Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

But Seriously...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It never should be. Unfortunately for dumb people, it almost always is. Being a commendable person and rich does not qualify her for jack shit. Trump is a dickhead and rich and he wasnt qualified either. Ironically, in 2020 he will be far more qualified (on paper) just purely based on the fact that he's the incumbent (if he lasts that long). Christ, I loath Elizabeth Warren, but I would much rather have her over Oprah.

The attitude of, "well fuck it, Trump got elected so why not?" is absurd.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

No, I don't.

That's like saying, "well, you like to have dinner parties, you should open a restaurant..." ALL of those fail, because it's not at all the same thing.

I want to have someone who is experienced in politics and governing at the helm, not someone learning it as they go.

3. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Part of her point was that there aren't more female directors in the first place, a fact which is obviously going to trickle down to the awards process.

Why shouldn't celebrities have opinions? They're given a platform, people are paying attention to them, pretending like they should just make anodyne non-statements so the cash train keeps rolling in seems silly, particularly now.

Oprah should not be president. There are perhaps 8 million different steps between "never held public office of any kind" and "in charge of the full nuclear arsenal" that people should you know, look into. I don't trust anybody that only wants to help if they can be in charge.

4. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Donald J. Trump is the President of the United States. Nothing is absurd anymore.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

7. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Yes, this is a particularly stupid opinion held by a number of very strident people. I just don't think the answer is "celebrities shouldn't have opinions or support causes." Rather, it's that we should put those opinions in context, and that they should be reported on responsibly.

Particularly when it comes to sexism in Hollywood. Why not call it out? Who is better equipped to call it out than women in Hollywood?

8. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Ok, I'm pretty sure that Tila Tequila and B.o.B. both have some sort of actual mental illness, which I think puts them in a different category of interview. Also, if anybody is getting advice from Tila Tequila in 2018 I'm pretty sure they weren't exactly a scientist before.

Kyrie was just clumsily trying to make a point about media narratives and skepticism.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So now you're saying that YOU get to decide what celebrity opinions are worth expressing, and which ones aren't?

And why would we give a shit about women Directors in Hollywood? I'm neither a woman, nor in Hollywood, and it's not like it's some humanitarian endeavour.

My point is that I don't give a fuck about any Hollywood celebrity's opinion... I don't care if they have a platform or not, I don't want to hear it, never mind have it broadcast from a special-access platform for the "beautiful people".

It'll be interesting to see how the results of this years Golden Globes go down... as my Mom has been a huge follower for years, and this year, "meh, I'm done with them... they're all just a bunch of self-serving blowhards".

10. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So the powerful women in Hollywood have money and power, so they should just fix the problems facing all women in Hollywood, but they should do it without having public opinions or using the platform they've been given as celebrities. Also having the opinion of "sexually harassing women is bad" or "Hollywood is a rich old white man's club and it's time to give women and people of color more opportunity" is now equivalent to dismissing science believing that the earth is flat and that vaccines cause autism?

Cool.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Sure, thats something directly affects them and could be seen as a microcosm for a larger problem affecting multiple industries, by all means be the spokesperson for the better world. But theres a fallacy that many people have where they hold celebrity opinions in higher regard than some no-name person that knows what their talking about and some celebrities might as well. Which is why they'll believe Jenny McCarthy regarding vaccinations versus the head of the American Medical Association or CDC. Thats not the fault of the celebrities, but I agree that contextual value is important.

12. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Where did I say that? I said that celebrities should have the right to express their opinions, just like everybody else. And just like everybody else, they should not be expressing anti-vaccination opinions.

If you're asking whether I think good opinions are better than bad opinions, well, you got me. I also like it better when celebrities donate to charities that provide clean water than when they donate to ones that set puppies on fire. I'm wild like that.

Care about whatever you want to care about, man. Clearly a lot of people care about representation, otherwise it wouldn't be a big deal. The fact that you personally don't care is more or less immaterial here.

This would be true whether or not they were calling out sexism. If you're looking for people to not be self-important, maybe the giant lavish party where rich people give themselves awards is not that programming choice for you anyway.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That shit is too funny for the Serious Thread. I mean COME ON...

EA67BE28-96F8-4DB0-B46A-453C8BBF97A0.jpeg

...that was his rebuttal while arguing with Black Science Guy. And he started a GoFundMe to help prove the earth is flat.

We need to start a GoFundMe. Using the funds, each of these assholes will get put in an SR-71 with an Air Force badass and proven wrong. Then WE get a ride afterwards too, because we raised the money and that would be just awesome.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I think it’s hilarious that if they oh-so want a female candidate they would choose a pretentious talk show host over someone like Tulsi Gabbard who is an accomplished politician, critical thinker, and a decorated combat vet. And she surfs. And she’s a Hindu, which demonstrates progression in their eyes. Hollywood can fuck off. They have too many of their own snakes to stomp to be fucking with the rest of America.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have to agree with Nom on this. Stupid people expressing stupid opinions is pretty much all across the populace. It makes sense that they would be found among Hollywood folks. I cannot stand Meryl Streep and generally skip forward or leave the room whenever she starts flapping her self-important gums. But, she has been given a microphone and is taking the opportunity to express her opinions. It certainly hurts the veiwership, though, but that's the consequence of a free market.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I just feel like there should be more care taken when exposing everyone to stupid, yet popular and influential people, because that has repercussions, especially in these new times of "my opinions matters, and carry equal weight compared to everyone else's".

And yeah, I'm also getting burnt out on causes... everyone has a cause these days... whether it's "rescuing" a dog, or the elimination of the Brazilian Water Beetle due to deforestation... it's just fucking annoying, especially when so much of it is for posturing, and not actually getting shit done.

17. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was talking about Gabbard earlier today with a friend of mine. I think she would be a great option if the dems just propped her up a little more. She doesn't spend a lot of time on TV and her position on Syrian interference is somewhat controversial.

The problem is that anyone who can give a good speech is automatically told to run for office. I don't care if Oprah came from humble upbringings and now she's a billionaire. The office of the presidency needs to actually mean something again instead of just trying to fill it with someone who makes us feel good. I'd be more in favor of her running for senate somewhere to unseat a republican or something and get some legislative experience. Putting people like Oprah and Trump into office tells me that we don't care how qualified a person can be as long as they can tell a story that a lot of people can identify with. Americans don't care about these people's resume. They want someone who looks the part. Picture Oprah in the situation room during the Bin Laden raid. You think Oprah wants to get woken up at 3 am with a national security emergency?

Instead of saying that nothing matters anymore because Trump is president, therefore we can put up any person, lets raise the bar more and find a charismatic candidate who is ALSO qualified beyond being at last 35 years old and a natural born citizen. There's gotta be someone who isn't a complete shithead out there who can effectively govern.

18. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

B.o.B.'s geography is weak too. Those "cities" are just different parts of Atlanta - downtown on the left and Buckhead on the right. They're about 7-8 miles apart, not 16.

And the difference between the theoretical curve of the earth and a straight line at that distance is roughly 11 feet.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There isn't. You know that old joke about "it doesn't matter how beautiful a woman is. Somebody, somewhere is sick of her shit." This is true for politics, too. Neither Barrack Obama nor Mitt Romney are complete shitheads, but try getting the opposition party to admit that during an election.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

#8280 Crown Royal, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018