Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

John Mayer's 'Hood Pass' Doesn't Seem To Cut It

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bryan, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaintBastard

SaintBastard
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm just glad that all of the concerned citizens of the world have time to take on the number one problem affecting our planet today: an off-hand comment made by a teeny-bopper rocker in a titty magazine.

Focus: The only thing I learned from this media fiasco is that John Mayer can be funny. Good for him. He should talk about his black-hating testicles next.

2. c_norris

c_norris
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Satch is a shredder. John's not. Apples to oranges.

Focus: Sure, he's a tool. But I like the ballsiness to actually say these things, even if he did apologize to cover his ass.

3. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See, I was a little pissed about the J. Simpson comment. That wasn't funny at all to me. In fact, it was really fucking disrespectful and I feel like he needs to make an apology ASAP.

He's like that guy who thinks that bragging to all of his friends about how great your BJs are is somehow a......compliment? It doesn't matter if what you're saying can be construed as positive--if you're talking about someones private sex life without their permission, you're wrong. Period. And she's always tried to keep quiet about that subject, so even though it can be taken as "complimentary" that he compared her to sexual napalm, it was still fucking wrong to do so. Yes, I'm sure she smiled when asked about it by a reporter, but what else can she do? Any other response starts a Hollywood media war about "Jessica Angry At Mayer For Revealing Her Dirty Sexual Nature" so smiling is literally her best option for controlling that shit.

And he's a dumbass. Anyone who truly has a Benetton heart cannot have a David Duke dick.

4. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It'd be one thing if his comments were either smart and/or funny, but they were wrong on both counts.

It sounded like he went into that interview with absolutely nothing to talk about and winged it.

5. Dyson004

Dyson004
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Re: John Mayer's 'Hood Pass' Doesn't Seem To Cut In the Media

Men prefer European over African females? I disagree. I'd say that a large percentage of the population prefers to date within their own race. Myself personally, I love black chicks. Seeing as how I'm the product of a biracial marriage (White and Asian), technically all of my relationships are interracial.

Different strokes for different folks, but I personally can't understand limiting the pool of available pussy based on something like race or skin color.

I understand what John Mayer was trying to do with the hood pass. You don't just claim a hood pass. It just something that is, or isn't. You might joke about it, but it's not something you intellectualize and debate. Either way, he didn't handle it very well. I wouldn't say he's being racist, I'd say he's being a jackass.

EDIT: Clarification

6. thatone

thatone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I was just offended he didn't share naked picture messages that she sent him.

You know she sent them.

Show em, Mayer!

7. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the fact that he cried onstage while apologizing is douchebaggier than the original statement.

Was it racist? My question on whether or not things are racist is this: was it said with hate behind it, or an intent to harm? No.

8. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Black men are just more inclined to criminal activity. It's just a part of their culture and the way they were raised. No father, working mother, a community that encourages hatred towards those who own things because of good paying jobs, gangs, etc.

I mean no harm by that statement, and I feel like everyone should get their day in court & all that. It's just my personal truth, gleaned from my life experiences with black men. I don't hate black men either--sure, I wouldn't fuck one or trust one with my purse, but they can be okay as people sometimes. Hell, I actually LOVE Denzel Washington! He seems so nice and it looks like he was brought up right.

I also have black friends. I'm definintely NOT a racist. This post was NOT racist.

9. SaintBastard

SaintBastard
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This Phat Phree article (easily one of my top five) is as appropriate here as it was for the Imus debacle: Some of my Best Friends are N-Words.

Some favorite quotes:

10. Aperture

Aperture
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I love how there's this belief that what he said was "ballsy," when in reality, he was just being an asshole. He made an idiotic, racially charged comment. He's now dealing with the backlash of that comment. It might be news if it didn't happen all the time. He routinely says stupid shit that has absolutely no social relevance, it only highlights his idiotic reasoning.

I also think that this has nothing to do with "being PC." That whole label is getting old. What we're really dealing with is a cultural shift in thinking. The people that were routinely the butt of a million jokes aren't going for it anymore. Avoiding offensive terms isn't really "being PC" so much as it's NOT being an asshole. Mayer is an asshole.

And while we're at it, there's nothing prolific, special, or fucking uber-talented about the guy. He takes a few blues/rock riffs, throws them together and that's it. (Is he more talented than me? Of course. But he's no fucking guitar great.)

11. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think Mayer is a very intelligent and introspective sort of dude. If you read articles about him, or interviews with him, its not like he was some high school music stud with girls throwing themselves at him. He was a nerd who played tons of guitar and then all of a sudden got turned into this sex symbol that even he finds a bit ridiculous. Thus, while having no shame in enjoying it, he also takes the opportunity to poke fun at it and see where he can go with his celebrity. Does he do dumb shit sometimes? Absolutely, but he is also a genuinely funny and clever guy whose main fault is not having much of a filter. I don't think he is a douche and I think alot of the public criticism is by people who are jealous of his ability or celebrity status and thus take shots at him cause he doesnt run everything he does by a PR rep.

Personal story, my mom used to see him all the time in NYC at the Starbucks she went to when she was staying in the city. This is a bit after Continuum came out. She was there with my little sister and they were sitting drinking coffee while, lo and behold, Mayer was on his laptop nearby. He got up to go to the bathroom or something when he knocked over my sisters coffee. He tastes some of the spilled coffee, remarks that the latte needed more milk, and without another word comes back with a new one while apologizing profusely. They left a few min later and he waved and said "Y'all come back now." My mom was impressed, my sister thought it was the coolest thing ever, and I was pleased to hear of an incident contrary to the arrogant cockbag labels people were tossing at him at the time.

I thought the racist dick comment was funny and no more offensive/risque than 95% of sexual slanted comic routines you may hear at a club.

12. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! So he accidentally knocked over her coffee. Okay. That happens. Then he has to laugh off the incident by saying that it needed more milk anyhow (so yeah, this silly little girl shouldn't even care that he knocked it over, it was clearly an inferior latte) and he presumably brought her one with more milk. Totally ignoring the fact that maybe this girl liked her latte as it was, and didn't want one with more milk.

This just cemented the fact that he's an arrogant cockbag. A classy man would've just apologized and replaced it, minus the snarky commentary about the amount of milk. It wasn't funny, and it wasn't necessary. I don't think people are complaining about his actions, only the horse manure that comes out of his mouth. And damn it if your anecdote doesn't prove the point.

EDIT: And how the fuck did he taste a spilled latte? Either he put his mouth on her fucking cup after it fell over (arrogantly presumptuous--what if she still wanted it?) or he put his finger in a latte puddle and stuck it in his mouth. FUCKING GROSS.

13. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Oh, come on now. Guy stands up, knocks something over and spills it, makes a joke to ease over the mistake, and replaces it with profuse apologies. Let's not infer that he's therefore an arrogant cockbag.

I think when you get this popular/exposed, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

14. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

God damn it. I retract everything I've said so far and issue simply this. I don't care. Can we put this thread out to pasture where it fucking belongs.

I didn't think this board would ever stoop to dissecting the minutiae of Mr. Mayer's life, and I don't know how we got sucked into it, but jesus let's stop now.

15. travdiddy84

travdiddy84
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Some people can bend reality in whichever ways fit their moods that week. Get used to it.

16. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How you managed to read my post and think "SEXISM! OMFG!" is beyond me. I never once mentioned sexism. But I did mention his penchant for making shitty jokes that can be offensive, and the fact that he apparently opens his mouth before thinking twice about the possible implications his statements may make.

Look, the guy is arrogant. He thinks that he can make "jokes" about anything he likes and not catch flak for it later. Well, tough shit. He can't. Every single interaction I've ever had/heard of with this guy has always had an undercurrent of douchebaggery. Same goes for this coffee shop shit. And if you can't see that, it's beyond me.

17. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Exactly. It was a joke. I didn't ask her for the taste play by play, but he brought her a new coffee, and didn't infer that hers was shitty. I know they were more impressed by his actions, that many people, celebrity or not, probably wouldn't have done in that situation.

18. deltabelle

deltabelle
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I think this video pretty much sums things up for me:

#38 deltabelle, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  19. thatone

thatone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I watched it for a minute. It looks like someone needs to have the "what you said makes you sound like a fuckwit" conversation, as long as they avoid the "you are a fuckwit" conversation.

#39 thatone, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  20. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Christ, shut up already. You badly misinterpreted JWags' original story, and when people pointed this out, you continue arguing like an idiot. Let it go; you were wrong, and there was nothing douchy about accidentally knocking someone's drink, apologizing, and then buying them a new one.

Focus-

We live in an age where traditional journalists are a dying breed, and in a last, desperate, feeble attempt to make themselves relevant, they attempt to blow every minor incident into a major "scandal". Nothing surprising there.

I'm just surprised at all the people, some in this topic, who think Mayer is some kind of transcendent guitar player. He's pretty good; a quality professional with solid technique. There are also at least a 100 guitarists out there, in every genre of music, who are more technical, innovative, and would run circles around him in a jam session.

If you think Mayer is as good as it gets when it comes to the guitar, you're really missing out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.