Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

MLB 2017

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by toytoy88, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

CanI just say how much I hate MLB umpires?

Wearing white wrist bands to"protest" that coaches and players are saying mean words to them. There's a worthwhile cause, Fuck you.

These poor guys have to work over six months a year, sometimes five times a week for up to four hours a day. Outside. And they only get paid up to $300,000 a year.

You signed up to be an umpire, and get a paid a shitload of money. Stand there, get yelled at, and thank God you made it past the bus leagues.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The biggest thing I hate about that "protest" is that everybody knows that Angel Hernandez is a terrible umpire. This has been a complaint for YEARS. And, Kinsler is right: if he sucks and makes a mistake, his team can lose the game; or, if he complains about the umps sucking he can get fined or suspended. But, if a certain ump sucks, he will be right back out there the next game.

When the umpires went on strike in the late 90's, it was a total failure. They gained nothing and lost the NL-AL designations. Eric Gregg sucked so bad in the 1997 NLCS that the strike did him in. He never got hired back, but if they hadn't struck, he'd have worked until he had a stroke on the field. (Didn't somebody leave a cheeseburger on first base for him one time?) These protesters should learn from that mistake. I don't think it's going to work out as well. If they start getting even a hint of leverage, MLB will suddenly think accelerating the automated umpiring is a great idea.

ETA: I wish I could find better quality video of this, but if you've never seen it, it is high comedy. As a Braves fan, I'd like to claim that's why they lost - it wasn't. But, it was a ridiculous example of Gregg getting caught up and realizing he was being cheered for calling strikes. What a joke.

#202 Rush-O-Matic, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Angel Hernandez is the WORST umpire, ever. Remember the actual, visible home run that he called back regardless of the evidence? He's fucking garbage and always has been.

The late 90's strike was hilarious. I think I remember a bunch of them signed a mass resignation because they thought they had lots of power and clout, the league accepted the resignation and hired willing AAA umps for half the salary. Did somebody say "sandlot ball"?

You have THE easiest officiating job in sports. So shut up and do your goddamn jobs.

4. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  5. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Apparently until last night no team in MLB history had ever hit a home run in each of the first six innings until the Twins hit one in each of the first seven. It's a pretty arbitrary stat but I'm still surprised no team has ever done that before.

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Giancarlo Stanton hit # 56 today with 10 games left. Maybe we'll see a non-steroid 60 season this year.

7. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How do we know it is steroid free?

8. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

We don't. Which is one of the (many) reasons the moral absolutists* who screech about steroids aren't worth listening to. Putting aside the fact that people have been cheating/"looking for an edge" in baseball(and in every sport really) since it was invented, There will always be a swath of people who claim that anyone who hits an inordinate amount of home runs is "juiced" no matter what.

*not saying that Toytoy is this at all.

9. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

The way I look at it is that almost everyone in the "Steroid Era" was juiced, so who cares? It leveled the playing field for everyone, so no harm, no foul.

Hell, Aaron, Mays, just about everyone in the 50's-70's. used speed to get them through the grind of the schedule.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Is this the part where we all get to hand-pick which ones piss us off and which ones bring joy to our hearts even though they did the same thing?

IMG_2013.JPG IMG_2014.JPG

11. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

No hand picking on my part. I'm fully capable of pointing out that arod is a douchebag(to use one example) while acknowledging that hitting 660+ home runs is unreal. It's not mutually exclusive.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

There is a bias however, for going after Juicers more ferociously with shittier personalities. Jeff Bagwell and Mac do not get strung up the way Canseco (who thanks to twitter I now know is actually insane), A-Rod and Bonds do because those guys are assholes. Clemens got out because he was very convincing at having a mental handicap during his roast.

There will always be the drug argument: All in, or none at all. There's no in-between where you only sometimes do drugs.

Perhaps two leagues: One where players have to be completely clean, and the other where everyone is Ken Caminiti-sized construction equipment who need to use yard sticks to scratch an itch on their back. Cock-diesel motherfuckers who the fences will be moved IN for because it's about dingers, baby. Change-ups, curveballs and knucklers are banned.

13. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

14. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Big Mac's rookie HR record just fell to Aaron Judge. He hit 2 today to reach 50.

15. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Ah, another glorious postseason without the Cardinals....

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Even sweeter how the Cubs clinched right there is Busch. Fuck them.

17. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

This is an astounding stat line. Oakland rookie Matt Olson has 24 HR's in 189 AB's over 59 games. That's 'roided up Barry Bonds like numbers. But the astounding thing is not the 24 HR's, it's the fact that along with those 24 HR's he two doubles. Two. How do you even manage that?

18. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That's...... the perfect choice. Just the Willie Mays Award would have been fine with me.

20. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Let's go Twins! Off to a great start!

Edit: Welp, that went south quickly.

#220 Trakiel, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017