Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Can I maybe, get that back?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by carpenter, Nov 14, 2009.

1. carpenter

carpenter
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Sweden will return 22 skulls to native Hawaiians.
    Associated Press

STOCKHOLM — Sweden is returning 22 skulls taken from a native Hawaiian community at a solemn ceremony at Stockholm's Museum of National Antiquities.
    Advertisement

Museum spokeswoman Ulrika Mannberg says Saturday's hand-over will be attended by around 30 special guests, including representatives of the Group Caring for Ancestors of Hawaii and the Nordic countries' own indigenous Sami population.

Five skulls are being returned by the museum, to which they were donated in 1997. They were brought to Sweden by a Swedish scientist in the 1880s after he took part in a trip around the world. They are believed to have been taken from a Hawaiian burial cave.

The other 17 skulls are being returned by Stockholm's medical university Karolinska Institutet.

Focus: (I'm sure stuff like this happens all the time.) Have you ever gotten something back that you thought was lost forever?

Alternate Focus: Have you ever gotten something back that you wished was lost forever?

2. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Another from deep in the archives.

I'll add:

ALT ALT FOCUS: Did you ever get anything taken away by a teacher to be given back "at the end of the year?" Did you ever actually get it back?

3. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

There should be a whole thread dedicated to things you lost due to relationships folding or one night stands where they run off with your shit. I had a one night stand where a girl wore one of my favorite boxing tees afterwards and she went home in it and I never saw it again. Its a shirt that isnt even printed anywhere, I could have only grabbed it at the actual fight. Fuck!

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This happened to me in third grade. I had one of those long retractable eraser things that mathematicians or architects use. It made a clicking sound when you clicked it out and in, you could extend the eraser out the whole length of the pen like holder clicking the entire way. I had that ADHD habit of clicking it rapidly and not even really noticing (why this pen clicking thing is so psychologically satisfying Ill never know). At one point my teacher, with out prior warning, snapped and grabbed it from my hand. She informed me that Id get it back at the end of the year.

True to her word she called me to her desk on the last day of school and handed it back to me. She had a whole desk full of pens with notes on them telling her who the owner was. Kind of odd but she was a really cool teacher, the type that liberally distributed candy for correct answers. Later on that day she gave me half of the left over mondo pixie stix she had and a bag full of Starburst.

5. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

I plan to donate my body to science. But when you do that here, there's a really pretentious 'Ceremony of Return' and the local big med school. They all act really serious and pretend that cadavers are never taken to rugby matches, nervous systems are never mailed to the dean, nobody plays table tennis with testicles, and nobody shoves a cold cadaver's hands up anyone's skirt or throw removed organs at annoying classmates. I know of all of those things being done by my friends in the last 10 years.

So I plan to specify in my will that I make my donation on the condition that should a cadaver be taken to a rugby game at any point during the faculty's use of my body, it be my body. Should a nervous system be mailed to the dean, etc. And then fuck it, keep the skeleton and skip the stupid pretentious ceremony.

6. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I left a D12 CD when I was in grade 7 with my French teacher when I had to go to an assembly, who forgot I did so.

7. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: My wife and kids.

Alt. Focus: 30 lbs.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Not really on focus, but my mom gave me her old vacuum cleaner (in great condition, that sucker was awesome) and then told me to give it back about a year later when her other vacuum broke. I called her an Indian Giver. She didn't care.

I want my vacuum back so I can have my domestic bliss. SHE TOOK AWAY MY DOMESTIC BLISS! Awful.

9. jrussellmikkelsen

jrussellmikkelsen
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Incredibly, three days ago I found two rings and a bracelet I lost four years ago. I was sure they were gone forever and hadn't made an effort to look for them since I moved apartments over 3 years ago. That apartment was in Norway.

I used to wear the rings every day, one was a sentimental gift and the other was something I picked up in my travels, along with the bracelet. I was always careful with them and then one day they were gone. I figured they were either somewhere in the apartment or I had left them on the beach the week earlier. I looked for them but they didn't turn up.

Soon after my land lord assaulted me so I packed up and moved within 8 hours. They didn't appear while I packed so I figured that was the end of my jewelry collection.

Friday, I was looking for an attachment to my electric razor and searched through my travel toiletries bag, where I keep all the crap that came with my razor. There are a couple side pockets to the bag that I never ever use for anything ever. But I decided to check them after I couldn't find the attachment and low and behold: my long lost rings and bracelet.

I told my girlfriend the story, all excited. It felt like finding buried treasure! She goes, "What? You didn't know they were there? I noticed those like 8 months ago, at least. You don't seem like the ring-wearing type so I thought you just kept them there."

10. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Recently found $200 cash in a book I started re-reading, I had put it in there about 3 years ago and then forgotten about it.

11. misnomer

misnomer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

My friend R from the countryside was on a long train ride back home years ago, from his boarding school for the holidays. He and his mate were punching cones, taking turns to go in the carriage bathroom. When one finished, he'd put the bong back into a rubbish bin in the wall along with the weed (not IN the bin but there was a space in and around out of sight to put it), so the other could come in and take his turn.

Well, his friend gets off at his stop and R must've lost track of time or was just too high, because he's in his dad's car on the way home from the station when he realises he's left $150 worth of weed along with the bong and shit on that train! He was kicking himself for the next few days.

2 weeks later, the holidays are up, he's on the train back to school. He's bored, not doing anything. Goes to the toilet. What the hell, he checks the bin compartment.

It's fucking there. Untouched.

Cosmic justice.