Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Holiday Traditions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Due to the fact that we have cats, the top of the tree is firmly anchored to the ceiling with a piece of heavy fishing line. The cat has climbed up into the tree without failure, so it seems to work all right.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

The description on youtube is what really makes it cool.

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure why swimming with Orcas is a holiday tradition, but that was really cool.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I didn’t know Orcas were dolphins until I watched Blue Planet like a week ago.

[​IMG]

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Easy mistake, since they are known as killer whales. Don't get me started on the whole porpoise-dolphin-dolphinfish-mahi mahi thing.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Thank you for your consideration. This really is Christmas season.

As far as Xmas movies, I think Christmas Vacation is my least favorite aside from Elf. I had never seen it in its entirety until about 2 years ago or so, and Im just not into it. Maybe I missed the point where it would have been nostalgic like other movies. I think Vegas Vacation is my favorite out of that series.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

My wife thinks Elf is the greatest movie ever and plays it at least once a day during Xmas season, which apparently starts before thanksgiving. Even my 4 year old is starting to get annoyed by it, so he just sticks with me in the office watching sports.

Elf is the worst holiday movie ever. Bad Santa is great. Except for that stupid fat kid. Die Hard is another great Xmas movie.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Really? Vegas? That’s a first for me. Usually it’s split between the original and Xmas. The first one also had Bev D’Angelo’s sparkling tittays, worth a three star film rating just on their own.

My daughter is right into Christmas Vacation. She can’t stop rewinding the part when Elaine Benice gets drilled by the squirrel, then by Snots.

Other traditional films include:

Die Hard
    Die Hard 2
    Mr. Bean’s Christmas special
    Bad Santa director’s cut
    Elf
    Scrooge (The Alistair Sim Christmas Carol movie)
    Scrooged (stupid but funny)

My least favourite is probably Polar Express. It had such potential to be a great movie; instead they make it this weird cliffhanger action movie with annoying, creepy characters that look like they’re wearing 1940’s-style dentures. Tom Hanks has six roles and can’t save it. The train itself is the only good part.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Wasn’t Euro Vacation the tittays one? The original is great too.

12. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Did you know that Vacation is a screen adaptation of a National Lampoon story called "Vacation '58"?

John Hughes was a writer for NL at the time and was one of my favorites, he wrote some absolutely classic shit for them back when I was in high school.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

FFBEF7F6-C505-48CE-BED5-9DEA074F3577.jpeg

14. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My favorite part of the original vacation is when they accidentally drag the dog to death. That scene could never be in a movie today.

I think Christmas Vacation is is too much shtick and not enough content. And leads to way too many people that think they are funny saying “shitters full”.

I prefer Bad Santa. I also think Home Alone is amazing. Which is odd because the entire movie is shtick.

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck is wrong with you people not liking Christmas vacation? It’s certainly the best of any of the movies save for Beverly D’Agnelos tittays. The original is super dated with really only a handful of memorable scenes. I honestly like Vegas Vacation second best in terms of rewatchability.

Christmas Vacation is the only real traditional watch at my house. I love Die Hard but am currently put off by the Pokémon Go millennials obsession with it.

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah, every intern at our office has uttered something like, “ My favorite Christmas movie is Die Hard teeheehee.” It’s shameless gate keeping, but its eye-roll-a-rific coming from people that weren’t even born when Die Hard with a Vengeance came out.

Maybe it’s bias in knowing what a prick Chevy Chase is, but I just find the movie annoying and just can’t get through Christmas Vacation.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Home Alone is the first time a trailer successfully trolled an audience. It conned it’s way into being a blockbuster. The trailer and TV previews made you believe this film was a slapstick action movie about a kid defending his home from burglars, when in fact that’s about seven minutes of it that comes right st the end, the rest of it consists of a really annoying little shit who does boring things and talks to himself constantly.

It didn’t troll the audience near the insane level that “Hereditary” did, but they created hundreds of millions of dollars and a film franchise out of an absolutely dogshit film.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had a girl’s eyes bug out when I said I saw Jurassic Park in theaters opening weekend when it came out. She was 1 at the time. To be fair I was only ten but I felt like a geezer at that moment. Another classic they are obsessed with and ruined the franchise by putting out shit nostalgia based sequels to appease millennials.

19. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They didn’t ruin anything. The first movie is still amazing. They could make a movie about Richard Dreyfus fucking dinosaurs and it still wouldn’t make the first movie any worse. Just like the ahitty ghostbusters. It’s ahitty. So what? The first ghostbusters is still good.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Right on both counts. The first JP set the standard in special effects. It showed the world how CGI should be utilized and it still looks remarkable.

While we’re at it, Richard Edlund’s effects in the original Ghostbusters still look incredible.

I use my kid as a measure for how films of our youth have aged. She loves the first JP, Ghostbustes, Asventures in Babysitting, Romancing The Stone, Back to the Future.

Hated the Goonies, though. And I showed her The NeverEnding Story. It was going great but I hadn’t seen it in years and completely forgot about Artax and the Swamp Of Sadness. Many tears were shed and she refused to watch anymore.

Family films used to be so blessedly hardcore. How did we get so pussy-whipped?