Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recent Movie Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by atcmh, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Idaho is the one of the most badass and powerful warriors in Dune, and probably the most popular character amongst its fans. I think he’s the only character who appears in every book, but in different forms of human.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I don’t know if he’s in the movie at all. Dave Bautista is playing a more dominant role instead as Glossu (The Beast).

#1262 Crown Royal, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  3. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know, you're right. Idaho specifically was sent to treat with the Fremen because he could hold his own like that. Halleck didn't have the finesse.

4. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Idaho was a diplomat and a warrior that rivaled how the Fremen fought. It's why he was sent to the sietches, because Leto knew he would blend in. Halleck outranked him and was essentially the aide de camp, second in command to Leto Atreides. Halleck was very capable of diplomacy but was used more for battle planning.

I hope they breath the drama that Herbert sometimes lacked in his prose into the movies. When Idaho dies in Book 1 (spoiler), it should be absolutely heartbreaking. In the book, it's sort of brushed off that now he too was dead. This whole series has SO MUCH potential and virtually everyone who's tried to make it has fucked it up.

5. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Even Jodorowsky?

6. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Look man, that first Dune movie had its problems but in terms of casting, I am incapable of seeing Gurney as anyone other than Patrick Stewart. And the Lady Jessica, she made a man out of me.

7. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

it’s gonna be Sting. Again.

I assume he’ll be in the sequel (Feyd Rautha, not Sting). I was under the impression this movie is the first half of the novel - which is why Villanueve et al are delaying it until theatres are absolutely open. They need the box office to convince the studio to pay for another one.

8. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

See, you and I differ there. Patrick Stewart is so refined. Halleck is a battle-hardened veteran. I feel like he's better represented by an Ian McShane character, or one of those old character actors in Hollywood who always delivered some key plot point and were then executed.

"I wanted to make a movie that gave the viewer the feel of LSD, without actually taking it..." That seems to be, uh, mixing genres.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Not only did the first movie have problems with casting, it had problems with acting, scripting, storytelling, cinematography, directing, it’s campy approach was excruciating, etc.

It was a fucking terrible, HORRIBLE movie. David Lynch’s worst movie by ten light years, and one of the most laughed-at bombs ever made. Rightfully deserved, it is nothing less than a fucking disgrace. The costumes and the sandworm were it’s only redeeming qualities, and even those are incredibly dated now.

10. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

This. 1000%. So much potential, squandered with a dogshit film.

It would actually be a great opportunity for a pseudo-steampunk type of look, because it's super technologically advanced but computers are not allowed.

I have a theory about Dune, but it's geeky so if you don't read Sci-Fi then just skip this next part: I think the world of The Expanse is the earlier version of the Dune world. Dune takes place 10,000 years into the future, after the Butlerian Jihad that forbade man to produce a machine that could think. The Expanse is in the near-er future where space travel has been pretty much sorted out, and then the issue of evolution in a non-gravity environment comes into play. You have a class of people in The Expanse that cannot land on a planet, but are exceptionally skilled at living in space and space navigation. It stands to reason that their descendants become the Guild. So the Belters evolve into Guild navigators, and the space alliance becomes CHOAM, and the ruler of everything is some old family from a gravity well who inherited his title.

I mean, if you really want a deep dive then you could argue that Battlestar Galactica was the Butlerian Jihad.

Have I lost everyone yet.

11. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Interesting, except - there’s no way a publisher would let a series that is connected to Dune NOT be marketed with that front and center.
    But maybe the authors had the thought.

I love the Expanse. Haven’t seen more than the first season, because I don’t have Prime. But I’m through seven books and it’s damn engaging.

12. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not at all. I'm more of "The Expanse as Mass Effect prequel" myself.

13. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

While we're on this Dune tip let me say the audiobook is excellent, I'm about to relisten to it based off this conversation.

14. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

If we're talking audiobooks, you MUST listen to the Expanse series on Audible (or wherever). It's awesome, and I actually prefer it to reading the text.

15. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yea, it was good, but forgettable. On the bottom end of the MCU for me.

16. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hey that new The Suicide Squad? It's pretty good. James Gunn seems to have a talent for this, making us actually give a fuck about unknown characters. I'm down for part 2.

17. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yea by far the best DC in a while, but still not as good as marvel. The laughs seems way to forced. I don't see the hype of this other then it is better then the rest of the DC movies.

Free Guy, was amazing. Definitely worth the watch.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was a lot of fun and much better than I expected. I thought the way they were saturating the world with trailers it might suck or just burned all the scenes in the trailers, but it delivered. The cameos and voice cameos were fun, too. It has enough heart to make a good date movie, too.

19. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Our younger son wanted to do something with his brother before he leaves for college tomorrow, so the three of us just got back from seeing this. I figured it nothing else it's a Ryan Reynolds movie so we'd get the usual 4th wall break, witty comments and so on.

However it's not just funny, it's REALLY well written. Definitely far better than I expected and not one of those movies where all the best lines are given away in the trailer. I highly recommend it.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Pig

Between all the gonzo performances and bad management, people often forget Nicolas Cage is a brilliant actor who can star in brilliant movies.

Here he is a simply-stated but exceptionally acted and executed drama, as a lonesome truffle farmer (and former master chef) trying to track down his stolen and beloved truffle pig. The film largely focuses on the character’s sadness out of loss for the animal, which is his only friend and makes us feel his frustrations along with him. The film’s focus on attachment and love of pets is unmistakeable and extremely believable.

There’s no “gonzo” Cage here. He’s reserved and easy to root for, and the film is sad, relatable and has a few surprises along the way. It’s also great to see an original and interesting film that in no way tries to be “special” or artsy.

8.5/10