Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2016 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by shegirl, Jul 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

It's getting close. I did not know until today that the HoF game is the Packers and the Colts. Or maybe I blocked it out.

My NFL package is costing me through the nose this year but worth every penny.

Anyway, we're in the home stretch.

2. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll still be on the road when the season kicks off, and my internet connections aren't typically reliable enough to make NFL GameDay worth the investment. I won't be watching games until Christmas.

On one hand, I'm a little sad because I love football. And I'm excited to see what Tyrod Taylor does in his second real season.

On the other hand, I just arrived in Lithuania and kicked off my visit with pastrami that took 9 days to prepare, and local beer. So fuck it.

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

5. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. The turf for the field was an extra one leftover from the Sugar Bowl. Why not just play the game an hour up the road, at an actual NFL stadium, in Cleveland?

7. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  8. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

9. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On one hand, if I was him and I could do it, why not?

On the other, why are these teams even dignifying his phone calls?

10. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Someone will sign him to AA ball because he's Tim Tebow. He will quit within two months, because the life of a minor leaguer is not the life of an NFL Quarterback, and he should stick to being good looking on camera as an analyst.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe he just wants to play ball. After I heard this story, if you gave me a hundred guesses as to who ESPN would be interviewing about Tebow's swing, and that person would be supporting and encouraging Tebow, I don't think I'd have come up with Gary Sheffield. And, to answer cowbell's question, they're taking his calls because they want to sell tickets. I know one thing: dude may have some quick hands, but that's a mighty wide stance.
    https://twitter.com/BeauBishop/status/763033900163670016

12. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tyrod Taylor signed a 6-year, $90m contract. Sounds like it's easy for the Bills to get out of in years 1 & 2, yet if Taylor performs they're getting a franchise QB for $15m/yr. Taylor gets a guarantee for injury and a raise and the potential for a real long term deal.

Good deal all around - some sensible risks on both sides.

13. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Just my .02 here, but yeah. That wide stance is helping make him quicker to the ball. He's probably hitting against an 80 mph machine and that stance isn't going to fly against an actual 95 mph fastball and it's going to be fucked against slower breaking stuff. Not to mention that with that short stride he's relying completely on his upper body for any power he generates.

A ball at best. He'll be screwed against guys that can change speeds.

14. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it's a good deal. Taylor's had a few years to learn the NFL, but hasn't had a chance to prove himself yet. The only catch for the bills is that with the way players are these days, if Taylor really performs he'll demand to renegotiate the contract or sit out. Regardless, the bills would probably be happy to pay it if he pans out.

15. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, if he lights the world on fire, he may want more money (though the word is that some difficult-to-earn incentives are in the contract and are worth a bunch of money). But, as you said, the Bills would be pleased to find themselves in that situation.

The bigger worry isn't even a bust, because then you cut him and move on. The real worry is what you do with a guy like Brock Osweiler, who you're paying $18-19m/year to, if he's mediocre. Not bad enough to cut, but not good enough to justify his paycheck.

I'm much more comfortable with a mediocre QB and an extra $3-4m/year to spend elsewhere.

Edit: also some irony in the fact that Cardale Jones looked much better than anticipated during preseason. Not that preseason games tell you much, but his accuracy and anticipation was a lot better than expected.

16. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm a believer in Cardale Jones. He didn't look great last year, but I put most of that blame on the Ohio State playcalling, which was absolute dogshit last year.

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

18. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sharper gets 18 years for multiple counts of rape. Apparently he was still doing it while under investigation. Considering celebrities hardly ever get a reasonable sentence this was refreshing to see. Also seemed like a case where a near maximum penalty was actually merited as well.

To show how closely I've been following the news this off season, I didn't even know Calvin Johnson had retired. He was either one of those absurdly talented guys who had no passion for the game or just wanted to make sure his knees held up. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. He was still in his prime and was poised to go down as one of the all time greats.

Terrell Owens not making it into the hall of fame on the first ballot is nuts. I don't like the guy. In fact, I despise him, but he's one of the top five, possibly top 3 at his position ever. If they're keeping people out because they're cunts, why not block Favre too? Less of a locker room dysfunction and more of just an all around douchebag? Uh ok. It should be about what you did on the field, and by that metric TO clearly gets in.

19. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Funny how this keeps happening to the Lions.

20. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He was sick of the grind, he'd had multiple nagging injuries, and I think he wanted to make sure he could walk and function later in life. He made $120MM or so in his career, plus endorsements. He's a smart dude from what Ive seen and read. He's just ready to move on, more people would probably make a similar choice if not for money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.