Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Can someone help me with this?

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by sublime, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Found this that might help explain some of the forces at work:

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I ordered a cheap, hard felt hat from Amazon for my Halloween costume. But, it had a cloth band around it like a Fedora, that I don't need. I assumed it was tacked in place and I cut just cut it off. It was glued all the way around with a thin bead. I pulled it off with no problem, but about half the glue stayed behind. Is there a solvent that I might could use that wouldn't damage the felt? I don't really care if it damages it a little, like if it's pricked up or whatever - I can brush it back down. But, I don't want it to be totally discolored. (The hat is kind of a light coffee color.) Would something simple like mineral spirits work? The glue didn't dry clear like a hot glue, and it didn't totally set bond with the felt, almost like it is water-based.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Try a waterless citrus hand cleaner or soak it in warm water. Works well for getting felt glued to wood unglued.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The citrus cleaner wasn't really doing anything. I don't think warm water and felt go well together, so I didn't want to try that. I ended up used Ronsonol lighter fluid, because it's great for getting sticky residue off of things (and getting small stains of a tie, but I digress). Anyway, once I double soaked it, it pretty much turned to a sticky goo that I was able to pick off. Ran over it with a lint roller to get the rest of the residue, and brushed it with one of those brushes like for a pool table. Worked pretty good.

I'm not sure exactly what the "pretroleum distillate" is in it - it used to be Naptha, like dry cleaners use. The new bottles don't say "naptha" anymore, but seems to work the same.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nice... I've also heard you can coat it in Vaseline and it breaks down some glues.

The thing about glues is that there are so many different types that all have totally different chemistry that it's hard to find a common means of handling them.

It's like trying to glue/weld plastic... I've gone through about 8 different plastic glues before I found one that would repair a plastic hinge pin in my fridge that snapped off. CA glue wouldn't touch it, JB Weld for Plastic wouldn't work... and on and on, until finally I found some crazy Dow special blend that did a great job... but the tube was about $50 (it was in their professional aviation lineup of chemicals), but I'll be damned if it didn't work like a charm.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've used warm water to remove the felt lining from the drawers in an old wooden toolbox, and the felt remained intact and was just fine after it dried out... it just broke down the glue (which I think was a hide glue) and I could peel out the felt in a single piece.

7. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can somebody smart please help settle an argument between Jungle Julia and I?

Is it true that the more people using WiFi from a given router slows down their streaming speeds? Ie: the more people using WiFi in the house, the worse the internet performance, sort of like if bandwidth was water in a pipe coming into a house, and the more faucets, showers, etc. you have on, the less water pressure you have.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Absolutely.

Think if it like a water hose... it has a finite volume of water it will flow.

GENERALLY speaking, you can think of it like this (assuming theoretical identical usage at the same time):
    If you have a single user, then it's at full strength "flow"
    If you have 10 people using it at the same time in the same way, then each flow will be 1/10th of the total.
    If you have 100 people using it at the same time in the same way, then each flow will be 1/100th of the total.

Couple of points (where it gets real/detailed/complex)
    • the more people using it, the more likely you are to slow down everyone as a whole due to the increased amount of work the shitty wifi router has to do in order to manage all the users
    • surfing the net is not constant use like streaming, so odds are the throttling/bad performance will not be consistent depending on the number of users.
    • different wifi radio strength for each connection will have an effect on overall performance.
    • lots of people will create wifi "confusion" and slow everyone down, and decrease overall performance (latency, etc)
    • lots more stuff

9. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

THANK YOU, NETT.

Jesus H. Christ, this has been bothering me for a long time.

Here's the situation: We'll be streaming a movie, when JJ decides to take out her tablet or her phone, and then, wouldn't you know it, THE MOVIE STARTS FUCKING BUFFERING.

Proceed to me getting pissed off, and her denying that it's her device, that it must be the website, or my computer. But as soon as she puts the device away, it stops buffering.
    WHAT A COINCIDENCE!

I knew that WiFi didn't equal unlimited access for everyone.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

On top of that, you may have just barely enough bandwidth to support your Netflix show at the quality that it's showing. Netflix is pretty smart in that it will detect what your network's abilities are and adjust the amount that it buffers, the quality that it's showing, and other things, to give you the best viewing experience possible.

When JJ does her thing (with the tablet), that may be just enough to starve Netflix the bandwidth that it was just using and needed. It's kind of like starving an engine of gas... if you put a fuel pump on a powerful engine that only serves up half the gas, the engine will still run, but run like shit. In the case of Netflix, because it's just software, they can basically change what engine they're using on the fly so it won't use as much gas, so will switch to the best engine that it can that will run with whatever gas flow you're feeding it. This means It will then take a bit of time, re-analyze shit, then adjust your Netflix app's settings to have new buffer amounts, video quality, etc, as a result. (higher video quality means way, way more data, which requires way way more bandwidth). That's what is happening when you see "buffering".

11. Nmw20

Nmw20
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Car question, for the past couple of weeks my radio will stop working, clock display everything when I hit the gas, the fan has also been blowing about half power. Last night the car wouldn’t start even though the power locks, interior lights and everything were fine. I got a boost and made it home but my lights were very dim. Any ideas what it could be?

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think it’s something electrical.

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sounds likely that you need a new alternator. Probably looking at $500 or so depending on the car you have.

That's my best guess based on what you posted, but really dude, why the fuck aren't you bringing it to a shop if you are having issues like this? At the least bring it to a parts store. What you're describing sounds like a near total failure and I would bet a simple computer scan or code reader is going to identify it right away. Napa, autozone, etc will do that for free.

14. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, the shared area between mine and my neighbor's house is basically a swampland. A couple of reasons for that is because this year I had a new patio put in and that's the area they used to get all the equipment back and forth, so the ground got all tore up. The contractors put in new topsoil and grass seed when they were done, but it hasn't fully settled. The other main problem is that my neighbor's gutter on that side of her house is hanging on by a thread, so it's always spilling over into that part of the yard. I also don't think that part of the property has ever been properly graded to allow for proper draining.

My question is, other than waiting until spring and just throwing down a shit ton of new topsoil and trying to self compact it, is there anything I can do to make that area less prone to constant water pooling?

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I don't know, man... I'm not so sure a bit of topsoil will help what you've described. If the equipment packed down the topsoil, you've now got less drainage (due to the compaction), as well as sloping issues.

Hopefully a bit of topsoil does the trick, but worst case I'd look at something like a French Drain to get some real/proper drainage out of the area. Especially if it's between your houses, because that's just more water around your respective foundations.

16. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I should have added, that while they did put down new topsoil after the construction, it wasn't to the level that was there previously, so it actually created a bit more of a valley than was already there, so the sloping (or lack thereof) is definitely an issue. I need to put down more topsoil to at least get it back up to level regardless, just wasn't sure if there was anything else I could try while I'm doing that.

I'll definitely look into the drain option though.

17. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

17-18 volts is WAY too much. That can damage your electronics and fry your battery.
    Most manufacturers recommend around 13.5-14.5 while running, though there are some minor exceptions.

I agree with everyone's advice so far, but I want to add this: check/ clean your battery terminals. I've seen something as simple as dirty terminals cause all kinds of weird issues in cars.

18. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I will second that 17 volts means a bad regulator. Most I have seen are around 14 to 14.4 volts but Dixie would know more then me.

19. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Definitely try what Dixie said. It's worth a shot. If it is the battery that's a way cheaper/easier fix so might as well try that first, but if your lights are going to dim while you're driving that's a pretty bad sign.

20. Nmw20

Nmw20
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Changed out the battery and have had no issues so far. Put about 1200 km on it in the last week, so hopefully I’m good.