Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2009 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Puffman, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

Ooooo, I'm not real sure about illegal forward pass call, but I'll sure as hell take it. It looked to me like he just lost the ball trying to reach the sideline.

Pick-6, lets see if it stands...

WOOO MOTHER EFFING HOOO!!!!

I can't believe the Saints are going to pull this thing out after, what, 5 turnovers? Its a nice change of pace from the assraping I've been taking today in fantasy.

2. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wasn't that on a 5th down. First down was the play he threw it out of bounds and they said loss of down and 5 yards. So it is 3rd down and Williams drops and on 4th Henne overthrows. So the pick came on the next play which would make it th 5th down. Did I miss something.

3. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

I thought the same thing. But from the looks of it, this is what happened: the penalty happened on 1st down. Normally, you would add the yards and replay the down. The penalty made it 2nd and 8 (5 yards from the spot of the foul) instead of 1st and 15. So they got it right, I think.

Edit: 6-0, baby. I'm friggin' pumped up for this team and proud as hell of the way they fought back. Any other year this team would have folded. It takes an unreal amount of leadership to do something like that on this level. Awesome win.

4. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But if that is the case than there was no loss of down and no one explained shit on TV, they didn't even mention it.

5. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

But there was a loss of down- it became 2nd down instead of 1st. It's not like a stroke penalty in golf, where if you hit it in the water and it goes from 1 stroke to 3.

6. shake n bake

shake n bake
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Colts say Sanders was on the 25 snap limit and that's why he was pulled.

7. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

When Eli Manning calls "Omaha," the next call is live. It was cool/interesting/informative the first time Cris Collinsworth mentioned this. Now it's just kind of annoying.

edit: Ok that last one, pointing out that Bertrand Berry had picked up on this call and was using it to jump the snap, was good, I'll give you a pass on that, thanks Cris.

8. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watching that game with a bunch of Steelers fans was beyond painful.

However, I got a phone number from one of them. And she's cute. And knows football, which is bonus.

This random football bar may pay out bug. Let's see what happens.

9. Bob the Builder

Bob the Builder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

One of the more painful games for a Viking fan today. I suppose it makes up for the San Fran miracle, but that tripping call to take back the touchdown to Rice and the tipped ball right into a Steeler's hands were awful. Statistically, we thoroughly dominated a good Steelers team, even without Winfield in there we didn't let Ben do shit. Truly miserable.

10. Facepalm

Facepalm
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Talk about terrible games...good ol' Jake Delhomme threw another THREE interceptions today for a grand total of 10 on the year (and this was only week 7). He's throwing at least two INTs a game. The fact that the Carolina Panthers gave this man a $43 million dollar contract extension in the offseason is mind-boggling.

I absolutely cannot believe that we lost to the Bills today.

11. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cummon now, the Saints are good but give a little credit to the Dolphins collapsing as an organization.

24 rushes in the 1st half, only 8 in the 2nd.

Why did they call a timeout at the end of the first half? The friggin kicker was on the field!

Ted Ginn and his family suck. He has become a liability. Sit him down already.

And dont even get me started on Gibril Wilson. I LOVED that 65 yard slap fight with Shockey. Jesus, grab his face mask, horse collar him, grab his cup, do something besides 45 yards of slapping. And then you whiff on a 3rd down tackle to keep their drive alive. The Dolphins signed him after the Raiders cut him. The. RAIDERS.cut.him. If the Raiders cut you, you should go directly to a driver job at UPS. They should have a program set up just for that.

The officiating in that game was pisspoor. On both ends.

12. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

NFL looking at referee safety

One proposed idea is letting them wear helmets. It actually makes sense, especially if they give them something like a hockey helmet. It just produces a humorous image in my mind though.

13. valeo

valeo
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Can someone please explain to me why Gilbride called for Eli to drop back 40 times in a game where the Giants were only behind by more than one score once? Jacobs was running over the Cardinals and Gilbride insisted on dropping Eli back repeatedly. Despite the fact that the pass protection couldn't handle the MLB blitz and subsequently Eli couldn't find his receivers in the man coverage the Cards were handing him when they loaded the box every fucking play. yet some how Jacobs is still putting up 5 yards a carry, and he only gets the ball 13 times? 40 FUCKING DROPBACKS? All the Goddamn 3 and outs, combined with Feagles punting the ball shorter than Hotwheelz could left the defense trying to keep the Cardinals from scoring from midfield every damn series. Defense played great tonight. The offense and Jeff Feagles didn't belong on the damn field.

FUCK.

14. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why does it matter that mark Sanchez ate a hot dog on the sideline?? Why on earth did he have to apologize for that?

I guess it's unprofessional?? WTF........Does anyone know?

15. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why the fuck does Andy Reid keep doing the wildcat plays???? They have NEVER been useful!! Ever!!

Just stick to the normal play!!

Keep Vick on the sideline.........................

16. Ryan Leaf

Ryan Leaf
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

God Jaws is annoying, although Gruden is a fantastic color guy. AT one point, Jaws was saying something ridiculously self evident, and Gruden looked straight down the barrel of the camera and laughed at him. Anyone else catch this? I'm glad I backed the Eagles here, they should beat the spread.

17. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

18. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why is that relevant? What does his playing background have to do with his ability to coach? That's a poorly-worded post: he doesn't have "lack of football experience," because that implies he hasn't been around the game at all. He's been coaching in the NFL for nearly 15 years.

Bill Belichick played center in college, but if you read Education of a Coach, even his father described his potential in pro ball as hopeless. Jon Gruden's only playing experience was as a backup QB at Dayton. Mike Shanahan was briefly a college QB before a career-ending hit sent him to coaching. My point: success as a coach doesn't hinge upon prior success as a player.

Considering LJ hasn't been relevant in 3 seasons, he may want to listen to what Todd Haley has to say. There's many problems wrong with the Chiefs, but their head coach isn't one of them.

19. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Very true, but that's not what I was getting at. I wasn't implying that Todd Haley lacks ability...rather, that he lacks credibility in an NFL locker room.

When you say "ability to coach" you have to take into account the unique nature of football coaching. In the NFL, where assistant staffs can number anywhere from a dozen to nearly twenty, being a head coach normally has very little to do with play calling and game prep and everything to do with leadership and responsibility. And in a sport that is so physically demanding, what the military refers to as "moral authority" goes a long way in establishing respect. It's very hard to put your body on the line for someone that has very little understanding of what it means to take or deliver a hit or a block.

I don't doubt that Todd Haley has learned enough about the sport of football over the years to earn a living on a pro football staff. But there are plenty of football scientists who lack the kind of qualities it takes to be a head coach (just look at Charlie Weiss.), because being able to design a play and having the guts to call/not call it in a game are two entirely different things. Head coaches can sometimes be complete dunces but still get a lot out of their players. Shit, Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl once. Although to be fair, I'll admit that my perspective is colored by own football playing experience as well as military experience, since I would have had a hard time taking an HR officer seriously if one of them all of a sudden took command of my ship.

20. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Larry Johnson is a fucking moron for making those comments. He's averaging 2.7 yards per carry, playing poorly, and his reaction is to blame the coaches. Did he even suggest any legitimate problems with the coaching itself? Haley might not have been in the huddles, but he's been in the league a lot longer than Johnson. He has the experience to see how tough the game can be on players. If you read his bio you can see he's been obsessed with the sport since he was a kid. All I'm seeing from this is that Larry Johnson is playing like shit and wants someone to blame.

In other news, I think Fisher should just go ahead and start Vince Young. By now they've probably accepted that they won't make the playoffs this year and you might as well try to find out if he can be a franchise QB. I don't think he'll ever be good enough for this league, but if they want to keep saying he's the future of them team they might as well give him a chance to prove it. If he dissapoints again they can start exploring other options in the offseason.