Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Big Love

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Pinkcup, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Season Four of HBO's always awesome Big Love is starting back up on January 10th. Discuss.

#1 Pinkcup, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. lugmastro

lugmastro
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Immersed in a culture devoid of human intelligence
    I tried to get into the show and actually watched most of the first season. Just never found the characters all that intriguing, nor could I find a commonality with them. What man could really deal with all those kids? Or all of that estrogen? Not me there is no way. One woman at a time is more than enough for me.

3. Trifecta

Trifecta
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I felt the same way with Season 1. Seasons 2-3 were much better.

4. LindseyBluth

LindseyBluth
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I absolutely LOVE this show. I am really excited to see where they go this season without Roman (who was a great villain).

The first season, I was also thinking "God, why are these women putting themselves in this position?" and "Why the hell is this guy trying to take all this on?" But slowly they have revealed each person's motive, and I find each character's storyline extremely entertaining. I especially love anything to do with Juniper creek. It's fascinating.

5. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Last season ended with Nikki bringing her secret daughter (from her secret earlier marriage--in which she was SEALED to the dude!!) into Bill's mini-compound and they were both fairly well received by the family.

*Sidenote: I find Nikki's character to be extremely fascinating. Her loyalties are so tangled and multi-dimensional and that intrigues me.*

I want to know if Bill A) Will address the fact that she cheated on him with the prosecutorial lawyer in Roman's trial, B) Will accept this new daughter as part of the Hendrickson family--or try to send her away so as to not draw attention to his family? C) Kicks her ass to the curb. Personally, I think A and B are almost certain and C is quite possible.

Other than Nikki's storyline, I'm just generally excited about all of the other characters developments in general. From previews, I see that Bill contemplates running for Senate (stupid), Margie's QVC thing is going well (yay!), Sarah may be getting married (meh), and Alby hasn't lost his douchey tendencies (predictable). That's nice and all, but I think I know what we are all wondering.........

How much screen time will Lois get this season?!?!?!?

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Havent they already excepted her back? They had an apartment lined up but I dont think Bill wanted to go through with it (I might be mistaken it's been a while). If Bill becomes the head of the church it seems he'd be able to do anything really. My favorite parts have to be anything with Frank and Lois, they really never cleared up some serious shit after she tried to kill him, as well as crazy Wanda. This show has a real knack for weird crazy villains.

I was fucking thrilled when I saw a preview on a friends HBO, this for me, is the spiritual successor of the Sopranos (each being an hour long HBO family dramas).

7. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think we are going to get a lot of JJ this season. That guy is a total creep. Bill should just let him take Nikki however it would save him ton's of stress!

8. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The previews for this season seem... ridiculous.

Bill is fighting to become the spiritual leader of the church. Bill is running for State Senate. Bill is warring with the Assistant DA who know what Bill is all about.

I know some of the stuff they show is purposely misleading but it's unbelievable that he could do all of this and still fly under the radar. Couldn't happen, especially nowadays.

Still looking forward to this Trueblood and Breaking Bad starting back up.

9. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The first episode was bad. Really bad.

They're trying to pack too much into a single episode and need to go back to each episode focusing on 1-2 family members max.

Something was just off with the way the story came together. It felt really forced.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

While not a strong start it did feel like a later in the season episode with the amount of suspense and tension thrown in. I agree with you completely that they tried to pack too much into a single episode. Barb's whole story should have been expounded on in more detail since I had a sense that they wanted it to be a powerful moment for her character but it was shoved in the middle of other heavy material. Anyone else feel that Ben's band is another one of the shows dark sense of humor in an over the top outrageous way? Sort of like how Don can be counted on for having some over the top polygamist lines?

If anything felt off it was the change up in opening music. What a bummer, I had made the connection with hearing that song and anticipating seeing the show much like The Soprano's opening song, what ever the reason for changing it I think it's dumb.

11. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah. I had a few issues with this episode. Don't get me wrong--there were a few genuinely hilarious moments ("Lois....what the fuck is with all the birds?", Barb's face when Sarah mentioned the UCC, "I JUST WANT BACON!!!!! LET ME MAKE YOU A BLT!!!") but the majority of the episode was a "catch-up". And I fucking hate those. But I couldn't realistically expect this episode to be any different given the long hiatus since last season, so whatever.

The opening sequence pissed me off, though. I get it--they're falling into "Outer Darkness" which is what the Mormons think of as Hell. But it still sucked. Biggest letdown of the whole episode.

All of this brings me to.....The Hat. Awesome way to end the episode, no? That could literally go in so many directions that it truly isn't worth discussing. But it looks like Albie is going to be a bigger pain in Bill's ass than Roman ever was, so I'm down with that.

12. fourtytwo

fourtytwo
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

It's very obviously what the first episode did wrong.

One thing I liked, though -- and this was true for the previous season as well -- was that they do a good job with the soundtrack. I think the music, even just the filler music, is perfect a lot of the time.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's probably the fact that they have David Byrne on the job.

14. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How on earth did nobody post about Ben's christian rock band? Or his performance in general? I definitely thought that he was not singing after his first passionate performance, although it may have been him cranking out the gambler.

It looks like Margie is moving towards a much more prominent and powerful role in this family, she has become very self assured.

p.s. Is it just me or is Nikki's daughter hot?

15. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think she is a better-looking version of Anna Pacquin.

My thoughts on tonights episode:

--Bill is getting on my last fucking nerve. Don Emberly needs to call him on the carpet for equating his own wants with a revelation--that selfish bastard literally told his family that he didn't give a fuck if they all got arrested/thrown in jail...by golly, he's going to run for Senate! I hope something horrible happens to him. Really.

-- Nikki needs to leave. Poor dear...I know it's a little late in life to come to the realization that your whole life is a sham and you desperately want to have a meaningful relationship of your choosing, but better late than never.

--I call it now: Barb and that Indian guy (also sometimes appears in Law and Order: SVU) are going to have mad sexual tension by the end of this season.

--Alby fell in love..........and I was touched! I must be touched in the head.

16. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The creepiness that Alby brings to the screen is legendary. I really can't think of anything else to post because of that scene, it frightened me.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah Bill seems to have no end to the amount of shit he is willing to put him and his family through. A fucking Senate race? I'd think it'd be a huge stretch if somehow he made it through the race without any of the dozens of fucked up things going on in his life coming out. His accountant fucking Alby? His brother murdering Roman? The fact that he is a major partner in a gambling organization (which I thought was a major taboo if not an outright sin for people in his church)? Not to mention the ravenous hoards of national media scheisters he'd be bringing down on his family once he revealed the truth. This is definitely my least favorite storyline so far in this season.

I have to say though that I really do like how Margene has grown into a savvy confident business woman while Barb has suddenly fallen into a pit of uncertainty with herself. I am also very curious on what is going to happen with JJ and Wanda/Joey. That guy is a complete skeeze and he seems more dangerous than Alby at this point...

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well so much for the Margene becoming a confident woman storyline. I really really don't want to see another plot line involving her and Ben romantically (even if Bens standing up to Jay Jay was commanding). Same goes with Sarah and the Meth Head Indian girl, everything that girl does seems like a waste of damn time.

On the other hand Jay Jay seems to be no end in unhinged loonieness. I am surprised Wanda hasnt tried to kill him yet...

19. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

JJ is an even better villian than Roman is. Seriously, he creeps me out in every scene. I hope he sticks around for a while.

What was the deal with Alby taking the picture? Was it just some type of lovey-dovey basking in the afterglow like a smitten teenager gesture or part of some bigger, sinister plan? Maybe I missed something.

20. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree with this entirely. There is enough going on without having to deal with the whole Ben-Margie thing again.....stupid. Also, Barb should just...... I don't know tell her daughter to make sure she stays away from the drug addict criminal, and seeing her daughter is an adult tell her why.

Alby's intense passionate gay scenes are a tad unnerving, if I was a good looking gay dude I would go nowhere near Alby. Did you see his "bird watching" outfit? He looked like Don Knotts.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://images.google.com/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&q=Don+Knotts&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=WCdfS8XnF4Lp8QaqlbGUDA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CC0QsAQwAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://images.google.com/images?client= ... CC0QsAQwAw</a>

People may think he took the picture for a bribe but that would harm him much more negatively, he would lose all status. I generally think he is in love with the guy.

JJ is creepy, Sissy Spacek is a total bitch, Bill Hedrikson has the worst life of any fictional character I can think of off hand.