Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] 11/8 NATIONAL HARVEY WALLBANGER DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Nov 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I kinda like how it's spaced out. The way it looks is, they'll have a new episode this Friday and then every Friday after until the end of December. Hopefully they can keep new seasons coming pretty regularly, and not wait as long as "Lost in Space" on Netflix.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Every Friday except for Dec 20, when The Rise of Skywalker comes out. That week they moved it up to Dec 18, which is cool.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Nobody fucks with a Disney premiere. Not even themselves.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Man they do NOT make furniture like they used to. Or light bulbs apparently.

When my late grandfather retired from the Air Force a bunch of his co-workers got together and bought him a big oak desk for his new office working on the civilian side. He ended up being the highest ranking civi on a large AF base, and was apparently important enough that when the Cuban Missile Crisis broke out he was sent to live in an underground bunker with the rest of the local command (he sent his family to live in the country in case shit did go down). The military moved the desk with underground him, because I guess costco folding tables weren't a thing back then?

When he finally retired for good, they kept the desk at his home where some of my earliest memories were playing at it with his model airplanes and reading encyclopedias -- that used to be our version of google, if you don't know what those are -- he kept nearby. When dementia required that he get around-the-clock care, they moved that bigass desk into his room at the nursing home. And yesterday I got a call as my mother and uncle were cleaning out his old room, asking if I wanted to move the desk to my home office. Fuck. Yes.

Took four grown men to carry that into our house, and even then it was a struggle. I just finished setting it up for my two boys (5 and 2) with all of their art supplies, then somehow the original light still worked too (to our knowledge it had never been plugged in at any of their previous houses, and boy does it look like it too). So now a fourth generation gets to use a desk that was originally bought sometime during the Korean War and is at least twice as old as me.

Those bunkers must have been pretty spacious if they were able to move it down there. Hell, I had to take a few doors off their hinges just to get it into my office.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Today was a good day.

This just showed up in the mail:

A team in my company makes the bluetooth low energy (BTLE) control systems / mobile app for the new Lego Technic systems.... needless to say, we get a few of these thrown our way for various people.

Apparently today was my lucky day.

It's fucking BAD ASS.

I may get it done soon enough to help shovel snow out of the driveway... we'll see.

#65 Nettdata, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And to make it even fucking cooler... they used the app to run a REAL ONE.

Watch this:

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I am spoiled by all the shows that have whole seasons available. Spacing it out adds to the anticipation and excitement.

I like the pace of the show. I mean I've only seen 1 episode but hopefully it keeps up. I wasn't a Star Wars fangirl as a kid but enjoyed them as an adult. I did not care for the newer ones released by Disney. Part of it was that the story in the newer releases was rushed and they didn't flesh out the universe... the fun part of the stories. The characters were flat as a result. This episodic show has more of the feel of the original movies and there's more screen time for story development. They use a lot of the same sound effects and the droids are kinda shitty and funny. There's a bit of humor here or there. Pedro Pascal plays the bounty hunter and does a nice job.

I'm sick of the million subscription services that are now available but with this show, all the Simpsons, plus the huge library of other content that I'm still looking over, it's worth the $6/mo for now. If I had young kids it would be a no brainer. I watched some of the cartoon movie Robin Hood (never actually saw it as a kid) the other night. Pretty damned cute. There's some seriously trash programming targeting towards kids these days.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Phineas & Ferb is the most hilarious show Disney ever made. It’s a kids show that’s funnier than most adult comedy shows, it’s one of very few I liked watching when my daughter had it on.

“Fancy Nancy” on the other hand, I could kick a 55 yard field goal with her face.

9. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Our teenage sons were excited about "Phineas and Ferb" almost as much as they were "The Mandalorian". And we watched an episode of "Duck Tales" last night. The old one, not the new shitty drawn one.

I hope they keep adding classic 2D cartoon movies and more stuff from the vault. So far we're loving it.

10. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gravity Falls (even though it was only two seasons) was the pinnacle of a "kids" show that was clearly meant for adults. There was nothing that could have been done to make that show better than it was.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Love Gravity Falls. That voice cast!
    Jason Ritter, Alex Hirsch, Kristen Schaal, Linda Cardellini, Jennifer Coolidge, Will Forte, TJ Miller . . .

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I didn’t realize it was a Disney show, it could pass for Adult Swim with how much of a firecracker it is. The creator is a friend of Justin Roiland and they sister the show with Rick and Morty.

I’ll definitely get Disney Plus now. I remember the first time I saw this show my daughter was watching this scene, I lost it:

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Question: is there some sort of pre-req I missed out on where every public school’s music teacher had to be some sort of giant asshole? Every music teacher I had in school was a miserable, giant asshole. Every music teacher my daughter has is a giant asshole. I wanted to slice this pretentious fuckhole in half with a sheet music stand.

I tell you, eight out of ten artists who don’t wind up in their dream job just fucking hate everything. You chose an art career. Be glad you have a job, much less tenure and a government pension.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I can only think that years of listening to annoying high school kids absolutely suck at playing has to wear on you a bit. I know I'd be a tad crusty if I had to do it.

15. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I ended up quitting band in the 6th grade due to my band teacher being a temper tantrum throwing asshole. Sucks too, I was a good trumpet player.

Though my guitar teacher was cool as fuck. He let 14 year old me smoke cigarettes during lessons, turned me on to metal, and was super stoned every time we met.

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

My 5th and 6th grade Band teacher was the worst teacher I ever had. She was such a bitter, mean person for absolutely no discernible reason. She had her stable of teacher's pets that she doted on because they kissed her ass and played well enough, but for the rest of the class who didnt give a shit about playing the clarinet or whatever, she was awful. She would call your parents and tell them that if you dont want to take playing an instrument seriously, then you shouldnt be in band. The response from parents was always a variation of, "Well its part of the required curriculum, so what do you want us to fucking do? The kids dont want to be there any more than you want them there." And this went around and around forever.

I kept playing for the first year of middle school out of momentum for some reason, but the teacher was more passive-aggressive than a complete, angry asshole. He and I had a mutual agreement that I should part ways with playing the alto sax.

17. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven’t had time to explore Disney + but once I get a chance I’m pretty excited about it.

I can’t wait to close on this goddamn house and move out of my MILs den.

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

General music teacher in gradeschool was terrible. Mentally checked out, had favorites, was kind of a bitch. The band teacher was rad, though that was an elective and he didn't have all the kids. When I subbed here the music teacher was a real bitch too. You might be onto something.

19. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have you heard the theory that Phineas and Ferb are actually dead, that Candace is actually hallucinating them?

Another great "kids'" show is "Regular Show."
    If you haven't seen it, you should.

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Middle school band who was also the high school jazz band teacher was alright but a goofy boner. Our high school band teacher was a complete jerkoff and his kid was a total wiener. He ended up embezzling music booster money and getting fired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.