Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Movie Pass now $9.95

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Rush-O-Matic, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm putting this in its own thread, because it might be interesting to follow what happens.

If you're not familiar with it, go here: https://www.moviepass.com/

Originally, it was like $50 a month, and you had to previously be a maximum trip theatre buff to make it worth it. Then, it was lowered to $30 a month, and became much more interesting. Now, it's been lowered to $9.95 per month. Obviously, they lose money, but Movie Pass claims they are subsidizing it temporarily with cash infusions. I guess the idea is that, since there's no contract and you can cancel anytime, they'll raise the price, but convince you to stay with their awesome service. I don't know.

Now, AMC is suing, saying that the unsustainable model will hurt (their) business.
    http://fortune.com/2017/08/16/amc-legal-action-moviepass-subsription/

Has anybody signed up?

2. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have't signed up but the movie business is fucking itself by not adapting to the new order, Amazon and Netflix are making huge gains in full length feature films which people can watch at home with a cold beer.

Maybe AMC should look inward and ask themselves why the fuck it costs 2 adults 50 bucks to see a movie, in a dirty theatre with people who are on the phone or talking.

No thanks, I'll wait for the shit to hit Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/DVD.

10 bucks a month is a tempting price, if you could lock it at that price it would be worth it.

#2 Flat_Rate, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All true. Movie Pass was founded by Stacey Spikes & Hamet Wyatt. Spikes has Entertainment Executive experience in music and film, and Wyatt is on the Board for Upfront, which includes TrueCar and other innovative new business. And, the Movie Pass CEO (Mitch Lowe) is one of the founders of Netflix. They have commented before that they think the high cost of seeing a movie has a greater impact on low attendance than just competition from Netflix et al. I think it's also interesting that Spikes and Wyatt are both African American, which is a demographic often touted as under-served - or at least under-represented - in films. Whether or not Movie Pass gaining strength will allow them to be power players to effect that, or even if they want to, remains to be seen.

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We have ipic here which is the tits. It's a tad more expensive but there's no rifraf and you get a reclining seat that comes with drinks and popcorn.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

You would like the theatres in my town: leather reclining seats, a full bar of beer and spirits, your order delivered to your seat (no lines), a nightstand for your seat, nobody under the age of 19, stadium levels for the seats, ceiling speakers. And cleaned between each showing. Definitely worth the extra bucks:

IMG_1894.JPG

Wish we had this coupon-dealy up here.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep... I live a couple blocks from one of the Cineplex Odeon VIP theatres, and it rocks.

If the movie isn't playing in that theatre, I don't see it.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Seconded. The VIP section is geared specifically for adults who want to enjoy their movie experience. And you can get a buzz on while doing it, you can't top that.

They redid the old Galleria theatres downtown with leather recliners too. And they're still cheap with free popcorn refills. With the world going to hell at least we have awesome movie theatres.