Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Backroom, Oct 19, 2009.

1. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not a huge of the new(ish) rear engine Corvette. It has some odd angles, mainly from the rear. But this one, this one is just wow. I think the black fascias matching the body color, better wing and center exhaust really cleaned up the ass end on it. However, it has 7 days left in the auction AND is already out of my range AND will have a voided warranty so it's no go regardless.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2023-chevrolet-corvette-z06-5/

Attached Files:

2. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've never really been a fan of the Corvettes, but they were dead to me after they got rid of the hideaway headlights.

3. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A client gave me a ride in her new C8 Corvette last week. If I had the money and a place to park it, I would own one.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's a hell of a car for the money.

5. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Insane amount of car of the money.

6. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had a C3 for a stretch, and it was great fun. I've driven a C4 and a C6 before, and consider the C2 and C5 some of the best looking cars of all time.

Ima have to have me one of them C8's if I ever give up motorcycles.

I'm supposed to take a trip to Vegas in June, and I'm renting a C8 to burn some rental car points. I'm certainly excited, that thing looks fun as hell.

7. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Corvette guys got tired of popping the hood to tap the headlight motors when one or both stopped working well. You firebird guys just don't care.

8. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    That's why there is now brass gears for the headlights instead of the plastic ones GM installed.

Started the Camaro today and the security light stayed on, but it continued to start and run through the day. Got home and started it with my spare key....same thing. I'm pretty sure it's the ignition cylinder, the interior lights have been turning on at odd times lately. Sometimes they come on when I turn off the ignition, other times they wait until I remove the keys. It's been going on so long I don't remember exactly when they're supposed to come on. So, new ACDelco cylinder is on the way and then I'll have to get a couple of those ridiculously expensive resistor keys cut. Yay.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My Cayenne has had some seriously noisy brakes... like my race car brakes weren't his loud. Took it into the shop, and it turns out that the ceramic brake package I have has a known issue for exactly that (brake noise) that they're going to fix under warranty. Parts are coming in from Germany, but it'll be in and fixed mid next week.

10. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You do know that you can just use a resistor to bypass the GM antitheft system, right?
    That way, you can just use a regular key.

Man, those early iterations of "anti-theft" were laughably bad...

11. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ceramic rotors or pads?

12. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I know, or I could wire in an VATS defeat relay, but it's not going to break me to keep it all stock. The miles are probably to high to really concern myself with that now, but I may as well stay the course.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It’s the carbon ceramic system. Both pads and rotors are “special”.

They work fantastically, and there’s zero brake dust, and they should last almost a lifetime off of a race track, they just had a design flaw initially that caused a bunch of noise.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

15. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Curious what the design flaw was.

And yes, CCB brakes are insane. Mash the pedal and it feels like your face is going to tear off.

Attached Files:

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, me too... I'm trying to get a sense for what the fix is but haven't found any details yet.

Regardless, they shipped the parts from Germany, and are doing the fix under warranty, so the fact that they've recognized the issue and are paying for it is a bit of a novelty.

17. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm on my way to look at a possible midlife-crisis-mobile. A 20 year old BMW z4. Any of you have experience and tips for owning an old BMW or convertible. The top looks good, what sort of maintenance do the tops require?

18. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My tip, as an ASE Master Tech, is don't do it.

European cars, but BMWs especially, are nothing but money pits.

"Whenever a German car rolls into the shop, I feel as though I've just been handed a briefcase with a red LED display counting down."

Just buy a damn Corvette if you're having a mid-life crisis.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I enjoyed my old BMW, but a big part of that was that I had 2 of them, one used as a dedicated parts car, and was able to do a lot of my own work on it. As things wore out or broke on the driver, I could strip the part from the other one without issue.

When it did come time to have to buy new parts, like brake disks, it was $300 instead of $80 like you'd pay for something domestic.

The BMW tax is real.

That being said, they drive fantastically, and I find the interiors age gracefully rather than wear out. My 20+ year old BMW's leather interior was nicer than most other 3 year old cars of my friends.

20. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not falling in love with any corvettes I look at, not any that I can afford anyway. I've had American muscle, just not quite what I'm looking for this time. This isn't a Corvette itch. It's German roadster, Porsche kinda itch.

You know I respect your opinion. I know they're a time bomb, I just don't know if I'll be able to restrain from taking ownership of one.

This one was fucking gorgeous. They're like a good pair of boots that look better when they're broken in.