Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2009-10 NHL Postseason

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Vanilla, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I figure the Postseason thread is in order now that the regular season is done.

NHL.com Playoff Schedule for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Also, I've setup a TiB group over at the CBC Playoff Pool. You get to pick 12 players per round, you have a salary cap, can give 3 players double the points by starring them. It's pretty basic, if you can't figure it out.... well don't bother.

<a class="postlink" href="http://hockeypool.cbc.ca/cbc/hnicp10/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://hockeypool.cbc.ca/cbc/hnicp10/home</a>

Group name: tib
    Password: idiot

2. Muney

Muney
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I signed up and made my picks in the pool. We'll see how that goes.

3. BeerMonster

BeerMonster
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm in. I did okay in the regular season pools on CBC I guess, staying in the top 5k for most of the time. Nothing too excellent by any means though. Hopefully the playoffs will go a little better.

4. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just finished making my picks. I'm JagrBomb on there. Wish it'd let us see who other people picked. I'm intrigued. For me:

Picking a goalie wound up being the hardest for me. Nabokov, Brodeur, and Miller are all out b/c I think their teams will lose. Howard, Rask, Theodore, and Niemi bother me b/c I'm afraid if they begin poorly, they'll be replaced. I feel confident Pittsburgh will definitely get by Ottawa so I went with MAF. I also feel that Howard's going to do well in the first round. Real afraid about that coming back to bite me in the ass though. Plus I'm pretty stacked with Caps and Pens players. If both of those teams do poorly, I'm guaranteed to be out of it.

Attached Files:

5. Creelmania

Creelmania
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm Creelmania on there as well

I guess they count previous playoff points, but I was surprised Henrik Sedin was only a 3 on there. I've been burned in the past by picking defensemen too high in fantasy drafts before, since they rarely get more points than even the lowest forwards picked, so I just went with some fairly low ranked d-men to keep my value count down.

It was a little tricky to figure out with player to give the star to. Ya, Ovie and Crosby will probably get the most points, but they'll also probably roll through their series in 4 or 5 games, whereas the Nucks are probably going to at least 6. The amount of games the teams'll play definitely throws a wrench into these kinds of picks.

I'm not all that confident on Theodore, but he's getting the start, and Montreal's not gonna put up a huge fight so he should stay in for the majority of this first series at least.

*** Just switched Kuba for Paul Martin ***

Attached Files:

6. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm pretty happy to see people in Arizona getting excited over playoff hockey.
    Throw the snake

I know we have a lot of purists here who want the team back above the 49th parallel, but the players don't choose where the team is located and they deserve to have some support when they play. Plus, I just find it to be funny.

Speaking of southern teams, Tampa Bay cleans house.

7. LukesBoxHero

LukesBoxHero
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

LukesBoxHero on the site just like here.

[​IMG]

Lookin' for Phoenix not to choke and a big round out of D. Keith

8. BeerMonster

BeerMonster
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have no idea how to screen cap like that because I'm a loser, so here are my picks in regular old font:

Kane
    Hossa
    Toews
    Ovechkin*
    J Stall
    Spezza
    Edler*
    Johnsson
    Leopold
    Martin
    Luongo*
    Brodeur

9. Dubiosity

Dubiosity
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm in with the same name.

West Forward #1 [2] Kris Versteeg (CHI)
    West Forward #2 [3] Dany Heatley (SJ)
    West Forward #3 [3] Patrick Kane (CHI)
    East Forward #1 [3] Daniel Alfredsson (OTT)
    East Forward #2 [4] Alexander Ovechkin (WAS)
    East Forward #3 [2] Tomas Fleischmann (WAS)
    West Defence #1 [2] Shea Weber (NAS)
    West Defence #2 [2] Duncan Keith (CHI)
    East Defence #1 [2] Tyler Myers (BUF)
    East Defence #2 [1] Joe Corvo (WSH)
    West Goalie [3] Jimmy Howard (DET)
    East Goalie [3] Jose Theodore (WAS)

Probably a little too Caps-heavy since I'm pretty confident in their chances to crush the Habs while not sweeping them, thus playing more games. I might shift around a little bit before tomorrow to even that out, but overall I'm pleased. Seems like a fun idea for a pool.

10. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Erk33 in the pool.

Henrik Sedin
    Jonathan Toews
    Kris Versteeg
    Sidney Crosby
    Alexander Ovechkin *
    David Krejci
    Shea Weber *
    Rob Blake
    Joe Corvo
    Zdeno Chara
    Jimmy Howard *
    Tukka Rask

I know very little about hockey. Hopefully it goes well.

11. Dubiosity

Dubiosity
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Ended up tweaking so I could get Ovie and Crosby. Had to be done. First round predictions:

East:
    WAS over MTL in 6
    NJ over PHI in 7
    BUF over BOS in 7
    PIT over OTT in 6

West:
    COL over SJ in 6
    CHI over NSH in 6
    VAN over LA in 6
    DET over PHX in 7

I like a lot of the underdogs this year, but not enough to pick many upsets. The Sharks could very well win the Cup with the team they have, but I'm sick of picking them only to watch them choke it away. Plus has Nabokov risen to the occasion for one big game in his career? Playoffs and olympics have not been good to this man.

12. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm still changing my stuff around. I thought I nailed it the first time around, but I keep making changes that are making me more and more comfortable with my lineup. My goalie situation is interesting. I hope it works out. Once its actually finalized for me, I'll throw it up here.

What games are everyone going to try and watch tonight?

I have to watch Sens-Pens, huge Pens fan.
    But the Philly-NJ series is really compelling too.
    In the west, I really want to see Phoenix stomp out the Wings. Fuck the Wings.
    And then in SJ Colorado, I'm curious if SJ will choke again, and if the young kids of Colorado will be able to play under the pressure of (a lot of) their first NHL playoff game.

Fuck NHL Gamecenter not running anymore. I want to watch the games side by side.

13. Rumble

Rumble
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm Rumble, here is my 1st round.

F West Kane, Patrick CHI 3
    F West Byfuglien, Dustin CHI 1
    F West Hossa, Marian CHI 3
    F East Backstrom, Nicklas WAS 4
    F East Ovechkin, Alexander WAS 4 *
    F East Pominville, Jason BUF 2
    D West Keith, Duncan CHI 2 *
    D West Lidstrom, Nicklas DET 2
    D East Goligoski, Alex PIT 2
    D East Corvo, Joe WAS 1
    G West Niemi, Antti CHI 3
    G East Theodore, Jose WAS 3 *

I went pretty crazy with CHI.

This is my first time on the CBC pool. Are the players caps set in stone or will they adjusted after each round? ie, if PHI gets on a tear and go deep into the playoffs will Brian Boucher move from a 2 to a 4?

Edit: showing star players

14. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

From what I remember the past few years, it's set in stone.

15. Wildcard Bitches

Wildcard Bitches
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Oh NHL playoffs...how I've missed you.

Quick sidenote: I want to get a new Red Wings jersey, anyone have a particular site they recommend? I'm living the poor college student life so dropping $300 on a jersey is something I'd rather not do.

Here's what I got

East

1. Washington Capitals vs 8. Montreal Canadiens
    2. New Jersey Devils vs 7. Philadelphia Flyers
    3. Buffalo Sabres vs 6. Boston Bruins
    4. Pittsburgh Penguins vs. 5. Ottawa Senators

West

1. San Jose Sharks vs 8.Colorado Avalanche
    2. Chicago Blackhawks vs 7. Nashville Predators
    3. Vancouver Canucks vs. 6.Los Angeles Kings
    4. Phoenix Coyotes vs. 5. Detroit Red Wings

Pretty standard, but I gotta go with my gut on the Canucks/Kings series. Red Wings are just too good right now. Healthy, experienced, and one hell of a hot goalie. I expect Kronwall to set the tone for the series with a MONSTER hit in Game 1. Here's to hoping the Red Wings youth (I'm looking at you guys Helm, Eaves, Ericcson, Miller) can hold it together. Jimmy Howard For Prez!

16. Dubiosity

Dubiosity
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

That's a bummer. I'm not sure if it's going on this year, but typically the Center Ice package runs a week-long promo the first week of the playoffs so every game should be available to those with the appropriate cable/satellite providers. It's not side by side action, but at least you won't miss any games for that initial stretch.

17. Creelmania

Creelmania
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

SGSeller.com

$50 for a Reebok NHL jersey (or any other professional league) with name and numbers.

I've bought two jerseys off here, and my friend who told me about it has bought two of there as well. It was a little tricky figuring out how to order sizing, since there isn't an acual place to enter your size. Instead, just enter what you want in the message box. I e-mailed back and forth with the person running the website and managed to work it out, but it was definitely in broken engrish with some sort of oriental characters in the signature of the e-mail.

The quality seems a little lower than the jersey I got off NHL.com, but for only $50 compared to $200 that they normally go for, it's definitely worth it if you can find the jersey you want on there.

18. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Oh yea, here's my lineup. Looks like 3 points already...

Attached Files:

19. Creelmania

Creelmania
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

So with two games on at the same time every night for the first round, how do you decide which game to watch?

I chose the simple route and brought the TV in my room downstairs into the family room so I can watch both at once.
    I was sitting there debating buying a second cable box and cable splitter when I remembered that I've got an HDMI chord for my computer and just hooked that up with the Pens/Sens game off CBC.ca with Philly/NJ on the other TV

Attached Files:

20. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Flyers vs. Devils Stream

Enjoying this game alot more than Pens Sens. Maybe its because I have Boucher starred in the pool and want to see him get a shutout.