Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Fuck Bob Vila... the Home Repair Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Jan 16, 2010.

1. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would love more then 2d cnc machine.

2. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would also love a dual extruder printer for dual colour or one colour with a dissolvable supports.

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did one of those some time back. I mean, the B is right there.

4. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The wife and I decided to remodel the kitchen. I have a background of doing European style cabinetry and really didn't want face frame cabinets. Finally found a stock line of cabinets that are frameless. The Thomasville Nouveau line. They're nice. Not "Forever Home" nice, but nice enough for this house. Now the appliances are a different story, I use to sell high end appliances and cannot deal with crappy kitchen appliances. We're doing a 36" six burner Capital Range. (I really wanted the high powered open burner) pro range hood, nice faucet and the one item I would refuse to budge on, my beloved Miele dishwasher. I really wanted to do a Miele or Sub Zero refrigerator but Jesus Christ they've become WAY too much money.

The cabinets get delivered on the 11th and we'll start the demo some time after that when all our ducks are in a row. I'll take pics in process so you guys can see the hell I'm going through.

5. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Actually, I think I'll create a new 3d printing permanent thread, see if it takes off.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

As you may remember, a few months ago I did my own humidifier control and built out a water recirculation system out of an acquarium pump, float valve, and a Home Depot bucket.

Just did the math this morning with the new water bill, and it's shaved $40 a month off the water bill since it went in.

Colour me impressed... well worth the time spent.

IMG_5715.jpeg

IMG_5720.jpeg

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yesterday the dryer started getting all fucked up... huge vibrations, some noise, etc. It was sounding pretty bad.

Of course the first instinct is to call a repairman to come out and figure it out, but I opted to spend some time on YouTube and see what I could figure out.

Learned how to rip the thing apart, so did so. Undid a couple of screws, unhooked a few electrical connectors, and then I had the front of the unit off and the blower exposed. It was a bit of a pain, but nothing outrageous.

Fucking hell... the air blower was jammed packed full of lint. Hard pressed, compacted, solid lint to each of the vanes on the plastic cage.

Grabbed a screwdriver and a shop vac and pulled an insane amount of lint out of the vanes, and the vibrations and noise all went away... it was like having a brand new dryer.

And of course there is no easy way to do any of this without taking the thing apart. The cynic in me thinks this is to increase service calls, because how many people are going to rip their dryer apart when it starts vibrating enough that it's walking across the room?

So yeah... if your dryer has some weird noise or a lot of vibrations going on, check out the blower cage for lint. It's driven off the same shaft as the drum rotating strap, so if it's out of whack/balance due to lint build-up, the whole dryer is affected.

Figured I saved a few hundred bucks for a service call here, thought I'd share.

IMG_5926.jpeg

IMG_5930.jpg

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

By the way, the mechanical design for that lint trap process really fucking sucks, and this is an almost guaranteed outcome over time. They also have some weird ducting in there that makes it almost impossible to clean out without ripping it all apart like that.

10. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    I bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer a couple of years ago when my old washing machine went tits up. They were expensive, but much, much better in terms of build quality. The lint trap on the dryer is simply a concave screen with a removable grate over it. There is no possible way lint (other than fine dust) can work its way through.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Same. Mine is a natural gas model which is just a hollow tube with a flame that shoots down the inside to produce heat. The amount of lint dust that was in and around it was scary.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, this is a two year old set of top of the line whirlpool.

Never again.

I’ll have to remember to look into Speed Queen when the time comes to replace them.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Not sure where to put this since it's more a general knowledge kinda thing, but I use trucker's hitch knot like crazy. Around the house, at work, in the truck. Especially hauling shit in the truck. And I feel like an idiot for not knowing the trick shown in this video, so figured I needed to share.

14. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Even though I did builder appliance sales and kitchen cabinet remodels for a combined ~17 years, I never realized how bad it sucks living without a kitchen.

Attached Files:

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'd say you're just a bit committed now.

16. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Speed Queen is the only way to go, father in law is a appliance repair guy and I run calls with him sometimes, he hasn’t run a call on a Speed Queen in almost 15 years.

He recommends Speed Queen and whirlpool, never buy any appliance made by Samsung or LG, nothing but problems.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My FrakenControllers are getting a bit more sophisticated.

This one will manage my automatic watering system for the seedlings. ... turns fans off, open main feeder valve, turns on 3 other valves based on need, as well as running fans on a periodic cycle.

I've tied it into the house water supply.

Even has a green button that you can push to do "on-demand" watering, as well as the 3 times a day timers I put in place.

Aside from some bullshit plumbing details and shitty solenoid valves, it's going quite well. Hoping to have it all in and running by the weekend.

IMG_5980.jpeg

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

upload_2019-4-11_9-27-21.png

19. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Totally forgot to update this as I went along so here are some almost done pics. We still need to pick out knobs/pulls, finish the crown, put the floor in and pick out a pendent light for over the peninsula but we're very happy with how it's turning out. And the range's 25,000 btu burners are pretty much over kill. I don't think we cook anything over medium heat. But, that's like me complaining that my car makes too much horsepower.

Edit - added a previous kitchen pic

Attached Files:

20. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Has anyone replaced a garage door themselves? We have watched some videos and sourced some replacements from HD and Lowes. The tracks and motor are fine, 2 of 4 panels are damaged and the stamp pattern made now is different so the whole door needs to be replaced. The estimates received from local professionals included sourcing a door from Wayne Dalton (which is $$$). If the dimensions and style are correct, and the door has the insulation or whatever features we need, does it matter where we get the door? Thanks in advance for any tips or experiences you can share. I'd love to save some money but don't want to get in over my head.