Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Netflix Watch Instantly Gems

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Pap, Feb 24, 2010.

1. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

2. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

You each have your opinion of the movie and that's fan-fucking-tastic. Cut this shit out and to each his own. Move on.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I just finished watching Exam because of Jimmy James' description above.

As far as Netflix movies go, it was pretty good. It was clever and had a good twist. Having almost unknown actors did it justice as we dont focus on any of the Candidates specifically. The acting is decent enough, and the back story is interesting when you find out what the job is for. However, some of the elements of character interaction seem like they start happening way to quickly to be within an 80 minute timeframe. If it took place over 6 hours or something, the events would have been more believable. Also,

I called the French guy being the CEO when he got dragged out of there. It was a little predictable.

All in all, it was a pretty good flick, and one of the best instant streams youve never heard of.

8.5/10

4. tempest

tempest
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Just started watching "Thumbs Up" last night. It's a show starring a Korean American and his nephew trying to hitch across the US. (season 3 is in China)
    Overall a funny show. I've just started season 3 and it's looking pretty good.

5. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Netflix has finally acquired The Kennel Murder Case and has it streaming. I've been waiting for them to get this movie in for 3 years now and it finally just showed up in my watch instantly list.

It a 1933 locked door murder mystery starring William Powell as Philo Vance. It's similar to the Thin Man series, but it's older and has the feel of something you dug out of your grandfather's attic. If you like old movies of the type, you will love this one. It takes place at the Long Island Kennel Club when one of the dogs involved in the competition is murdered. The next morning the owner of the dog is also found murdered in a room locked from the inside. Great old flick.

6. awwwSNAP

awwwSNAP
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have a quick question about Rampage: Why? Who actually wants to watch a movie that's just innocent civilians getting murdered? Not to bring back up a dead argument, but other than 'for the message," why would anyone wants to watch it? I mean I guess the people getting murdered in slasher films are mostly innocent (except for the crimes of, generally, being black, being attractive, being blonde, and having sex), but from what yall are saying this seems more like watching video from Columbine than Friday the 13th... I just don't get it. Also, Uwe Boll blows.

On topic, if you missed it during the 90's, Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and its counterpart Xena are totally worth watching if campy doesn't offend you. I'm pretty sure Hercules was like the #1 show on TV during its time slot when it ran because it is AWESOME. If you have ever liked a sci-fi (SyFy?) channel original anything, check out Hercules.

Also, I just watched Daybreakers, starring Ethan Hawke and Willem Dafoe. I put it on as background noise to take a nap but ended up being pleasantly surprised and watching the whole thing. I remember it being in theaters for like a week, but that may have been when Twilight was ruining vampires too hard for people to go see it. It's an interesting if kind of formulaic take on vampires - Mankind has been infected with vampirism, and 95%+ of the population is a vampire. This creates the problem of where they're gonna get blood from, as the human race is almost extinct. Ethan Hawke plays a blood scientist and human sympathizer, and Willem Dafoe plays the ugliest motherfucker ever born. The general plot is nothing new (save mankind from plague, fall in love with the very attractive female lead, etc), but the sympathetic-yet-not-faggy take on vampires was interesting enough to keep me watching. Plus there is some hilariously over-the-top gore - watch the first ~20 minutes and if the ridiculous vampire explosion doesn't hook you then I don't know what to say. Anyway, I liked it and if you don't take it too seriously, you probably will too.

and sorry for the grammar I'm drunk

7. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The League Season 1 is available. I started watching in Season 2 and loved it, so now I'm catching up on the debut season and am thus far pleased.
    Overall, the Netflix TV offerings are pretty solid. I've watched several shows that only had a couple season run (Dollhouse) and it's sure as shit an easy way to waste a Sunday.

8. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I would also recommend this one, along with Unthinkable starring Samuel L. Jackson.

9. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow, just realized all three Mad Max movies are on Instant right now, looks like my Sunday afternoon is planned.

10. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It's not streaming, but since I can't find a more appropriate forum for this, I'd recommend Foyle's War.

It's a British period-piece television mini-series starring Michael Kitchen as a homicide detective during WWII in Southeastern England. The whole thing has a very BBC drama feel to it, (i.e., everything is very understated and subtle) but Kitchen is awesome, the cinematography/camerawork is very good, and each episode is about an hour and forty minutes, so they really are closer to short movies than anything. Check out the first couple of eipsodes if you're looking for something different.

11. Dude

Dude
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Toy Story 3 is up, which I don't think needs explanation.

Also, Black Dynamite. One of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

12. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A bunch of the old 007's are now up. Waiting for that bad weekend where I'm not at the beach to watch all of them.

13. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I found most Masters of Horror episodes! I didn't like Sick Girl (mainly because I don't like Angela Bettis - her same-old schtick gets old) and Cigarette Burns was pretty great but Jenifer skeeved me out. I have yet to watch the rest.

14. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry for the double post, but:

THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING WOMAN!!!!!!!

I haven't seen that since I was a kid and have such fond memories of the garbage disposal scene. Hopefully it held up well but I doubt it.

15. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Miike's "Imprint" is easily my favorite of the series, but "Cigarette Burns" by Carpenter is a worthy second. As much as I love Argento, "Jenifer" is basically Servais's "Harpya" film, only longer.

16. manihack

manihack
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Just want to add a warning that "Imprint" is not for the faint of heart. I watched a grown man faint and faceplant into a sliding glass door after watching it.

17. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Looks like the entire Firefly series is up. I'm enjoying it thus far, a bit of a Space Western tone to it. I don't know that I'd exactly call is genius, but the acting is far superior to the other Whedon show I watched on Netflix, Dollhouse.

18. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Can we include Hulu + in here now too? The Confession (original hulu series) with Keifer Sutherland is the shit. A little predictable, but still very good.

19. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fucking Howard the Duck!

I probably ought not show this to my 12 year old, since we are already concerned that he's going to rip it off in his tireless effort to break the pud-whacking world record, if you catch my drift.

20. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Trinity and Beyond If you like watching archived footage of atomic bombs going off (of course you do) watch this documentary. Extremely entertaining.