Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Say that again?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I just ran across this news story on the BBC:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11054376" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11054376</a>

Awesome! It's always a good heart-warming thing when you hear about people surviving stuff like this. Being a miner is something that I just could not do... ever. I'm not claustrophobic or anything, but the risks just don't seem worth the rewards to me.

But that's not the part of the story that has me thinking "you've GOT to be kidding".

This is:

That's right... MONTHS. They estimate 120 days, assuming they get bigger/better mining equipment.

Forget the "limited access to food", we're talking about 33 miners in a small shelter the size of an apartment, for 120 days.

(somewhat morbid) FOCUS: Do they make it, or not? What do you think the end results will be? If you were there, what would you do to survive? How do you think you'd react? What do you think would transpire?

ALT-FOCUS: Share any experiences you have of being trapped in an undesirable situation.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I say no way they ALL make it.

This is the kind of deep-space travel scenario that NASA sets up and tests with carefully screened test subjects, that have been picked for their compatibility.

I totally envision at least a few of them going full-on stark-raving mad, a few of them being seriously injured or killed, and the vast majority of them being irreparably scarred.

There will not be a "happy ending" from this, rather a crap load of therapy.

I really hope I'm proven wrong, and the human spirit can be pretty remarkable sometimes, but the cynic in me says "no way".

3. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd start by peeing on things to mark my territory.

Wait. Maybe that's a bad idea.

4. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This is horrific, I bet these people get paid pennies and have to suffer things like this. Utterly awful.

It reminds me of my favourite irish folk song about a father who works himself to death as a miner so his son can go to school and escape poverty. Never fails to bring some water to my eyes.

#4 Solaris, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  5. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hopefully they have a hole that they can shit into that takes it away. Because 4 months of shit piling up from 33 guys in a small space would get pretty gross.

6. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sometimes I can't stand somebody just a party, and even then I can still make efforts to easily avoid them. Trapped in a mine where you're basically sitting on top of each other? That does sound dreadful.

I think the chronic snorer will be the first to go.

7. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No way somebody doesn't go nuts and try and strangle everyone. And how the fuck would it take 120 days to get them? I understand all the safety and not wanting to have everything collapse, but that seems ridiculous to me.

8. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    I give them 10 days before someone goes crazy and starts smearing shit on the walls like this guy:

#8 Danger Boy, Aug 22, 2010
  9. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pepe will regret eating all those twinkies and being the plumpest of them all.

10. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I've read enough stories of people persevering through hell and high water to think that, if people can get food to them, they'll be okay.

The knowledge that someone is working to get them out makes it pretty damn difficult to give up hope, especially if they stay in constant contact with the team outside that is working to get them out. Their families can probably send notes down and give them emotional support from the outside.

Yes, it sucks, but in all honesty it's probably better than most third-world prisons. The living conditions are probably similar, but they don't have to worry about abuse from inmates/guards and they know that their "sentence" is 3-4 months.

It's a pretty shitty situation, but people have lived through a lot worse. They will be fine. Their biggest concerns should be with the long-term health risks to their respiratory systems from spending that much time in a mine.

11. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If they have people sending them notes, that will really help, but with 30-some-odd people being stuck in something the size of a small apartment for months, the reality is that something is going to get bad. There's a few things that scare the fuck out of me with this:

- With that many people, that's a real small amount of actual space per person. You're going to go crazy.

- Food concerns, obviously.

- Disease. That place won't remain sanitary for long, disease will spread like wildfire after that.

- What are the odds that someone in there doesn't have a major health issue, or won't develop one before rescue? Unless they can get Joe Shitluck his heart meds, he might very well die. Then you have a dead body you have to deal with. See my disease concerns above.

I had one bad medical experience and I'm mentally fucked up from it. I can't even imagine the psychological damage created by being in that type of emergency shelter environment.

I feel really bad for everyone involved with that.

12. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

All I know is that no matter whether they get out or not, someone will make a shitty horror/psychological thriller movie based on a bunch of miners trapped in a small space for three months.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I bet it's in theatres before they get out of the mine.

14. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I got the main score right here.

#14 Decatur Dave, Aug 22, 2010
  15. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This sounds like my worst nightmare come to life. I imagine that only a few days would pass before I start looking for a really sharp rock to bash my head into. Fuck survival instinct, that would just suck too bad. I can't imagine that there aren't a couple of those 33 people that would feel the same way.

16. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't help thinking it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_party

If not that, then they will eventually get on each others nerves, and a few fistfights will come of it. If there are 30-some guys down there, I feel like at least one of them is going to die from cannibalism or at least be beaten to death.

17. Viking33

Viking33
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Couple questions:

1.) Will they get basic sanitation needs met through a tube or small hole drilled? 30 people and someone's going to need to shit in the next 4 months.

2.) Food. Gotta have it.

3.) Water. Should be number 1 priority. Can do a lot for sanitation with clean water and a hole.

4.) 30 dudes? Worst. Sword fight. Ever. Good luck gentlemen.

18. jrussellmikkelsen

jrussellmikkelsen
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

There is one thing all of you seemed to fail to consider. All the trapped men.... are miners! None of them, not one, is remotely claustrophobic. They do not freak out because of small confines. Aren't miners used to working in spaces with 4 foot ceilings?

I understand that the circumstances are terrible and they're trapped and it is a lot of people for on "apartment-sized" space, whatever that means. Small for New York or small for Atlanta or for Budapest? But the fact is, they probably spend 40-80 hours a week in refrigerator-box-sized spaces. If anyone can handle it, they can.

19. Viking33

Viking33
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Dude. No running water. Almost no food. 30 dudes. No place to shit or even jack off in private. For 120 days. Think about that for a second and then type. That's like saying you can stuff a bunch of hardened criminals in a VW Bug for a trip cross country with a couple sticks of beef jerky and a bottle to communally piss in. But it's cool- they're used to confined spaces.

No.

20. Thorgouge

Thorgouge
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Not to be an uncaring asshole, but that sounds like a great idea for a reality show. Let's put the cast of Jersey Shore in a mine shaft. Minus the food.