Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Forest Ranger, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

looks like some good coverage there mex

2. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Thanks Ranger,

I'm excited about heading to Reno this weekend. My brother covers boxing as well so its always a family thing but we are a family that gets drunk and high together. But because of the weather we are taking Greyhound so no weed this time. It's going to be on ESPN and we are in good with these promoters so we will likely be on the ring apron.

Should be a really competitive fight.

3. JR17

JR17
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Looks like that bitch Pretty Boy Floyd is going to be fighting Shane Mosley. I am fucking praying that floyd gets knocked the fuck out and loses that perfect record in one punch.

4. JR17

JR17
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Pacquiao picked Clottey apart tonight. The fight was never really in doubt, manny was just to fast for clottey. Now we have to wait and hope that there is some way that mayweather and pacquiao came come to some sort of agreement in the future so we all can get the fight we wanted to see in the first place.

5. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Respect to Clottey because I think he's a good fighter but the fight was as exciting as watching Pacquiao hit a heavy bag on skates around the ring for 12 rounds. I hate it but Clottey was there for a payday and to prove that he could last 12 rounds if he turtled the entire time. Pac-Mayweather has to happen. Has to.

6. graffin226

graffin226
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm really struggling watching these flyweights. Yordan is finally getting some flush hits on Caballero- but without any meat on there bones, there's no power, no damage from the actual punches.

7. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.fightnews.com/?p=43265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fightnews.com/?p=43265</a>

Edwin Valero, 135-pound champion murdered his wife. This guy is a fucking headcase. Just two weeks ago he got in trouble for beating his wife up so bad that her ribs punctured her lung or something crazy. Then he got into a hit-and-run. He also was rumoured to beat his mom and sister up.

Unfortunately, we will now hear from people that Valero was the next coming of Pacquiao and wasted his prime. Much the same as heavyweight Ike Ibeabuchi when he went to jail for raping a woman.

8. Natty

Natty
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Not a big boxing guy, but have the fight on tonight. Mayweather by decision in 12, I say. Original right? Id Lo(e to see a knock out on either side.

9. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

and so it is. But damn, did Mosley just look asleep after Round 2 or what?? Landing what, less than 10 punches per round. If that?

10. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am no expert in this sport but I really want to discuss Floyd Mayweather. The guy is 41-0, quite an accomplished fighter but he does not get much praise. Many, many experts feel he has not faced enough or any real competition.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/arch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/arch</a> ... xer/39816/

It's hard to think of a guy beating 41 straight chumps but again I'm no expert. The whole world wants to see him fight Manny Pacquiao, and I just heard Skip Bayless on ESPN's first take insist that Pacquiao will win this fight. (side note I hate Skip Bayless)

Anyway, why will Pacquiao not agree to Olympic style drug testing? Why will he not give blood and urine? Or is this Mayweather trying to avoid fighting Manny?

The fight was incredibly boring, not even a cut. We really need the heavyweights back..........

****** I will be posting photo's of Tyson from Vegas in this thread, I have seen him all four times I have been there*********

11. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Floyd is the best pure boxer you may ever see in your lifetime. I think he stops Pacquiao if they fight.

Read my recap of this weekend:
    Pac Should Manny Up and Fight Floyd
    <a class="postlink" href="http://fightfannation.com/forum/content.php?172-Pacquiao05022010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://fightfannation.com/forum/content ... ao05022010</a>

12. JR17

JR17
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Floyd is a bitch. Here we go with ducking Pacman again.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=581810&publicationSubCategoryId=69" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?ar ... egoryId=69</a>

MANILA, Philippines - Floyd Mayweather Jr. has finally broken his silence. He wants out of boxing. He wants out of the fight with Manny Pacquiao.

In a breaking news which came out of The Examiner last night, the undefeated American said he’s taking a year off from boxing, in the process ruling out any clash with the reigning pound-for-pound champion from the Philippines.

Pacquiao had just received his third Fighter of the Year award and the Fighter of the Decade award from the Boxing Writers Association of America in New York when Mayweather spoke during a charity affair, and said he wants out of boxing.

“Floyd Mayweather is taking a year off or a couple of years off from boxing. I don’t really know what the future holds for him,” said Mayweather in a video clip posted by The Examiner, as he sat beside Armando, a fan battling the Hodgins disease.

Mayweather was asked to comment on Armando’s wish to see him fight Pacquiao, probably in November as being planned by their promoters, when the former pound-for-pound champion dropped the bomb. He looked serious even if he was smiling.

“As I said, I want to take a year off from boxing,” said the 33-year-old Mayweather.

And it could mean that the fight the whole world wants to see may not happen at all because “a year or a couple of years off” would mean that Mayweather would be 35 if and when he ever returns to the sport he once dominated.

Pacquiao just turned 31 last December, and enjoys more options than Mayweather. He can fight anyone else out there and earn as much as $15 million, wait for Mayweather and still be good enough a couple of years older, or retire.

Mayweather was once retired, staying out of the ring for close to two years before returning to fight an outsized Juan Manuel Marquez last year and an aging Shane Mosley last May to stretch his unbeaten record to 43.

Pacquiao was recently elected congressman in his home province of Sarangani, and that should keep him busy if he does retire. Among those being lined up as possible opponents on the ring are Antonio Margarito or Miguel Cotto.

The Pacquiao-Mayweather fight, which could earn them $40 million each, almost took place last March until Mayweather sought a blood testing procedure, as random as the days or hours to the fight, that was just unacceptable for the Pinoy icon.

Pacquiao recently agreed to take the tests 14 days before the fight – which was Mayweather’s original demand – but the American said his new demand was to have the tests taken all the way to the fight.

A few days ago, reports also came out that Mayweather, who had agreed to a 50-50 purse split during the previous negotiations, now wants 60 percent of everything, again a demand that’s unacceptable for Pacquiao.

And here he comes saying he wants out of the sport for a year or a couple of years. He just wants out of the Pacquiao fight, many experts believe, and now he’s made it known.

#52 JR17, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  13. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Andre Ward against Allan Green next Saturday...

Will be there covering the fight live.

14. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Chad Dawson losing to Jean Pascal a few weekends ago was a pretty interesting scrap...

15. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

At this point is Mayweather just ducking a Pacquiao fight? Personally, I smell pussy...

16. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well he can't very well fight him from a jail cell, can he?

But at least before he decided his next opponent was his girlfriend and their kids, it's pretty tough to see it any way other than that he was ducking Pacquiao.

17. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

At first I was sympathetic to the steroid argument and was on board for Olympic style testing. Pacquiao's reason of being afraid of needles is a bullshit argument to make for a guy who makes his living as a fighter. But when Mayweather's manager didn't make the same case for the rest of his fighters it became pretty obvious that his manager was just trying to protect him. Mr. Perfect Record is scared to tar his legacy. After all, Pacquiao has made a career out of taking out guys bigger than him.

18. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hellooooo anybody in here?

I just watched part 1 & 2 of Shotime 360 Pacquiao-Mosley

The only thing I could think the entire time was... what a waste of a fight.

Besides blind luck I can't see a single way Mosley beats Pac-Man. Mosley fans point to his "stunning" of Mayweather in their fight but I have to ask... what about the rest of the fight?

Has Mosley somehow magically gotten better in the last year? Unlikely.

Still I love watching Manny Pacquiao fight and it's something special almost every time so I'll be buying this fight.

19. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

In Vegas this weekend covering a number of fights.

Friday, Michael Katsidis returns on ESPN at the Hard Rock to fight unbeaten but untested Albert Mensah. The undercard sucks balls except for the co-feature, which should be competitive between Artemio Reyes Jr. and Alan Sanchez.

Saturday, Brandon Rios fights Richard Abril. Rios was slated to fight Yuriorkis Gamboa in a mega-fight for hardcore fight fans but Gamboa pulled out. Abril is coming as a big underdog but stands a better chance than he is being given credit for. Rios will have a difficult time making 135 and Abril has never been dominated and can move a bit. The fight of the night however will likely be the Mike Alvarado-Mauricio Herrera bout on the undercard. Alvarado, you may recall, made a name on the Pacquiao-Marquez card in November as he overcame a deficit against Breidis Prescott to stop him in the final round, his mask full of blood. Herrera got a gift decision over Mike Dallas Jr on ESPN his last time out but shouldn't be overlooked.

20. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

RIP Johnny Tapia, one of the fighters I remember fondest from my childhood.

His fight with Danny Romero, though it didn't live up to the promised excitement, was a great fight both for the little guys and for the state of New Mexico.

My great uncle was a former pro whose style was reminiscent of Romero and at the time I rooted for him. Tapia was a character I enjoyed as well and as his career went on and I became aware of his life, he became a favorite.

His two fights with Paulie Ayala were legendary and he should be given a lot of credit for putting the smaller weights in the spotlight early on. Without Tapia, maybe we don't ever see a Nonito Donaire on this stage today.

Tapia had a crazy life that I couldn't explain as well as some others. Read this piece for a thorough explanation. Cliffnotes: His dad was murdered before he was born, his mother murdered right in front of him when he was young. He survived a few ODs and other assorted craziness.

<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing--death-finally-catches-up-to-the-elusive-former-world-champ-johnny-tapia-20120528.html;_ylt=AkgZKCpjs2kIWw6iXQufjEOUxLYF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing--de ... ufjEOUxLYF</a>

Rest in paradise champ.