Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Music Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by awwwSNAP, Oct 20, 2009.

1. awwwSNAP

awwwSNAP
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I found all sorts of cool new bands through the old music threads. I guess this place is small enough right now that we probably only need one instead of the 3 or 4 from the RMMB, so have at it! What are you listening to now? What should everybody else be listening to that they aren't?

For my part, I will submit P.O.S., a hip-hop/rap/punk/I don't even know artist out of Minneapolis. Even if you aren't a fan of the genre, give Low Light Low Life and Goodbye a listen... Fantastic songs from a fantastic musician.

2. Tey

Tey
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Frittenbude "Mindestens in 1000 Jahren". I have no idea what they are talking about since I don't speak German but the beats been stuck in my head for a good week.

MGMT "Kids". Not new but not widely known either

I'm really big on all variations of club music, so if you're into trance/progressive/vocal/house or any of the sort shoot me a PM and I'll link you to my blog. I post up a lot of the new tracks before they're officially released so you'll be ahead of the game.

3. Sean Daley

Sean Daley
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Along with the mention of P.O.S from the OP, Brother Ali is a hip hop heavyweight from Minnesota that just came out with a new album entitled US. I just copped it today so I can't say much about it, but if it is anything like his old stuff it won't disappoint.

He's doing something brilliant with his website that he just started too, where he interacts with fans, responds to questions, makes little videos, etc. He's like the Ocho Cinco of hip hop without all the trash talk. His website is http://www.brotherali.com

He is a very smart lyricist and someone to start with if you are looking to get into some of the better hip hop that's come out in the last 10 years.

4. Tey

Tey
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The site reference reminded me of Sage Francis. I found his site a while ago and it got my attention because at the time he was holding a competition where he'd release an acapella of one of his songs and the group that comes up with the best instrumental for it got a prize or publicity or something. That aside hes got a very unique feel to his flow in that he's more of a poetic rapper than the typical hip-hop artist. Give Escape Artist a listen if you're interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ7w-z4BvMo

5. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I don't generally like this kind of music but I love when someone takes a song and flips it on its ear completely. Transcending the genre is key to a good cover in my mind.

Vedera - Beyonce's "Halo"

Jimi Hendrix - Like a Rolling Stone [Bob Dylan]

The Noisettes - When You Were Young [The Killers]

Dolores O'Riordan [of The Cranberries] - Go Your Own Way [Fleetwood Mac]

#5 Mexicutioner, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  6. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a lot of trouble saying this with conviction or confidence, but I like screamo.

Now before you hit every common association with that (be it associations with whiny shit like My Chemical Romance, metalcore like Avenged Sevenfold or post-hardcore/scene crap like Chiodos) that's not what I'm talking about, though 'real' screamo tends to have had a lot of its ideas borrowed by them.

I doubt it'll go over well, but it's not a bunch of kids with makeup, dyed hair and cut wrists

Here's my three favourite bands of the genre

Raein - Tigersuit (fanmade video)

Saetia - Notres Langues Nous Trompent

Envy are a special case, they combine the genre with post-rock (Think Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, God Is an Astronaut - their vocalist even appears on a Mogwai track)

Envy - Go Mad and Mark

#6 rei, Oct 20, 2009
  7. 15 Step

15 Step
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I lurked on the old board for years and never posted. The fresh start has encouraged me to give posting a try.

Although you may accuse me of hipsterdom, I'll go ahead and share this anyway. I like various forms of indie rock, especially ones that involve electronic elements. Here's a recent favorite of mine:

I'm hoping at least someone out there will be happier to know they exist.

#7 15 Step, Oct 20, 2009
  8. Backroom

Backroom
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am a HUGE fan of Every Time I Die, and those who love screamo (I'm not sure how else to describe it) would do themselves a favor by picking up their new album, "New Junk Aesthetic."

#8 Backroom, Oct 20, 2009
  9. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To pretentious musicsnobs in college radio like me, ETDI are good Metalcore.

#9 rei, Oct 20, 2009
  10. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Speaking of pretentious college radio; I'll be on the radio on http://cfreradio.com at 7pm est tonight (and every wednesday)

... if youd rather not have me promote my station mods, I wont. Just figured it might be condusive to this thread and i wont be spamming it.

11. cblast

cblast
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Not sure if anyone is into jam bands, but even if you aren't, pretty much anyone will appreciate Umphrey's Mcgee. They are one of the best groups of musicians around right now, and they play basically every type of music. One of my favorite songs that they do is Partyin' Peeps, which goes from a reggae-like beginning, and ends in a soaring, shredding guitar solo.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=umvideo#p/search/0/vESuve__T7w[/youtube]
    I recommend checking out other video's on their youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=umvideo#g/u
    I saw them this summer at 10,000 Lakes, and became a huge fan. I'm seeing them in Eugene friday, and than again in Portland on Saturday, just to see how their set lists differ.

12. cblast

cblast
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I tried to edit my post to elaborate, but I took to long, so here's what I was trying edit

Edit: It was pointed out that I should elaborate, so I'll give it a shot. They are a 5-piece with two guitarists, A keyboardist, a drummer and a percussionist, with an occasional horn section. Jake, their lead guitarist, technically amazing, and very fast. He and Brendan, the other guitarist/vocalist, are the smoothest guitar players around. Everything they do is seamless, and as a band they are tighter together than anyone I've heard. They cover everyone from Steely Dan to Metallica, and one New Year's eve show covered "Dick in a Box."

Also, they have a completely open taping policy, and have high quality recording of every show they play available on their website.

They just recently did their first s^2 event, an intimate and interactive jam, where a small crowd of around 50 people influences what the band is playing by holding up cue cards and making other visual and verbal cues.

13. p00g0blin

p00g0blin
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Kidding... But seriously. Can't mess with the Thunderhorse

Winds of Plague

Thick as Blood

#13 p00g0blin, Oct 22, 2009
  14. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#14 PewPewPow, Oct 22, 2009
  15. slammy

slammy
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

For those of you into punk, one of the funniest awesomest bands around is Brutal Knights. They have songs about being fat, being extreme, and about their guitarist Katie wanting cock.

Really fun pop punk, Clorox Girls

Awesome Japanese metal: Dir En Grey

16. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My favourite band for the longest time. Just be careful with their female fanbase. They are very firmly detached from reality
    [Warning goes for everyone who checks them out]

17. Costello

Costello
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Dizzee Rascal is blowing up here in the UK, and last night he played his first 'proper gig' at the BBC Electric Proms, with full band, brass, strings and choir.

The whole set is worth checking out if you can, but here are two highlights: Bonkers and a cover of Bulls On Parade.

#17 Costello, Oct 22, 2009
  18. BeCoolBitch_BeCool

BeCoolBitch_BeCool
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The Adult Swim tour is attracting the weirdest hodgepodge of fans:

High on Fire: A lot like Motorhead. Fans consist mostly of bikers and skinheads (seriously, half of the upstairs level of the venue was filled with skinheads. Ridiculous).

Converge: Some shitty hardcore group. Fanbase consists of skinny white kids with shaved heads who love to mosh.

Mastodon: Prog-metal who's fans range from metal-heads to obnoxious Pitchfork reading hipsters.

Dethklok: fans range from satan worshipers to nerdy 15-year-old girls.

Needless to say, the concert was great. Mastodon is one of my favorite bands, but Dethklok put on a better show. Brandon Small (who plays both lead guitar and does the vocals) was spot on for every song. They also managed to make the music sync up perfectly with the videos playing behind them.

19. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

nettdata edit:

Nobody will post shit about other people's shitty taste in shitty music.

20. taste_my_rainbow

taste_my_rainbow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

JJ Grey & Mofro
    raw funk to deep soul, blues and rock (per their website)

Cool Kid Collective
    A friend's band. It's "different" music for me but I've gotten to where I really enjoy most of their songs. They're signed now so they must be doing something write. Their Myspace has a few songs on it.

#20 taste_my_rainbow, Oct 23, 2009