Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Game Of Thrones - Book/TV discussions - WITH SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Nettdata, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Someone needs to drop a pallet of GoT DVDs on cocksuckers like that. Barring that, fucking with him and his property until he apologizes for being a shithead.

2. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I came to a really sad realization last night. The Winds of Winter is probably the last book in the series that will be published before the tv series completes. Chances are iffy that it gets released before the start of Season 5, and after season 5 they'll be further along some plots then the books are. I imagine at that point Martin will become more involved in helping them plan the overall plot for the following seasons. Which means less time to write the books. Here's already taking about 4-5 years to write each book. Even if the show continues for 9 full season we won't see book 7 until after the series runs it course. I also don't think the books will stop at 7. It seems like they keep expanding, and I wouldn't be surprised to get 8 or 9. I wish I could block out all GoT talk, and just wait for the books to be finished to come back to the show. I know it would be impossible to make if through without catching any spoilers though. Kinda bums me out.

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He has said multiple times that it is 7 books. No way he's going to live long enough for 8 or 9 given his pacing. Also, people seem to be upset he's not writing fast enough, fuck the TV show. I want the books to be great. This isn't some grocery store story I want to read. There is plenty other shit I can do until he's done writing them, I don't want bullshit because he's rushed.

Good news is that he gave the outline of what is going to happen to Bernioff and Weiss. Given how they've already moved things around, but are still hitting the core beats, with occasional input from Martin, I don't think we're going to see some major fall off in quality at that time. Except the fact Arya is going to have tits by the time this show is over and Bran's voice is going to be deep.

4. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I want Martin to go at his pace and write great books as well, but the ending of the series is going to be spoiled by the show for me and you. It may not be exactly the same, but it will hit the same major plot points. I'm not raging about it like some people do, but it does bum me out. I had read the whole series by the time the tv show started, and I would have preferred if I could have read the ending of it all before watching it. I think it's a coin flip at this point on whether or not the series will keep expanding. I lean towards thinking it will.

5. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've heard a few whispers that the current book has had it's release held up to coincide with the TV series and that he is a decent way into the last book.

6. Not the Bees!

Not the Bees!
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yeah, 7 books for 7 kingdoms. Really though, it does seem hard to believe he could tie it all up in just 2 more books given how many plot-lines he opened up in books 4 and 5. I also think there's a decent chance that The Winds of Winter is the last book he finishes in his lifetime. It's hard to believe a guy as unhealthy as GRRM has another 5 years in him to get the last book out.

I guess it just depends on how much faith you have in Bernioff and Weiss. I'm mixed, some of the their deviations from the book have resulted in good tv, such as the recent Bran/Craster's Keep plot. But other times it has just been pointless and annoying i.e. "I invoke sumai!". My main concern would be that with only Martin's outline to guide the show, we'd get the main core plot, but with a lot more of Bernioff and Weiss' gratuitous shock material.

7. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I guess the show nerds can get their revenge and spoil the ending for us book nerds.

8. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would not be surprised about this at all. Why give the book readers something to lust over when you can possibly have the TV watchers catch up on the books. Then release the book at the end of the whatever season book 5 is going to be. The people that are going to read the books are going to be caught up, and hell maybe the people that haven't will definitely secure more books sold.

Also in regards to Book 4, I think a lot of that stuff will get tossed out storyline wise as it is common knowledge that he didn't know exactly where to take the story at that point. It could tie in and have an interesting impact, but it can also just get flat out discarded.

9. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's Benioff, you nerds.

10. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#250 Stealth, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

#251 Nettdata, Jul 11, 2014
  12. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh shit. They're getting into book 4 for reals.

#252 Parker, Jul 25, 2014
  13. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The most significant part of that video is what characters were NOT announced. Could be some massive chunks of story left off or saved for S6.

#253 GcDiaz, Jul 26, 2014
  14. Robbie Clark

Robbie Clark
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Looks like they're combining Arianne and some of the bastard kids, the Sands. Or they just haven't cast them yet.

15. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

i just posted that link about all the got people talking about how they're not doing lady stoneheart, but on rcn's site, when you try to order hbo the season 4 cover art is showing.

Attached Files:

17. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

kind of funny

Attached Files:

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

that is funny... but you know he doesn't give a fuck and would, conceivably, do just that.

19. CanisDirus

CanisDirus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't know if anyone has heard of Karliene, but she does these amazing Westerosi music covers on her channel.

But back on-topic, here's hoping for Stoneheart and enough Sands being covered in the show.

#259 CanisDirus, Sep 19, 2014
  20. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded