Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

1 sheep, 2 sheep..3...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Ferris

Ferris
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Weed.

2. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I can't stay awake during movies. In the theater 9/10 I pass out, and watching something on the couch at night is a guarantee. Most nights I can't fall right asleep, I have a few go-to movies that put me right out. Hitman is one especially, I've probably watched the first ten minutes a few dozen times, but the movie in it's entirety two or three. DVDs with no menu music, or relaxing music (like Hitman), are big pluses in my book for when the thing spends seven or eight hours on the menu screen.

3. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

WWE Wrestling. Good god is that shit boring.

On a more serious note, the Food Network can usually put me to sleep if it's one of those slow moving, music-free, home cooking shows. I find that watching food preparation is very relaxing to me.

4. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I think of a slow song or a song from my past. I had a wind up clock thingiemabob when I was a kid. It ticked to the beat of a little song it played, I'd fall asleep to it quite often. I'll never forget the song. Anyway, think of it and play it over and over again in my head.

5. Pink Candy

Pink Candy
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I used to use Valerian. Then after a while, one didn't work. Then two didn't. Then three. Four pills produced such a vivid nightmare I was traumatized. I don't use it anymore.

Usually I spritz this vanilla/lavender spray from The Healing Garden. Instead of my usual shower at night, I'll take a warm bath with a Lush bath bomb that promotes sleep. Last time I used one called Waving Not Drowning and could barely keep my eyes open enough to dry off. That, coupled with the lavender spray lulls me right into sleep.

In the unlikely event that doesn't work, it helps to have a spouse that doesn't mind this: "Hey, I need to fall asleep, just lay there and let me do my thing, okay?" If sprays and bath goodies don't work, a good bang with a strong orgasm knocks my ass out cold.

6. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And then I take gravol afterwards to ward off the spins and mitigate any hangover. Works like a charm.

7. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

Tryptophan is a precursor substance to Serotonin, the chemical that your brain releases when you take E. Serotonin is also a sleep regulator. You can get Tryptophan from Banannas or milk or turkey and it will stimulate Serotonin production. But not by very much - because there's fuck all tryptophan in those foods to begin with, and the way they're delivered to your digestive system makes that almost unsuable.Tryptophan only works noticably on an empty stomach with no (or very, very little) protein following. Unless you're drinking five gallons of milk to wash down 3 turkeys and 50 banannas - it's not going to be noticable.

You get sleepy from eating too much turkey because you increase blood flow to your gastro intestinal tract and because all solid foods promote fatigue and lots of solid foods promote lots of solid fatigue and briefly surge your metabolic rate which diverts resources away from the rest of your body's functions triggering an impulse to rest.

You can buy 5HTP supplements over the counter in most health food stores that will give you a much better serotonin boost if you think that's what's messing with your sleep patterns. It also has an anti-depressive effect comparable to St John's wort if you have a serotonin production related depression problems and is generally good for clearing your head after dopamine crashes or serotonin depletion scatters from amphetamine use.

If you're a basically healthy person with a healthy diet - L-Tryptophan or 5HTP supplements won't really help you that much.

Sleep space hygeine has been the biggest help for my life long insomnia. I stopped reading/watching tv/listening to the radio in bed - the only things I do there now are fuck and sleep. I fall asleep inside of 5 minutes as soon as my head hits a pillow these days and have done for about a year after 15 years of almost constant insomnia that cost me a job at one point. I tried every sleep aid, over the counter and prescription I could find or talk a doctor into giving me. None of them helped worth a damn.

Excercise and doing some diet management stuff like actually eating breakfast as soon as I get up also helped (The theory goes that if you eat breakfast first thing in the morning, it tells your body that the food supply is assured and there's no need to worry about finding food before you sleep - that might be bullshit, but it helped with my sleep issues). I very occasionally use some basic meditation stuff like deliberately slowing my breathing rate and focusing on very slow, very deep breaths, or constantly chanting something with no meaning like the number 1 in my head to calm down my thoughts - but once the sleep hygeine thing settled a bit, that stuff pretty much stopped being necessary.

8. Lasersailor

Lasersailor
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

A fan helps me get to sleep. Being an avid sailor it's not the sound that puts me to sleep, but the wind. Growing up in some of my favorite places there was always a good sea breeze, so it taps into the sections of my brain that say I am comfortable, and so damn happy.

9. travdiddy84

travdiddy84
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

When I was little, I spent a lot of time watching those wrestling pay-per-views, like Wrestlemania. I found boxed sets of Wrestlemania and all those on DVD at a garage sale last summer. No matter what happened during the day, how stressed out I am, or how frustrated my balls get that they haven't busted inside an attractive female, I can pop in a DVD and I'm out within ten minutes.

Still single, ladies.

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dear Diary,

Today I learned a new phrase.

R-o-M

11. Lowest

Lowest
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Kids and work. This is a sure-fire method. Come home at midnight and don't go to sleep until 2:00 a.m. Have your kids wake you up at 4:45 in the morning. For good measure, have your wife elbow you in the ribs because she's pissed that you haven't been home for the kids bed-time for a whole week. Get up with the kids out of sheer guilt and watch Dora the Explorer at 6:00 a.m. with two zombified toddlers. Work a 14 hour day.

Do this a couple times in a row and you'll fall asleep in under 5 minutes any time your head gets near a pillow.

12. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's also the added benefit of never remembering your dreams. Pesky subconscious dragging up things you'd rather not confront? Marijuana. Just get ready for a week's worth of really intense, vivid bullshit once you stop.

Or so I've heard from people who are in to that sort of thing.

13. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ambien.

Reading can help, or I recommend putting on No Country For Old Men, you should be out by the middle of Tommy Lee Jone's first speech.

14. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Flexeril.

My wife has a prescription and I help myself to one when I can't sleep.

15. klky

klky
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I have a lot of issues falling asleep. Recently though, I've started a kind of ritual that usually puts me out relatively quickly:
    1. Write out a to do list for the next day or anything that you are feeling anxious about. After it's on paper, I feel like I can let it go from my mind until tomorrow.
    2. Eat a small snack. Not much, just 100-200 calories. If you're already full, it's no big deal, but I usually eat dinner around 4-5 hours before I go to sleep, so a small snack ensures that I'm not thinking about being hungry when I'm trying to fall asleep.
    3. Solitaire. This mindless game has been my savior. I play on my laptop and after 15-20 minutes I'm usually yawning. Not sure if it's true, but according to WikiHow, the game was actually designed to send you to sleep (<a class="postlink" href="http://www.wikihow.com/Fall-Asleep" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.wikihow.com/Fall-Asleep</a>, it's #15).