Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2009 NBA Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by El Tee, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

2. Billy Hoyle

Billy Hoyle
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I got this text from one of my friends right after Lebron pinned Rondo on a fast break: "Dude come out tonight Jenna said OH MY GOD LEBRON JUMPS SO HIGH AND BLOCKS SHOTS." Pretty accurately describes that play, I think.

God, I love basketball season. I didn't even realize how much I missed Charles Barkley until I saw his big beautiful head glistening in HD tonight.

3. roy jones

roy jones
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Lebron has a habit of wanting to be a perimeter player or settle for the jumpers. Combine that with the Cavs offensive strategy of standing around until 3 seconds on the clock and shoot a wild shot looking for a foul, and Lebron's going to take a step back with Shaq this season.

Lebron plays his best in the paint, and Shaq's presence will only draw the defense in. I know it has only been 1 game into the season, but we're still playing the same shitty basketball we did to close the season. This team is horrible outside of a two players ( and Shaq's not going to play 82 this year). On the radio today, they were talking about how deep the bench is and I'm still thinking it's verrrrrry suspect.

I'm so tired of rooting for losers. Hello second seed and an early exit from the playoffs!

4. cuOL66

cuOL66
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Oh my god. A legitimate, SERIOUSLY THOUGHT OUT analysis of what is wrong in Cleveland and why the Shaq trade guarantees LBJ is leaving in a year. I came on here to primarily stretch my writing/NBA muscles, but you said everything I wanted to.

I am really just happy the NBA is back...oh, and if you love basketball/the NBA get Simmons' new book. Wal Mart was selling it at ridiculous discounts.

5. Old Crow

Old Crow
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

6. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I totally would have bet on My-Key Moore getting called for the first foul of a game, too. Easy money right there...easy money.

7. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

By the way, I just want to reiterate how much of a beast DeJuan Blair is. I just finished watching the game on a 30 minute DVR delay and this kid is a rebounding machine with some low post moves mixed in for good measure. I'm calling my shot right now: The Beast will be 1st Team All-Rookie.

8. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Jesus Christ the Knicks look terrible. Gallinari made 7 3's, though it looked like most of them came in garbage time.

9. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Tommy Nunez thing wouldn't surprise me. Anyone who thinks that series was called fairly is an idiot or a Spurs fan (and don't get me started on the suspensions handed down after Nash was hit). If this is all true, then I can't blame Donaghy for betting on games. If I was part of a bunch of corrupt officiating, I'd try to cash in, too. For now, I'll reserve judgment. It's possible that he's making some/all of this up.

Unsurprisingly, the NBA threatened to sue his publisher if they released the book, then denied doing it. Stay classy, Stern & Co.

Brandon Marshall plays in the NBA?

Hint: players with one game of experience don't rate nicknames. Let's wait for him to keep up that kind of production for a season or two before we canonize him.

In other news, the sky is blue and the sun sets in the west. Next summer can't come fast enough. It doesn't even have to be LeBron or Bosh; just get someone good.

10. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Bosh would be nice but, if he's your number 1 player you aren't winning a championship. If we can't get LeBron or Wade, we are fucked cause that means we're signing Bosh or Amar'e to a max deal and looking at an Eastern Conference Finals ceiling, at best. God help Jimmy Dolan if LeBron signs with the (Brooklyn) Nets.

11. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm a Knicks fan...
    So basically I'm just waiting for 2010 and hoping that this coming off-season will land us LeBron.

12. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I just don't get this... Why would Lebron want to go to New York? Aren't Miami, the Clips, the Nets, and staying in Cleveland better options?

13. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I will agree with you there. The Heat are bad, but they embarassed the Knicks.
    How much of it is D'Antoni's absolutel refusal to work any sort of defense? His big concept is switching on every pick and roll, and sometimes just for the fun of it.

In a semi-related story, Wade looked horrible and the rest of the Heat looked better than expected. Wade's body languauge mirrors the Heat's philosophy for this season - Fuck it, let's just wait for FA to begin! They were up by 30+ in the 3rd quarter with Wade shooting 10-22 and these were his quotes after the game:

1) Guard Dwyane Wade said it will be interesting to see how the shots are distributed in the first unit. "I like my shots," he said with a smile, before continuing, "Michael loves his shots. That's the difference."

Like Wade doesnt "Love" his shots too?

2)"It takes more than a good first unit to win," Wade said. "I'm sure there are going to be times I'm out there and will say, `Get Udonis in and sit Michael down.' "

Wade makes ingame substitution decisions? Wow!

3) "It's still a work in progress," Wade said. "For Game One, it worked. Udonis came off the bench and still played 30 minutes, had a very productive game with nine rebounds. We'll continue to work it out every game and get more comfortable with each other."

For Game One, it worked? Nice positive attitude.

Yeah, dont read anything into Wade buying a $5million condo in Chicago last offseason.

14. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Miami is a better option cause they can sign two FAs.

Clippers, no, because they are cursed (see Blake Griffin) and you could argue he wouldn't even be the best player in LA. Sure, Kobe will continue to decline, but for now he's arguably better than LeBron. And no one in LA gives two shits about the Clippers. They're the redheaded step child of Los Angeles.

The Nets are a better option with Russian billionaire money and Jay-Z facilitating the move to Brooklyn , Devin Harris, Courtney Lee, and the better Lopez twin.

Staying in Cleveland is probably a better option as well.

Chicago would probably be better too, they have a lot of good young players including one of the best young point guards Derrick Rose.

Basically, there's a lot of reasons why New York is not the best place. Hopefully, the rumored Nike $50 million kicker for playing in a major market + playing in D'Antoni's system where he would average a triple double + hopefully Gallo becoming Dirk Nowitzki 2.0 (+ if we move Eddy Curry or Jared Jeffries, a second max FA) convinces him otherwise.

I'm going to go light myself on fire.

15. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there.

If the Cavs called the Lakers and said, "Trade ya Lebron for Kobe, straight up", the Lakers pull the trigger on that in a heartbeat. Kobe is a cold-blooded killer, sure. He can go for 81 points, absolutely. However, I take Lebron over Kobe because of the passing, the defense, and the fact that he can move the way he can when he's the size of Karl Malone. Lebron is to the 3 spot what Shaq was to the 5 when he came in the league: How do you officiate him? How do you stop him?

16. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh darn, a max deal for one of the two best PFs in the game? Sounds like tragedy, really. Dude, LeBron and/or Wade would be great, but don't pretend like Bosh and Amare aren't very good players, because they are.

All 4 are signed through 2011, and MIGHT be free agents if they opt out. If. That's not to say that they will. Right now, the list of UFAs in 2010 isn't that impressive, really:
    Of all those guys, only Johnson I would consider to be a big-name signing. The rest will be too old (Manu, Allen, Shaq, Camby) or just aren't very good (McGrady, Miller).

Failing LeBron or Wade, I'd say getting Bosh/Amare + Johnson in one offseason would be huge. Of course, I'm just speculating at this point, but my point is that there are more than 2 guys worth getting next summer.

17. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I say a team that can sign Bosh and Joe Johnson is a pretty damn good team, especially if they had somebody like a Luol Deng/Iguodala/Trevor Ariza playing third fiddle. Look at when Detroit won their most recent championship: They did it without a superstar. DWade and Lebron can command max contracts, but they are not going to want to carry the team the entire time themselves (see Wade, Dwyane and Miami). If I were an NBA GM and had the kind of cap money the Knicks would have, for example, I'd let everyone go crazy bidding for Wade and Lebron, and I'd grab Bosh, Johnson and maybe throw some money at Jermaine O'Neal or Brad Miller to come and rebound, play D, and get 12 ppg. It's almost like doing a fantasy league: Would you rather draft first and get Lebron and player #30, or get two top 15 guys?

18. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Can that Knicks team beat the Magic in a seven game series? What about the Nets if they get LeBron? Or the Heat if they resign Wade and add another free agent? Or the Bulls if they add a quality free agent?

19. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That conversation is all academic. It depends on what else they add: A Knicks team starting Joe Johnson, Chris Bosh, and David Lee is a solid team. I think at that point, the problem is the no defense philosophy. No team is going to win the NBA championship in this day and age by purely scoring the ball. That Knicks team would get the shit kicked out of them by Boston because Boston can actually stop them from scoring. There is no way in hell the Knicks can win a championship with D'Antoni coaching.

20. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Truth. His coaching is a fun novelty act, but I'm not convinced any team can win playing to score 120 every night.

Like Batdog said, it depends. These questions assume just as much about those teams as it does about what the Knicks do next offseason. You assume the Heat will keep Wade (which by itself doesn't make that team a contender; he needs help), but also suppose that the Nets could get LeBron.