Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The house that Huxtable built. Burning to the fucking ground

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kubla Kahn, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Re: The house that Huxtable built. Burning to the fucking gr

Nothing undoes a career in Western society like a sex scandal. This is a sexual assault scandal, and considering the volume of accusers Cosby is no doubt guilty of something, and last time I checked he can't throw a football o this is his ruination.

But of course, no matter WHAT a celebrity is accused of, they will have many people that straight-up refuse to accept anything bad being spoke about them. A letter to the editor in today's paper:

JESUS fucking CHRIST. I can't believe we live in an age where RAPE VICTIMS are the asshole. Unreal.

2. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Two of our local news have posted updates on their FB page regarding the Cosby allegations and in both cases the comments were overwhelmingly suspicious and critical of the accusers. Lots of variations on:
    1) just looking for money.
    2) why didn't they go to the cops when it happened?
    3) why would they continue to spend time with him (in the case of the one lady that it happened to over and over)
    and my personal favorite:
    4) he was so famous he could have any woman he wants, why would he need to drug them.

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You should just stay off 4chan then. What you just posted looks downright feminist compared to what the creatures on there say.

4. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well duh, the women could have just bitten his dick off. SMH, these fame hungry strumpets.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Woody Allen's shit blew over, for now, because it was the same single person who made the same accusations before. Hell the creepy sex stuff with Allen has followed him for decades. We collectively have the attention span of gnats but this case seems different in the fact that there are more than a dozen accusers with at least half going full public on the issue.

Even though his crucifixion is well earned for his actions and my following screed is not about Cosby or his accusers. I still cringe at the modern medias handling of these situations. It's fucking on, any salacious tidbits will be broadcast and tweeted no matter the veracity. No one in the media will be held accountable if their content turns out to be false or incorrectly asserted.

Dr. Drew has been talking about this sort of new media character assassinations for page clicks since he had a incident a year or so ago where the blogshpere went after him for being connected to a drug manufacturer. They claimed he was on the payroll of some big pharma company and implied conflicts of interest that didn't exist and basically tried to undermine all of the causes he works for because of this supposed shilling. There was enough news that different medical boards he's on started investigating it. He had to hire attorneys and defend himself on what turned out to be baseless accusations. He singled out Jezebel as being one of the worst offenders in his case. When he went back to them with evidence that nothing they were implying was true and asked for a retraction or apology, they basically told him to go fuck himself.

It's one of those things where media is being driven so much by advertising dollars that this new form of straight character assassinations journalism is what sells. I don't feel sorry for them and won't decry any chilling effect on this type of journalism when an Uber exec say they should dig up dirt on reporters. They have changed the game, they aren't the Edward Murrows or Woodward and Burnstein's anymore.

Also, rape is bad.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It's insane the amount of lame excuses these cunty apologists come up with. Why would you LET him rape you? From slut-shamings to dealing with the psychological torture of re-living it, is there any doubt as to why so many victims DON'T come forward?

7. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I think of Michael Jackson, I marvel at the miracle of a black man transmogrifying into a white woman.

The the idea that Cosby, being famous, could sleep with numerous willing women if he wanted to doesn't exonerate him, it makes what he did that much more disgusting. His twisted preference was to have sex with women who were unable to say no to him, and were unresponsive.

Somone should check the police records to see if there is a spike in morgue break-ins when he is town.

8. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

I'm with Rush.

9. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

HULK SMASH PUNY COSBY!!!

10. Soonergal

Soonergal
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I have no horse in this race, just passing along what I heard.

Regarding Cosby though, I wonder how much of the hate going his was is based upon the allegations, vs. what is based upon "I've always not liked you and now that you're weak I'm gonna pounce."

12. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've heard stories of Cosby being an pretensious dick to other comics. He was well known for talking down to guys like Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy for swearing in their comedy, because Cosby didn't swear, but I always chalked it up to a difference of opinion and style. I always liked Cosby's comedy (I own a few of his comedy albums), and I grew up on and loved The Cosby Show.

Once the allegations started, I just thought "well fuck; let's see where this goes." Now that they are so overwhelming, I actually feel shitty admitting I own his albums.

Just think how his daughters feel. Dude has 4 daughters that are learning that dad was a serial rapist. How fucked up must that be? I'm sure they're likely thinking it's bullshit, but man would that be tough.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I'm of the belief that, in the Internet age, all heroes will fall at some point.

Everyone is out to get everyone, and every time another Goliath falls it generates mindless articles and page views for weeks. Because media is so Internet-centric now, it is driven by the advertising dollar. And the clicks are driven by a famous person's misstep.

I'm just waiting until Lebron falls. Or Durant (the NBA version of Cosby with the image he's tried to build). Or Peyton Manning.

One golden child down; many more to go.

14. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

I would hardly call a series of 10+ rape allegations over 30+ years a "misstep".

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Hot off the wire:

Sigh.

Attached Files:

16. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#36 Gravy, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  17. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hold up, what now? Durant might not be Allen Iverson, but he's not fucking AC Green.

18. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But you can't take away our non-threatening black guy! I could always prove to all of my friends I'm open-minded because I really loved watching The Cosby Show, and I really liked the Jello pudding commecials. Heck, I even bought Jello pudding once! And who else is going to tell the thugs to pull their pants up?

19. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

You know, I hear so much about how a rape allegation can ruin a famous man, but there are so many examples to the contrary.

All of the headlines I see about Kobe are about his missed shots. Mike Tyson just got a new sitcom. R.Kelly's career has rolled right along. Has it even made a dent in Tupac's legacy? Roethlisburger certainly has people who hate him, but his career is rolling along just fine. I'm not sure if Sean Penn ever veered into sexual abuse, but he certainly beat his wife, and his career is far from ruined.

In fact, I'd wager that the person who reports the rape has far more to lose in the public eye than the person accused, which is awful.

20. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

R. Kelly was supposed to headline a festival in Columbus Ohio earlier this year, and they had to cancel his performance because of the public backlash. Bands threatened to not do the show if he was there, and the public threatened to boycott the festival all together. This may not be true everywhere, but I saw it happen here.