Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2009-10 NCAA Bowl Games

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Kampf Trinker, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

A writer from the San Antonio Express-News compared the show "Jersey Shore" to some of the college football teams this year, I found it pretty hilarious.

It's a Jersey Thing

(I'm still pretty retaahded when it comes to working this site, and didn't quite know how to quote the article instead of linking...)

2. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

So much for that....that was just ugly. Oregon State's secondary couldn't cover Dennis Pitta for their lives.

3. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

ESPN is reporting that Urban Meyer is stepping down as the head coach at the University of Florida. WTF? Health issues I'm guessing.

4. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Charlie Strong should have waited to jump to Louisville.

5. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

He's only agreed to terms as far as I'm aware. No contract has been signed, so he can still jump ship and stay at Florida.

Other than him, Stoops would be my guess.

6. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll throw Butch Davis into the mix. He's done well at UNC with a limited talent pool, and he's recruited the state of Florida before.

7. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Now he's just taking an indefinite leave of absence. Steve Adazzio will take over for the rebuilding year that next year is going to be for the Gators. Poor URB couldn't handle the thought of having a average season on his coaching resume?

8. shake n bake

shake n bake
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Texas Tech Coach Mike Leach suspended indefinitely and will miss their bowl game (Alamo Bowl vs Michigan State) after complaints about how he treated a player after an injury.

Supposedly after a player wouldn't practice with a mild concussion Leach ordered a trainer to lock him in a closet for a few hours, and repeated the confinement again a few days later.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4776848

Wow, that's fucked up.

9. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's Craig James' kid, which is why I feel the swift action is occuring.

10. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone listen to Leach's lawyer over the phone on Outside the Lines? That is easily the most awkward interview I've ever heard. Leave it to a lawyer to...talk...like...he...has...a...speech...disorder.

11. zyang31

zyang31
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Anyone think Leach is a dead man walking? Even if this injunction succeeds, he's essentially just undermined his employer's authority. No way TTU's AD will stand for this given their historical dispute. Either Leach is gone or the AD will be.

12. shake n bake

shake n bake
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

TT coming back hard at the accusing player, this might have been a pissed off ex-player using his fathers' job at ESPN to get back at the coach he didn't like.

This is the "closet" they say he was locked in, it's a big shed with a cooler full of ice and a sink with a hose to drink from.

A ton of assistant coaches, players and ex-players have jumped to Leach's defense and basically called the accusing player a lazy shithead.

What it comes down to in my mind was whether the player had a legitimately diagnosed concussion. If he did, Leech might not deserve to be fired, but deserves some kind of consequences for losing it and punishing a injured player for following medical advice. If the concussion is an exaggeration or fabrication like some of the other details are starting to look like then ESPN got taken for a ride.

#32 shake n bake, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  13. zyang31

zyang31
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

14. lugmastro

lugmastro
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Immersed in a culture devoid of human intelligence
    Good, I am glad Leach got fired. What an idiot. Especially now with all of the buzz about concussions in the NFL, you can't afford to do anything that stupid with a kid who may or may not have a concussion. To top it all off it wasn't like he didn't know who the kid's Dad was, how ignorant a move can you make Mike Leach. He just went from getting a chance at a top school to begging for work in a non-BCS conference.

Congrats Mike Leach you are the ASSHOLE of the week.

15. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I first read about this I thought Leach was a complete asshole and should be fired. But then I learned more about the background and now, while I don't condone what he did, I can understand his reasoning.

And I'm sure the $800k he was due at midnight tonight played no part in TT's decision.

As somebody said before, former and current players have
    come forward and said this kid was a spoiled primadonna with a whiny father. While the punishment may not have fit the crime, there was some evidence a crime was committed.

And from what I've read, the doctors did not diagnose the kid with a concussion, he came out and said he had one in what most people feel was an attempt to not practice because he was not getting enough playing time and Leach called his bluff.

Would it have been worse if he had been made to run stairs fpr 3 hours til he puked? If the kid did have a concussion, he could have been seriously hurt.

Its like Chris Rock said about OJ and Nicole...I don't support what he did, but I can understand more about why he did it.

16. zyang31

zyang31
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Assuming the kid did have a serious concussion, what did Mike Leach exactly do to worsen it? Make him stay in a dark, air conditioned room the size of a garage, then make him stay in the press conference room? In fact there's a quote from ESPN itself

source: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4779341

The only legitimate complaint seems to be that he punished Adam James for having a concussion. But given the recent information that the kid is a self-entitled prima-donna, it's far more likely that the punishment was targeted towards his attitude.

I don't see anything that Leach did wrong. Based on everything I've read about the case the far more likely scenario is like this-
    Kid gets concussion. He shows up next day with sunglasses and says he can't practice due to light sensitivity. Coaches send him to the garage in response where he can work out in the dark. The next day they prepare the conference room specifically for James. James gets humiliated and goes running to his dad.

And who gives a shit about who the kid's dad is? Why should that be a factor in how a coach runs his ship? Or are you saying kids should get special treatment based on who their parents are?

17. PIK_Toggle

PIK_Toggle
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

This is going to get real ugly, real quick. As noted above, a lot of coaches and players are coming to Leach's defense.

Dodd has a round up of emails defending Leach here: <a class="postlink" href="http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/19238949" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/ ... 2/19238949</a>.

The kid sounds like a lazy bastard. Leach should have kicked him off of the team a long time ago.

18. shake n bake

shake n bake
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Wow, just happened to come back to the TV right as there's a great finish to the Wyoming-Bowling Green game. Wyoming down 7, scores with 4 seconds remaining. They and goes for 2, for the win, instead of sending it to OT. Hits a open WR in the back of the endzone for the win. 43-42 Idaho.

19. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Texas Tech continously lowballed Leach, fucked around with him and refused to pay him hte money he should be getting. Even if he was kind of a dick, he kept them competitive and afloat in that hellhole they call the Big 12 South. They can kiss that goodbye. They deserve plenty of 6 and 7 win seasons as a result.

Anyone else watch the Sun Bowl? That stood out as the dirtiest, hardest hitting, cheap-shot packed football game I've seen in a long time.

Oh, and Nebraska KILLED in their game against Arizona. If they can get their offense off the mat and replace Suh and seniors, they're a BCS team next fall.

20. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This Auburn / Northwestern game is, bar none, the most thrilling football game I've ever seen with my own two eyes (I didn't see that OU / BSU Fiesta Bowl). From 21 - 7 down at the half, NW rallied for four TDs, with Kafka throwing almost eighty passes, end around passes for 2 point conversions, missed field goals, 5 picks by NW, 4 fumbles by Auburn, a roughing the kicker penalty giving the game back to NW after a fatal miss...Jesus.

LSU, meanwhile, is getting embarrassed.

EDIT: I can't stress it enough. 78 attempts. 532 passing yards. Kafka was NW's offense like nothing else I've ever seen