Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[NSFW] OREGON DAY [ WDT]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Mar 8, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Happy Oregon Day. I love it here. Have you ever visited? Maybe you visited Crater Lake or Mt Hood. Perhaps you went wind surfing on the Columbia. Ever seen a salmon ladder? Or maybe the wineries around the Willamette are more your style. Maybe you found some Oregon Thunder eggs on your last rockhounding adventure. Then.... There's Portland. It's a whole other animal.

Here's a lady at county fair in 2008. Not all the hippies here are....well.... You do the Google search and give me a summary on those results.

upload_2024-3-8_16-2-41.png

Cheers to good health and good booze. I'm off to pound some water for this headache. The water is for good health, the booze is for the vanilla extract that's about to get bottled up.

#1 bewildered, Mar 8, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
  2. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Shes a far cry from the county fair here in Upstate NY, I assure you.

3. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Been to Crater Lake three times, Still haven't seen it.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Been to Crater Lake once, it was amazing.

Raced a ton at the Portland racetrack, PIR. Dragged my race car there probably 15 times, competed in the Rose Cup.

https://portlandraceway.com/

The most amazing thing I learned about Portland area was that there's a kick-ass aviation museum that has the Spruce Goose in it. I was on a wine tour in a bus, hammered near the end of the day, going back to the hotel, and we drove by it on the highway, and I saw the Spruce Goose... and it blew my mind. It was the LAST thing I expected to see on that ride.

But y'all have a shit ton of bridges.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Ha! Turns out I still have a class lap record for the Rose Cup! Crazy!

7. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oregon is a spectacular state to motorcycle in. Fantastic twisty roads that are maintained to a top level. Nice eateries and Portland has a great deal of Brewpubs. Maybe most important are the number of strip bars to be found in even the smallest of cities. I vacationed there as a single man probably ten years in a row. Oh and PIR is a nice enough racetrack and happens to be owned by the city of Portland.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had a buddy in high school who wanted to go to college and smoke lots of pot, so he went to Reed. He stayed in Portland. He worked in advertising for awhile, in the part that shoots TV commercials. He helped make one of those long ones for SoloFlex. I flew out and visited him and skied at Mt. Hood. That's my only trip to Oregon.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

10. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Last year we drove from San Francisco up to Seattle, via the coastal route which included the entirety of the Oregon coast. Absolutely beautiful, we loved it. If it wasn't so damned far from the rest of our family, we'd seriously consider living out there. Such an interesting coastline, with the big sea stacks and forests that end practically at the water's edge, and some of the coolest tide pools we've ever seen.

Z72_4314.jpg

Z72_4106.jpg

Z72_4447.jpg

11. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I graduated from UC Santa Cruz in 2008. For tons of people there Oregon was the promised land. Moving from Santa Cruz to Portland as soon as they took off their cap and gown was the norm, including a ton of my friends. Yet somehow, despite growing up in Cali I have ’t made it up there, even with the allure of loads of my friends living up there. I have always felt Oregon is the same as Cali, just a bit north.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I dare you to say that to a group of Oreogonians. I'll buy the booze.

14. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Banana Slugs!
    08201903112609-dorks.jpg

15. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As far as Aviation museums, the USAF Museum in Dayton, OH & the USN Aviation museum in Pensacola, FL are must visits

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My freshman year in college, we had some student magazine that was handed out to everyone. It had a feature about colleges with interesting names, and included their logos. There was a bar in town that took driver's license or student ID cards as proof of age for drinking, as long as it had birthday. I used the library laser printer and exacto-cut out the Banana Slug logo with my picture to make a fake UC Santa Cruz ID, "proving" I was 21. (I was 17 when I started college) I laminated it in the Dean's office in the admin building while I helped stuff envelopes for fund raiser mailings.

I used that thing to get into that bar for a year before they changed their policy to license only.

17. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Happened upon a place today with an aviary. There was a fantastic assortment of birds but when I saw this one, I couldn't help but think of @dixiebandit69 . Sorry....

IMG_20240309_164424_(1200_x_800_pixel).jpg

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Boom roasted.

19. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We filed a report with the sheriff's office today. When we told him that we'd had a problem with those dogs before, he straight-up asked:

"Why didn't you just take care of them?" while making a pistol motion with his hand.

Anyway, he insisted on going to the neighbor's house to inform them that a complaint/ report had been filed. They never came to the door, even though their car was parked outside. Someone else from one of the neighboring houses came out and talked to the officer, and he left.

There is something you have to know about that "neighborhood.": Everyone in there is related in some way.

What some families will do down here (probably in other places, too), is that they will buy a few acres of land, and everyone pitches in on the sale price/ taxes, and they make their own streets, lights, etc., and they start "building" houses.

Most of these houses are actually portable buildings. I'd show y'all some pictures from the county zoning website, but then some people who don't like me could probably deduce where I live.

Anyway, y'all drink up, I'm having some cheap red wine right now.

20. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

GIfts for people when I was there was easy as shit. Everyone I knew wanted a banana slug sweatshirt.

That is more work than anyone at UCSC has ever put in in their entire lives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.