Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Faking it til you make it (now with MOAR college entrance exams)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Mar 4, 2019.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FOCUS: Imposter Syndrome. Ever had it? Ever dealt with it? Ever seen someone else deal with it?

I started a new job, running a group of analysts, or as I call it "nerd-wrangling".

I haven't taken a math class since before this place was a thing, and the type of statistics and analytics this team usually does is I'd say a foot above my head on average. Now, all I'm there to do is supervise and lean into some stuff when needed.

But i can't help feeling like I shouldn't be there, as some of these guys have skillsets that way outpace my own.

KUBLA Edit: Just going to make this the official college scandal thread as well.

#1 downndirty, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2019
  2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yep. Im in a job I've had zero direct training for, just fell into it because I knew a person who knew a person and had some lateral experience that was relevant. You might not necessarily be in your job because you know the information or have the experience they have, thats why they are there. Perhaps you're there because you're better at resolving bigger picture issues or talking with executive management. There is a lot of value in having soft skills and a degree of emotional/professional intelligence that having the ability to put your head down and crunch numbers might not have.

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes. I started my current job back in October and I’m finally getting more comfortable. Previously, I worked for the state government as an inspector of radiological equipment, so my day to day was mostly just dealing with retarded people coasting their way to retirement consequence-free. That’s what people who work for local and state governments do. Be retarded, and stay under the radar just enough to not really be seen/cared about.

I was somehow able to take my previous medical exerience and my current regulatory experience and get hired on as quality assurance manager for an entire radiology department in a hospital.

Needless to say, the learning curve was steep and I felt like the dumbest person in the room for a while. I still do at times. Everyone I work with now are doctors and physicists. People tell me I’m doing well but I’m not totally convinced.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In my work life it’s more been the faking of confidence in your decision making than specific skill. My confidence isn’t high as it is in a lot of areas so I’ve had to fake it, mostly in my ability to carry out the decision for a long term project or goal. You get a good idea going, pitch it as a project, and then the dread of the whole thing collapsing in a giant mess sets in. They’re going to know I’m out of my depth! Two biggest things that have helped me besides barreling through the anxiety is, accepting failure as just another part of the process and asking for help where your weaknesses are.

In my last job I automated our entire SEO reporting process. I didn’t know coding and luckily for me we were a software company so I just sat down with a developer and had him whip up a few lines of code for me to be able to show the department head it was a viable idea. What would have taken me a month learning how to code in this program took him ten minutes. The projected got okd and they brought in another programmer to flesh it all out and I managed the project until completion. Some of my grandiose ideas couldn’t be done in practicality and was also limited by the program’s capabilities so I had to work within the reality of any given situation or problem.

5. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Its funny this thread came up today considering the massive college entrance fraud indictment that dropped today. I have to imagine the kids currently in the schools that their parents defrauded have to be feeling a little bit imposter-ish today. Unless they knew about it the whole time.

6. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’m guessing the ones that were given entrance through sports teams knew what was up. Apparently they faked pictures to show they actually played in high school. It’s hilarious.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well William H Macy certainly didn't know, that's why he wasn't mentioned, which is problematic.

8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of the parents set up a fake ACT for her son to take so he didn't know she had paid some smarter kid to take the real test. That's gotta be a blow to wake up to this morning.

In other news, I apparently could have made bank as a fake test-taker back when I was younger.

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or a sailing coach. So fucking white.

10. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My sailing experience was limited to having the judgement not to try to steer my boat in between two other boats that were sailing closely in parallel when dared to by my cousin. I was vindicated in my decision when the two boats collided not just with each other, but with a third boat, the boom of which punctured the sail of one of the original two.

Fake test-taking would have been much easier with my skillset back then.

11. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I read through the transcripts for their case and he was on one of the phone calls. I can reread it but I thought he knew.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

One parent filed an appeal to the ACT board that their kid has learning disabilities and could take the test under a less intense environment, the guy running the scam paid off a test proctor to correct the wrong answers and then made a huge donation to the school they wanted to attend on top of it.

The Full House chicks kid posted on social media that she didn’t give a shit about school, would rather party and wouldn’t be going to class. Imagine if that admission had gone to some less privileged kid who would actually give a shit.

13. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This was a plot line from season one of shameless too. He should have known.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Donald Trump Jr is crowing about this on Twitter with, what is even for him, a total lack of self awareness.

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im being facetious as there are already sjw's upset he's not being equally covered, or mentioned by name, as his wife(who was actually charged).

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I read through the list of people charged and it looks like they charged both parents on most of them. Any idea why Macy escaped the hangman's noose?

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently a lot of the indictments are already online I have read them. My guess is she was the one that set up the payments?

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe he was cooperating against her? (Unlikely but maybe?)

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean it's really on his level of involvement I guess if she facilitated most of it with the informants then maybe they just didn't have enough to charge him on.

20. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That’s what really bothered me. It completely wrecks the whole idea of some kid working hard in a public school, maybe be the first person in your family to go to college, to barely even be competitive against of bunch of people like this. Only to get rejected so some Instagram whore gets your spot.