Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Workstations / Desktops / Servers

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Nothingdoing

Nothingdoing
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Given a number of new games coming out I decided it was time to upgrade my old rig.

Previously was running an i5-6600K on a Z170 Gaming Pro and a gtx 1070.

Now I'm using a Ryzen 7 3700X on a X570-F gaming with a rtx 3070.

Im no longer hitting 100% CPU usage on some games and am getting a nice solid frame rate.

Only thin i didn't realise was just how much hotter the Ryzen 3000 series seem to run. (45C while idling)

Attached Files:

2. Nothingdoing

Nothingdoing
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

So I've seen.

I'm not too concerned as under full load and stress testing for close to 2 hours I never went above 72C.

Coming from the i5-6600K which sat at 25C it was interesting the first time I took a look at temps.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's going to be interesting to see what the new Mac ARM chip is like... early discussions I've seen have been throwing around some pretty big claims around performance and efficiencies... and having a chip with embedded memory and GPU, as well as performing cores and power efficiency cores... well that's got my attention...

We'll see how it all works out in the real world.

4. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep, I'm pretty interested. I'm not really a MacOS guy overall but my work laptop is a MBP.

Unfortunately, it appears that there will be no option to boot a Windows VM at the outset, which is critical for my work needs, so I'll have to wait until there's an available VM solution for me. Hopefully whatever emulation layer is stuck in there won't be too destructive to performance - I can take a little hit but I do need to get things done.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, apparently it’s also got issues with Docker too.

I have to think it’ll be resolved, eventually... but who knows how quickly that will be?

6. Nothingdoing

Nothingdoing
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Ok so I am very confused at the moment and hoping that I can get some help.

Following the upgrade I've done I have stress tested everything and all seems stable and temps never go above 75C. (PSU is an EVGA 850W Gold which I was running in my previous build for 4 years without any issues).

I then brought AC Valhalla yesterday, and while playing had the computer randomy reboot 3 times while playing, with no BSOD or error messages popping up.

I've then tried stress testing everything as follows:
    • Prime95 run for 3 hours with no crash
    • Heaven Benchmark run for 2 hours with no crashes
    • Memtest run for all 4 rounds with no crashes or errors
    • OCCT
    • Ran CPU tests with no issues
    • Ran GPU tests with no issues
    • Ran the Power test which crashed after 34 minutes (I did this 3 times with the same result everytime)
    I'm therefore thinking that its likely related to a power issue, so removed the Cablemod extensions which I had and left the standard cables, but am still seeing crashes.

I'm now planning the following

• Replacing the RTX with my old GTX 1070 to see if this might have any effect
    • Reseating the Heat Sink on the CPU
    • Reinstalling Windows

However am wondering if there is anything else I shoudl be looking at before doing this.

Unfortunately I don't have another PSU to try at the moment, and would prefer not having to buy another, or another MB until I can pinpoint the exact component which is causing this?

Its a really annoying problem as until I sort it I can't guarantee any stability while gaming and really want to be playing the new games I've got.

7. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

Have you tried other games that are as stressful that live on the same HDD/SSD?

8. Nothingdoing

Nothingdoing
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have played some less intensive games without the crash, however not sure if Ive played for enough time to get the crash.

I have been reading however that then 3000 series seem to be a lot more power hungry than advised, with others finding their 850W PSUs also can't cope with the drain the card has.

I'm thinking it's therefore going be that I need to buy a 1000W PSU to run it.

Plan today is to put my gtx 1070 back in and see if it crashes.

9. Nothingdoing

Nothingdoing
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Ok a few days later and I'm thinking it's a bad motherboard.

I've so far tried the following

• Replacing the GPU with my old GTX 1070 (still reboots)
    • Changed to a Corsair HX1000 PSU (still reboots)
    • I've also reinstalled the CPU 4 times now.
    Additionally I now have an issue where it'll reboot, post but display no display. I then have to disconnect and reconnect the GPU for it to display anything.

As far as I can tell I think there is a fault with the PCI-e slot. All temps stay below 75C and voltages and power drain seems normal too

I now have a replacement motherboard coming so really hope this solves the issue

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I would be shocked if your PSU at 850W can’t power an RTX 3000 series card. Everything I’ve read says that 750W can run it and an 850W can run it easily.

It does sound like your motherboard might be shitting the bed as you suspect, so see where that takes you.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Friend of mine just picked up a new Ryzen board and cpu, and his 850w that he thought he'd reuse wasn't enough to power it... never mind there was a new "4th power connection" that he'd never seen before that was required to power the board. New, bigger PSU, include the 4th power connection, and it was all good.

Shit's changing, yo.

12. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think that most people are running into power constraints on 850 watts with normal system builds and an RTX 3070. It's more likely that some people are dealing with mediocre power supplies that aren't meeting their spec.

RTX 3070 spec says 250 watts, processor he listed draws 150 watts, it's just not likely that the system components are pulling 450 watts. In this case, EVGA's gold rated processor say they run at 90%+ efficiency.

850+ watts is pretty crazy for a single GPU system. Which processor did your friend grab?

13. Nothingdoing

Nothingdoing
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

After swapping every single component out, it looks like I may have gotten a bad CPU as I ended up having to replace that in the end.

Since then I've had no random reboots and have been able to play and stress test without any issues.

Looking at power consumption throughout this, the 850W should definitely have been able to handle the requirements of the r7 3700x and RTX 3070, the cables and connections all looked ok too, but figured that I'd at least give that a try before moving to the CPU like I ended up having to.

Oh well I now have enough parts to make a second computer for something.

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Is he running a Threadripper or something along those lines? Those can top out at 300W or more of consumption.

I picked up a Seasonic 850W Gold PSU yesterday. Now I need to figure out how to get one of the new GPUs. Having all these alerts go off on my phone when they’re available haven’t helped whatsoever. I went to Microcenter on Friday (when their stock comes in) and they were completely cleaned out.

15. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

I would like to change out my GTX1080 for a newer RTX, but at a lower spec for better power and size. The 1080 is a 305mm reference card, and it's hard to keep cool in the SFF case. I reckon the latest gen of cards can beat it while consuming less power and staying cooler.

16. Nothingdoing

Nothingdoing
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

On the cooling aspect I'd agree. The RTX 3070 when running at 100% load is currently hitting a max of 70C, in comparison the GTX 1070 I had was hitting around 85C under the same load.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

What CPU do you have paired with the 3070? I was able to snag a 3080 last week and it’s getting bottlenecked into the ground by my CPU. I’m running an i7 4790S, which is 5 years old. On COD Warzone the GPU is running at 10% while the processor is at 85-90% and I’m only getting 75 FPS at 1440p.

18. Nothingdoing

Nothingdoing
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm currently using a Ryzen 7 3700X and haven't seen anything in the way of bottlenecking with it.

Cyberpunk for example I'm currently running at an average of 70 fps with everything on Ultra, Ray Tracing Off and am seeing around 60% load on the CPU and 98% load on the GPU.

Temps are good too around 68C-70C

19. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

Is that with the box cooler?

Apparently if you were gonna update the CPU, that next gen Ryzen is incredibly good.

I've got a GTX1080 right now, and I feel like it's just temps holding me back right now, but I definitely need to benchmark it better

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

That’s what I’m holding out for. The 5600x crushes every Intel chip in the same class. I may just pull the trigger on the 5800x which is available now, but I need to wait a bit before dropping another $1000 when I just got the 3080.