Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

MLB 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Arms Akimbo, Apr 5, 2012.

1. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fucking pitch to him and try to beat him. Be a smarter and better pitcher. Easier said than done, I know, but the intentional walks and the number of balls he's being thrown are ridiculous. You wanna get better you play with people who are better than you.

Aside from that, Scott Feldman. Goddamn Roy Oswalt better hurry the fuck up and get ready because it's a travesty even paying for a ticket the night Feldman is pitching.

2. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, I generally hate intentional walks, but why shouldn't people throw balls at him? That is trying to beat him. He's swinging at those pitches - is that not, in fact, the design of a pitch outside the strike zone? To get the hitter to chase a ball that is uncomfortable and difficult to contact well?

They're successfully getting him to do that. The fact that he's managing to turn those into home runs is pretty astounding, but it's sure as hell better than throwing a ball into a comfortable place in the zone.

Great article, though.

Also, the Red Sox are over .500. Ortiz was hitting the snot out of the ball last night - but I can't believe he went for that triple. Seriously? Sit your ass at second base - you're lucky you made it that far.

3. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, I generally hate intentional walks, but why shouldn't people throw balls at him? That is trying to beat him. He's swinging at those pitches - is that not, in fact, the design of a pitch outside the strike zone? To get the hitter to chase a ball that is uncomfortable and difficult to contact well?

They're successfully getting him to do that. The fact that he's managing to turn those into home runs is pretty astounding, but it's sure as hell better than throwing a ball into a comfortable place in the zone.

Great article, though.

Also, the Red Sox are over .500. Ortiz was hitting the snot out of the ball last night - but I can't believe he went for that triple. Seriously? Sit your ass at second base - you're lucky you made it that far.[/quote]
    I see what you're saying, and to a point agree with it.
    But at the same time, they're afraid to throw at him in the strike zone because he's seeing it so well. I understand the point of throwing and getting him to swing at pitches - balls or strikes - but he gets a LOT of out of the zone pitches that a lot of guys don't see.

Then again, I'm pissy about last night, so there's that. I can't fucking believe I sat through a game with Feldman on the mound. I'd rather just give the fucking tickets away next time I'm going and he's pitching. Ugh.

4. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

The anniversary of the coolest event in sports history:

<a class="postlink" href="http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/12/happy-dock-ellis-day/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/ ... ellis-day/</a>

5. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

So...Matt Cain just maybe pitched the best game in history.

6. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is it possible there are so many No-Hitters and Complete-Games because Umpires are spooked to pull another Jim Joyce?

7. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you're gonna ban steroids, then the next best thing is to watch a pitcher dominate. Nobody wants to watch 4 hours of small ball.

The strike zone was getting ridiculous. When I was a kid, it was armpits to knees. Now, every ump has their own unique interpretation. High, low, outside, inside...it was ridiculous. You couldnt get a called strike unless you grooved one down the middle so some jacked up moron could hit it 450'.

8. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This is the number one thing that upsets me about Baseball. The Home Plate Umpire's irregular strike zone. I'm not talking about the errant strike that they call a ball, or ball they call a strike... I'm talking about how every single Ump has their "own" strikezone.
    It fucks with the hitter,, and the pitcher.. And its not consistent throughout the game much less from ump to ump.

Fucking replace them with a greenscreen and be done with it.

Ever watch an entire game with those awesome K-Zone thingy's. Its fucking mindblowing how many bad calls there are.

9. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've always found it odd that baseball has a boundary that by definition varies from player to player.

10. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I dont understand how baseball can have parks that have such different dimensions. Shouldnt there be a min and max requirement for the outfield fences? Little leaguers could hit a home run to right in Yankee stadium.

Thats the problem. you could replace the umpires in baseball with replays and sensors. Put a sensor in the ball, 1 in the bases and 1 in the infielders gloves. Run a wire down each foul line and up the foul pole, and across the top of the outfield walls. You wouldnt need 3 guys on the field, just 1 in the booth.

11. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

And when they tag someone out running down the first base line? Sensors on the players sleeves?

But I agree about the strike zone, can't really blame the umpires on this one. It's difficult to tell whether the 98 mph fastball was at the players knee or a quarter of an inch below. Some sort of electronic mechanism should be used instead.

12. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Replay. Always replay as a backup. but you could do uniforms with sensors.

i dont mind variations, but be consistent. if its a strike for halladay, then it should be a strike for the other guy. i hate corner nibblers.

13. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: MLB 2012 Season

[/quote]
    Replay. Always replay as a backup. but you could do uniforms with sensors.
    [/quote]

I agree with all the strike zone problems, but I can't get behind the replay argument for strikes and balls, baseball is a fantastic game but it is also slow.. Replay will just make this much worse, now replay for tagging/throwing a player out is one thing but replay for any pitch thrown that a coach or ump doesn't agree with? Sorry I just don't see it.

14. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: MLB 2012 Season

I wouldnt do replay for balls and strikes either.

Use the Foxtracks or whatever they call it to figure balls and strikes.

15. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Back to Back 1 game hitters for RA Dickey. I have no idea why I find this so impressive. But I do.

Am I wrong, but don't you think that this guy is sitting on a perfect business opportunity? He should come out with his own line of Met Turtleneck Dickeys. I'd buy one.

[​IMG]

16. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I assume you find it impressive because it is impressive. Really impressive.

17. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Also, his getting so good kinda makes no sense, considering he went from pretty for most of his career, to pretty good at age 36, to ridiculously good at age 37.

I know knuckleballs are fickle things, but it's remarkable how well he's been able to control it this year. That k/bb is ridiculous.

18. Kinsey

Kinsey
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Not to mention he has no UCL in his pitching elbow.

19. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't understand that if you pitch for 1 team and they know you cheat, that when you leave that team and you face them again in the future as a member of a new team, that the old team isnt supposed to say anything about the cheating?

Stop cheating for 1 series, you fucking idiot. Especially interleague, where you might only see them every 2 or 3 years.

20. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Fucking Strasburg...

<a class="postlink" href="http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/20/stephen-strasburg-beats-rays-wins-sixth-straight-starts/related/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/ ... s/related/</a>

I swear, the Nationals are fast becoming my favorite team to watch.*

*Except for the Yankees, of course. Their clear superiority in every aspect of the game by definition makes the heroic, god-like athletes(if such a base term can describe such greatness) the best team to watch in any sport, in any given situation. Ever.