Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Dexter Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by hbax, Jul 24, 2010.

1. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My out of left field prediction for the end of the season is:
    Quinn finds out Dexter is the "vigilante" going after these guys. However, because he's not a super-cop with a hard-on for Dex like Doakes, and possibly because he kills Liddy at some point, he doesn't try to bring Dexter to justice and even tells him that he won't.
    That's how I'm currently guessing the season ends for those characters.

2. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Jordan/Lumen phone dialogue at the end of the episode was chilling and fucking awesome. Im so pumped for next week.

Michael C. Hall just so completely owns this character. The humanizing aspects of Dexter they have shown this season have been fantastic and really a testament to Hall's ability.

They've also managed to make Quinn from a complete jagaloon to a character that could potentially be kind of cool.

3. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, great episode. They'll never top last season, but compared to the others, I'd say this has the potential to be as good as any of them.

Honestly, could Hall ever take on another role after Dexter? He does such a good job, it seems like a guarantee that he'll end up like Jason Alexander playing George on Seinfeld and never getting major work again. People just can't see him as anything else. I guess Seinfeld was more main stream popular than Dexter, but still, he's absurdly good at playing that character, just like Lithgow was playing Trinity.

Speaking of the time after Dexter, do any of you think this could be the last season? As far as I know, they haven't said one way or the other, and with all the humanizing of Dexter going on this season, and someone like Liddy basically having evidence of Dexter killing, it seems like a growing possibility that this is the season where he "sees the light" (aka Lumen) and quits killing, or gets caught, or both.

I personally think they could do a good job of another season, but I would give them full props if they ended it in a huge way this year, and left the audience wanting more.

4. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

I watched the entire 6 Feet Under series during the time between seasons 4 and 5 of Dexter. Hall owned David Fisher just like he owns Dexter. While I was 6 Feet Under, at first I couldn't help but see Dexter but that went away very quickly and by the end of it he was David Fisher. Soon as Dexter started up, in no time at all, I saw him as Dexter again. He is just that damn good of an actor.

5. Marjorine

Marjorine
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I just typed up something nearly identical to this, you beat me to it. He was amazing in Six Feet Under, once you get over "OMG it's gay Dexter LOL". I'm sure whatever Hall does after Dexter he will completely own that, too.

Speaking of "after Dexter", I really think they're going to wrap it up soon, and I wouldn't mind if they did. I'd rather it end well then grow even more implausible and have him evade getting caught again. I really don't understand how he can get out of this one, especially with the previews of next week, unless it all gets pinned on Lumen somehow (but then how would they explain how they met in the first place?). Anyway, I think it would be great if they ended this season on a cliffhanger of him getting caught (by Deb perhaps?) and then next season deals with the aftermath of that, and that being the last season of the show. It would change the formula considerably, but they're taken risks that have paid off before. I suppose he could just start killing criminals who are already in jail. That would be an entirely different show, of course.

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think Dexter will end up finding out about Liddy and he or Quinn will have to kill him when he goes too far. Dexter will pin the vigilante murders on him. Im sure Dexter would be able to come up with something convincing to tell quinn about the late night garbage bag dumping. Wasn't there an unaccounted for person in the teenage picture of Jorndan/Head gaurd/Rocky Racoon? Did they figure that out? Liddy seems kind of old to be in the picture but I have a gut feeling he will be the fall guy.

7. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't know why you spoiler tagged your guesses about what happens, but...

I could see Liddy getting pinned for vigilantee murders, but it just feels a little season 2 to me. I hope they do something more creative than that. Needless to say, Liddy is 99% to die at this point, though wouldn't he have to kill someone to meet The Code? I just can't figure out how Lumen's season is going to end. I don't want her to die, and I don't think leaving would be the right option either. Although, Dex has made it clear she can fly back to MN at any time, and she's been actively helping him, so I guess that would be insurance...

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think thats why Quinn might have to end up killing him. I think there will be a climax with Dex and Jordan and Liddy will get in the middle and threaten Dexter having Quinn coming in to take him down. With Lumen it gets a little trickier, I think it would be shitty if she died, either by Jordan or by Dex because she somehow was complicit in the kidnapping ring (lord knows this show could do a repressed memory line, the vile of blood of a living girl concerns me in this respect). I don't see her as a long term love interest but I can see her leaving without Dexter worrying, particularly if she murders Jordan herself.

9. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"Goodbye Lumen" is close to the level of "hello dexter Morgan" can't wait For the end

10. Andolingus

Andolingus
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

You mean, "Take care... Lumen". Fuck. That was a perfect TV moment, from the cinematographer framing Jordan into a position of power, to Lee Miller's awesome slow-burning rage. And for once this season, it felt like a natural sequence for the episode. No need for accidentally smashing getaway trucks full-of-bodies-marinating-in-formalin, or any other stupid Season 5 Dexter trick.

Fuck me. That was awesome.

Also, with the way they just offed Rita, I can't see how Lumen will stay in the show beyond this season (if we even get a 6th season). It feels like we're being set up to believe that she's his perfect counterpart, and look at how that worked out for Lila.

11. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I have to agree with everything that's been said. After the final line I literally jumped out of my chair and stood there stunned for a second or two. Then I had to turn off the show real quick as I really don't want the previews of the next episode to spoil ANYTHING. It was quite possibly the best delivered line I've heard so far (yes, even beating out "Hello, Dexter Morgan").

Michael C. Hall is awesome. I loved the way he played out the scene with Dexter and Lumen killing of the security guy. He was actually giddy with excitement.

As for the post above mine: I really hope they don't kill of Lumen. Mostly because they've shown they have absolutely no problem killing off characters (aside from all the serial killers: Lundy and Rita) and I kind of expect them to.

12. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

my bad. I was super drunk when I wrote that so didn't verify

13. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hope they don't kill off Lumen. I really like the dynamic between her and Dexter. I could see them using her in season 6, which I think there definitely will be.

14. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Holy fucking shit. I'm not gonna spoil anything, and I'm sure some of you have seen it, but the next episode looks like it's gonna be freakin nuts!

This season could end up being the second best out of them all.

Also, I'm pretty sure Liddy is gonna die.

15. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm curious how Quinn is going to respond to Debra dumping him. Either he tries to get her back and make nice, or Deb buries him and he gets revenge by sending Dexter to death row. If it's the latter, I can't see how Dexter gets out of that particular situation, especially since Quinn and Liddy haven't killed anybody.

Consider this scenario. After Dexter kills off Jordon Chase (and he will) Liddy and Quinn have Dexter dead to rights. Lumen, either through some kind of affection or as a way of saying "thank you", kills them both without Dexter's knowledge. Dexter now faces the choice of either killing Lumen to satisfy The Code (the killing of those that would kill an innocent) and tying that particular loose end, or starting a long term romance with her. Either way, the series still has the option of continuing (which honestly, I don't want to see happen) or it ends with Dexter as a fulfilled family man with a wife that understands and endorses what he does.

Either way, Quinn is the linchpin of the season now. I can't wait for Sunday.

16. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Or Lumen kills Jordan and takes the fall for the vigilante killings, or gets caught by Jordan and gets accused of the other killings and because Dexter saved her she takes the fall, and Dexter kills Liddy and Jordan.

17. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like how The enemy is now an incredibly wealthy foe. He has had Doakes, Jimmy Smits (who represented the Powerful enemy,) Trinity of course who was almost Dexters equal, now an incredibly wealthy man with an army of security.

I do hope that someday they get back to just Dexter hunting and killing but I don't see that happening.

I think it will be easy to get Liddy on the table with a little digging he is a total creep, he also sounds like Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs. Quinn also probably has some serious dirt on him and a body in his past wouldn't shock me. Remember that terrible, awful little Asian IA who was around two seasons ago? (or last season I can't remember) She made it known Quinn has a not so perfect past.

18. PenetrationStation

PenetrationStation
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Wow, totally misread Dexter's emotions in last night's episode:

I really thought that intense look he was giving Lumen as they were practicing and then committing the murder was one of admiration or excitement for the student, like a master-adept archetypical thing. On reviewing it, there's a distinctly sexual element to their interaction. Although Stiles does a good job of selling her attraction to him as as an "awakening" near the end of the episode. Oh well. Nice twist, more tits.

19. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Welp, after this episode, it's clear I should shut the fuck up and just watch.

20. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I fucking love where this season is going, and fuck everyone who says it can't compare to last season.

It's a whole new list of issues, and I love it. Dex said in a voiceover something about how, and I'm paraphrasing, "I'm used to hunting solo, not as a pair, but with Lumen it just feels..." And I said "Natural" about a second before he did.

I've gone from hating that character three episodes ago when she was just a needy bitch, to loving her and wanting her to be able to stay with Dex.

She can be the girlfriend and confidante that Rita never was because she not only knows his Dark Passenger, she's participated.

Also, I think we can finally dispell the myth of Dexter being a psycopath without any feelings. It's been clear from the beginning that he has at least SOME feelings, but this season, he's been breaking down the fact that he's been ignoring the feelings he did have because that's how Harry trained him.

I hope Julia Stiles sticks around for any possible seasons there are. The voiceover was right. Them hunting together does feel natural. The iffy part will come when they're hunting someone who wasn't a part of Lumen's rape/torture. I think that would be fertile ground, seeing/participating in murders she doesn't have a personal stake in.

And HEY! Julia Stiles. Take off your fucking shirt for a love scene, will you? It's pay cable. Give us our money's worth with your A-Cup (which I would worship if I were with her in real life, I've always found Stiles hot as shit).