Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Death and Dying

Discussion in 'New Thread Suggestions' started by downndirty, Nov 23, 2023.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On Monday, my mom passed away after an extended set of health issues. Her health was always precarious, and going back to 2006 when she had her first bout with breast cancer, it was always top of mind.

She was 67. It feels very young to lose a parent to "natural causes". She had two hip replacements, COPB, Covid, colitis, on and on. She had a major lung surgery in 2014 that we didn't expect her to survive, and I'm trying to view the previous 9 years as a gift.

Her services are tomorrow.

This whole process has been a blur, and it's been so bizarre and surreal.

The upending of a life is just something that I think we don't talk enough about, and God knows had we been more prepared, it might save us some $ and some heartache, but also help get us all to peace more quickly.

FOCUS: Death and dying.

One thing I'm very grateful for is my family's presence in the church, because that meant the funeral services were fairly cheap ($4500), straightforward and as far as planning, painless.

Also, we are adrift in a river of sympathy chicken and grief cheese.

I'm genuinely curious about her medical debts, because my assumption is the dead can't pay for shit. My folks are still married, but we'll see how it goes.

2. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Damn I’m sorry for your loss.