Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

'10-'11 NCAA Basketball

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Diablo, Nov 13, 2010.

1. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

St Johns recent games have no doubt been against some really tough teams (And they still have to play UConn, Pitt and Nova) but I don't think that they should be ranked at 12-8 and 4-5 in the conference.

I haven't looked but their RPI must be pretty high with the SOS that they have.

2. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They were #28 before they beat Duke.

3. bobdobolina12

bobdobolina12
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Duke's press was their own undoing. How many times did a big (usually Kelly) leave the rim exposed to the trailer in transition to go try to trap a guy in the corner?

As an ACC guy though, this is awful. It makes the entire league look like hell.

4. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No love for the Big 12 on this board? Kansas fucking killed it tonight. Players that don't normally see much play time really stepped it up tonight in the absence of Selbee and extra bench time for the Morris twins.

There was also a flash mob in one of the student sections. Not sure if that was shown on TV, but it was cool.

5. ouroboros

ouroboros
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Duke is looking like garbage so far against Carolina, and I'm loving every minute of it. Coach K looks like he's gonna stroke out.
    As long as the Heels stay out of foul trouble, it should be a nice win.

6. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, about that....

The Georgetown win over Cuse was nice and all, but the inability to make free throws, especially in big games, is killing me. Theoretically, they shoot 72% from the line, but JT3 teams always seem to pull this shit in big matchups.

7. ouroboros

ouroboros
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

yeah. I've got my foot in my mouth. with my shoe still on.
    Way to blow it, guys. You let Nolan and Curry get hot. You dont let that happen and win at Cameron.

Kendall Marshall looked good though. Still lots of growing as a team left to do. I'll be happy with a decent tournament showing this year..Is the Sweet 16 too much to ask?

8. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hehe. Ohio State lost; good thing it was to another Big10 team. Awesome game though. I get to look forward to the Spartans getting steam-rolled at Ohio on Tuesday...fun times.

9. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Were they the last undefeated team to go down? That makes the KU fans very happy.

10. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

....until Jacob Pullen just shit in their mouth. 38 points!??!

Where the fuck has this Wildcats team been all season!

11. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For the love of god. How do we turn the ball over 20 times? Honestly? Is it that much to ask a college basketball player to hold on to the ball?

And those foul calls!? Ref's you've gotta be kidding me. Final count was 26 MSU vs 12 OSU. More than double. How is that justified? I guess flailing all over the court when someone is near you is now considered a foul.

We played well today, and if it weren't for those two factors, we could have won. Hell, we could have won on the turnovers alone! Bah, I'm upset.

12. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fucking hell, the Big East is a gauntlet. That's ten conference teams now that have been ranked this year, with St. John's sneaking in at #25 this week after beating Pitt.

13. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

As we approach March Madness, I'm thinking that the Big East will win it this season. 10 Teams possibly in the tourney? Has to be some kind of record.

14. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hey hey, we won an away game!! Just gotta hold off Purdue at the Breslin Center on Sunday and we should be good to go for March.

It's almost the most wonderful time of the year!!!

15. Suit Jacket

Suit Jacket
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I wasn't aware that conferences won championships...

16. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It will be. The Big East sent 8 teams in 06, 08 and 2010, which is the current record. Barring any major collapses by these ten teams, there's an excellent chance they'll all make the tournament. If Marquette can pick up a few big upsets in the Big East Tournament (or against UConn tonight), they might even have a case to become the 11th team.

That being said, the Big East typically underachieves like crazy once the tournament actually starts, so picking one of them to win the title is by no means a lock. Since 2006, they've sent 37 teams to the tournament, and only 3 have made it to the Final Four (G'Town 07, Nova 09, WVU 10), and none reached the championship game. I'm hoping this is the year Nova changes that, but I wouldn't bet on it.

17. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck fuck shit cunt ass bitch fuck shit ass

Georgetown's Chris Wright (probably a second team all Big East player) breaks hand

As for the Big East, there's 8 locks, 2 more-likely-than-not's (Cincy and WVU), and then a bubble team (Marquette). But how many of these teams have the firepower to win it all? Georgetown might have before the Wright injury (they did win 8 straight BE games, after all), but not now. UConn doesn't have enough support for Walker. Nova, Cincy, WVU, Marquette, St. John's and UL simply lack the talent to go all the way. That leaves ND, Cuse, and PItt.

Cuse is so inconsistent that they're hard to judge. Are they the team that opened 18-0? Or are they the team that then lost the next four games?

ND has played consistently well, but I'm not convinced that Hansborough and Abromitis have the talent level to compete with, say, Kansas or OSU.

Of all ten teams entering the tournament, Pitt is the only one I'd be willing to place any money on.

18. bobdobolina12

bobdobolina12
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

This.
    They keep finding ways to win games, and the role players are all capable of stepping up if Gibbs and Wanamaker can't deliver. I remember thinking they were overrated at the start of the season. I regret ever having such a thought.

19. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

Looks like Gonzaga's dominance of the WCC might end tonight. Great game so far.

20. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Chris Wright should (might) be back for Georgetown's first NCAA tournament game.