were, in chronological order, France, South Korea and Japan (the joint one in 2002), and Germany - all four are MUCH stronger and more talented footballing nations than South Africa and all have at least gotten through the 1st round of a World Cup (Germany has won it several times, France won it when they hosted, S. Korea got to the semis in 2002, I'm sure Japan has made it to the last 16 also?), so I think your point about the hosting nations going far is not very relevant. S.A. have never made it past the 1st round of the World Cup finals, in any tournament.

Uruguay would knock the crap out of S.A., and so would Slovakia. Regardless who S.A. draw, they'll be finished in the first round. It's more likely that the 4th team would be South Korea, who would fuck the South Africa team like the roofied girl at the prom.

I do not think this team can live up to the expectations of the local populace - there are very few good players available to the side, unlike the recent past, when S.A. has had some fantastic players (John Moshoeu, Helman Mkhalele, Phil Masinga, Lucas Radebe, Mark Fish, Sibusiso Zuma, etc.). Who is any good in the S.A. side, really? With the exception of Steven Pienaar, Siphiwe Tshabalala, Teko Modise and Matthew Booth, obviously. We have a bunch of strikers who cannot hit the fucking net to save their own lives (including the unfit, overweight and out-of-form Benni McCarthy), a midfield that cannot seem to communicate properly with each other and a defence that falls apart without Booth.

Seriously. 1st round exit for S.A., regardless who they draw.

10. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Bin dippers are out of the Champions League.

[​IMG]

Now they will get to play in the Europa League (former UEFA Cup) like they used to. I would love to take their place in the top 4 this season to send them into a freefall as they wont be able to pay off their debts without selling players if they dont have the CL money.

Happy faces:

#30 Nohik, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  11. Porkins

Porkins
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Neither Japan nor the RoK had made it into the knockout stage prior to '02. Both nations only qualified for a handful of World Cup births in the several decades prior to '02 as well. I think they're both very relevant examples to what SA could do in 10 months time.

It all comes down to the seeding though. The Bafana Bafana need a group that has a true minnow and a team they can reasonably beat - and I don't think that'll be too terribly hard to come by, being that they're in the seeded pot.

12. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

No, they are NOT relevant examples. RoK and Japan have had some fantastic coaches - SAFA keeps firing all the decent ones months before major tournaments. Oh, look - it happened again. RoK had Guus Hiddink at that time (2002), who is one of the best coaches in the world, in addition to having a larger and better pool of talent than S.A.. The same thing can be said of Japan.

Bafana cannot beat ANY side. They are the lowest ranked side in the tournament, according to FIFA (86th I think?). I'm waiting for them to lose all three matches and for the local crowds to disappear, and then all the taxpayers will get fucked out of millions to pay for these fucking stadiums.

Oh, due to FIFA rules, my dad is now unable to conduct any business during the World Cup Finals, since his business is right around the corner from Moses Mabhida stadium, despite that his business has NOTHING to do with any sport. Cunts.

13. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

World Cup draw today at noon EST. Here are the pots. I'd like to hear some discussion on this as I love the World Cup, but know there are much more knowledgable board members when it comes to this event.

Pot 1 (Host and Top 7)
    South Africa
    Brazil
    Spain
    Netherlands
    Italy
    Germany
    Argentina
    England

Pot 2 (Asia, North America & Oceania)
    Australia
    Japan
    Korea DPR
    Korea Republic
    Honduras
    Mexico
    United States
    New Zealand

Pot 3 (Africa and South America)
    Algeria
    Cameroon
    Côte d'Ivoire
    Ghana
    Nigeria
    Chile
    Paraguay
    Uruguay

Pot 4 (Europe)
    Denmark
    France
    Greece
    Portugal
    Serbia
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    Switzerland

Note - When I went to look up the seedings on wikipedia, someone had put Ireland in place of France. I found this funny because it was switched back and forth from France to Ireland a couple of times when I would refresh it.

14. J-Man

J-Man
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

In a similar vein during the rehearsal for the draw yesterday, Charlize Theron pulled out France and said "Ireland". God bless her.

Anyway here are the groups from today's draw:

Group A
    South Africa, Uruguay, Mexico, France
    Group B
    Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece
    Group C
    England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia
    Group D
    Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana
    Group E
    Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon
    Group F
    Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia
    Group G
    Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal
    Group H
    Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

Some very interesting groups there, particularly Group D and G. Very pleased with the group England got, and a England v US game is always good viewing, as everyone always underestimates America. I'd be slightly wary of Slovenia as well, after they knocked out Russia.

15. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Beaten to it.. Well here are some thoughts on the draw

France continues to get un-fucking-believably lucky with a draw like that. With all the luck they've had over the past few weeks, I can only hope that karma comes back to bite them in a big way. If they can get everyone back and stay healthy, they should be favorites to win the group, but you never know. It should be a tossup between Mexico and Uruguay for the other spot, but if France falters, both of them have a chance of making it through.

Aside from England, the USA got a very fortunate draw. Assuming the US team that shows up in 2010 is the same team that was in South Africa this summer, we should make it through. If we play like 2002, things could get ugly though. Hopefully Onyewu and/or Davies will be healthy in time, because those are two tremendous losses, but we'll see.

It should be very interesting to see who makes it through from group G, the "Group of Death". Brazil, Portugal and Cote d'Ivoire are all strong enough to win one of the other groups, so its unfortunate one of them won't be making it out. I think it'll be Brazil and Cote d'Ivoire qualifying for the next round, but there should be some incredible games between these three.

I'll put up some predictions for the whole World Cup in a bit. What're everyone else's thoughts?

16. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm glad with the draw that US and England got. I think it works well for both sides advancing (especially England). That being said, I hope the US can at least give England a run for their money. They've proven they can do it against Spain, Bradley just needs to get them out and playing well early.

Group G is ridiculous, IMO. Two powers, Drogba, and an unpredictable North Korea team... should be VERY fun to watch.

17. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The only thing unpredictable about North Korea is if Kim Jong-Il shows up and blows up the stadium. Maybe they could do something in another group, but all three of those teams should have no trouble with the North Koreans. Who qualifies could very easily come down to who beats North Korea by how much.

18. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm saying in a tactical (and not talent) sense. Maybe Kim Jong-Il does have his hands on it and they come out playing a 1-6-3. To me (and my lack of knowledge), it just seems that NK may play a different style than what they might be used to. I also said they won't beat them, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some tight matches, and maybe an upset.

19. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

I agree with most of what has been said about the Draw. Here's my predictions:

South Africa will now definitely be out in the first round, losing either 2 or all 3 of their games (the only team they might force a draw out of is Uruguay). They don't have much chance of getting any points against Mexico and France, due to a lacklustre strike force and inconsistent midfield. France and Mexico should go through from Group A.

I think Greece will not go through in Group B. I'd say South Korea and Argentina have the best chances, but if the Nigerians can surprise Argentina like they did in 2002, they also have a decent chance.

I think England and the U.S.A. are pretty sure bets to qualify out of group C. Algeria will get hammered, but the Slovenians will put up a good fight.

I think Germany and Ghana will be too strong for the Socceroos and Serbia. The Serbs are generally maddeningly inconsistent, but if they get it together, they can upset the Apple Cart in Group D.

Netherlands and Cameroon should be through from Group E, based on depth of talent. Japan will fight hard, but they did fail to beat South Africa recently. The Danes might cause an upset, though.

Italy should be safely through in Group F, followed by Slovakia, who have done pretty well in the Qualifying rounds. I don't think New Zealand has much chance and Paraguay always fuck up at World Cups - S.A. beat them in 2002 and S.A. beat them in 2008 in a friendly, 3-0.

I think it's safe to say North Korea will be eliminated first in Group G. Other than that, it's pretty tough to call. Brazil should qualify, but the second spot is up for grabs. I do favour Portugal over Ivory Coast for that second spot, though.

Spain and Chile should go through in Group H. The Swiss are decent, but Spain will hammer them, provided they have their best players fit. I don't think Honduras has much chance - if David Suazo gets injured, they're finished. Honduras' best players (Guevara and Pavon) are past it, in my opinion.

20. Porkins

Porkins
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Top notch draw for the States, as others have said. Good potential lineup for the second round two. We gave Germany quite a run for their money in 2002, and if Ghana/Australia somehow manage to come out on top of that group (or we win the group and play their 2nd placed team), that's pretty much a dream match up for the Round of 16.