Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2009-10 NCAA Bowl Games

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Kampf Trinker, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Timo

Timo
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Thats not what he's saying at all. You have to look at this from Colt's perspective. To start his career, nobody outside of the Texas coaching staff thought he would be any good, and being VY's replacement was tough enough even when you don't look like you're 12.
    Last year, he has one of the best years a QB has ever had, until the goat rodeo in Lubbock he almost won, gets screwed out of a Heisman, and then watches a team he beat by 10 points jump him in the polls to go to the National Championship.
    We all know what happens this year. Colt was going to go out just like Vince Young, no Heisman, but with a crystal football. His whole career at Texas would be defined by this performance. For the first few minutes of that football game, Texas looked bulletproof. And then the hit came. Colt suffered a stinger in the same arm his freshman year at KSU. It crippled the whole team, and it showed.
    I bleed burnt orange, if you couldn't tell. I'm not going to get into the "We would have won by 3 touchdowns..." crowd. Its a pointless argument. Besides its what OU has been saying all year, and OU sucks. Mack made the decision not to give Gilbert meaningful playing time all year, and we see what it got us. I can understand being mad at the coaches for the shovel pass, and the empty set formation with a green QB, but I'm not mad about that. I'm mad that a fine young man like Colt McCoy, who has had to swallow so many bitter pills, didn't get his shot to silence his critics. As you can tell from his post game interview, he's pretty humble. As great as it would have been to come out, play hurt, and lead Texas to a national championship, he has bigger dreams.
    To contrast that, Alabama scored a fuck you touchdown when they could have run the clock out, and McElroy came out on the field with the 'Horns down. Stay classy, Tuscaloosa!

2. falconjets

falconjets
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I got really excited for a few minutes there after Gilbert started playing well, the kid looks like he is going to be pretty good and that game will probably help his development more than the entire spring practice. That play at the end of the first half really killed Texas, not saying it was a bad call just some bad luck/timing, especially because it would have changed a lot about the second half decision making.
    I was surprised that Alabama went for either of those final two touchdowns, they could have run the clock out without giving the ball back to Texas at all if they had just gone for a few first downs and then knelt the ball. Although it proved inconsequential because Gilbert turned the ball over it was a pretty stupid call to even give Texas the ball back.

On another note, Pete Carroll's ass better stay in LA.

3. finski8

finski8
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Here's my take:

I hate that McCoy got injured for two reasons--for one, the game undoubtedly would have been better and less sloppy had he played, and him being out undermines the validity of the outcome of the game--from now until the end of the college football world, people are ALWAYS going to say, "What if?" And two--to have to watch the majority of the most important game of your life from the sidelines--well, it's happened to me before**, and I can't describe how shitty that feeling of helplessness is--it fucking sucks beyond words, and no one (except for maybe a Notre Dame football or Duke basketball player), deserves that happening to them.

As for the actual game:

I don't think Texas lost because of the McCoy/Gilbert thing. They lost because of poor coaching decisions and sloppy play that were out of Gilbert's control. In the first half Texas (can't remember which receiver, I think #9) dropped a pass for a touchdown--inexcusable on the receiver's part--7 points. The OC called a risky play...with under 30 seconds to go in the half...with the ball far away from scoring position...with a true freshman QB who had never really played, not to mention in the biggest game of his lifetime--Very stupid on the coach's part, and also inexcusable--7 points. So there's two simple plays that total 14 points alone, enough that Texas more than likely would have won with them.
    Then there are the 400,000 passes that the receivers dropped. Then there's Bama's DL, which simply outplayed Texas's OL--also out of Gilbert's control. For all intents and purposes, I think Gilbert played a good game, especially considering the circumstances. If you take away the plays that were out of his control (i.e. the myriad of easily-catchable passes that were dropped, the passes that were bobbled by receivers for interceptions, the bad calls by the OC, the OL giving sub-par pass coverage ag. Bama's superior DL, the fumble resulting from him being blindsided, all of the penalties they committed during vital times in the second half) and the nearly meaningless interception at the end of the game--one might even go so far as to say Gilbert played a great game, one that definitely rivaled that of McElroy's, and possibly even McCoy's had he played.
    But regardless of whether you think Gilbert played a good game, or that McCoy would have played better than him...the fact remains that Gilbert played well enough that they still should have won the game, but they got fucked over by at least one really bad coaching decision, a TON of dropped passes, etc. And you have to give credit to Bama's rushing defense and their offense overall, neither of which resulted from the McCoy/Gilbert issue.

So, TL;DR-- Gilbert put Texas in a position to win, so you can't blame the loss on him...and Alabama deserved to win.

**I was only in high school when it happened to me--but the game was in front of a record-breaking crowd of over 23,000 in Rupp Arena, the Mecca of college basketball. It's worth noting that basketball is just as much a religion in Kentucky as football is in Texas and Alabama, so this would have literally been a dream come true for me. Having said that, I can hardly imagine how McCoy feels since the BCS championship is obviously a much bigger deal than this, since he's worked much harder and longer for it than I did, etc.
    EDIT: My pity for McCoy is even further exacerbated by the fact that, as Timo more-eloquently said, McCoy is such a humble, polite, likable young guy--as opposed to someone like VY, or Brady Quinn (inherently unlikable since he went to Notre Dame.)

4. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yeah dude, that was the point I was trying to make. If you love football, which McCoy obviously does, to sit out for the biggest game of your life is a tough, tough thing to have to go through. I was fifteen when I learned I couldn't play football anymore after a car accident, and I broke down in tears after the first game of the season. It is hard man, aside from the money, the fame, or whatever else, it is hard because you really do love it.

So yeah, you can hate Texas, you can be apathetic because the guy's a superstar or has a smoking hot girlfriend or whatever, that's all well and good. But some of us who have been through something resembling his situation (on a much smaller scale, I'm sure) can attest to the fact that it is really, really hard to go through what he went through because of the passion you have for the game.

5. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Wait a fucking minute, why are we not talking about the rapscallion who risked life and limb to dance carefree across the Rose Bowl turf during the game? Pictures.

[​IMG]

You got balls, my friend.