Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Upcoming Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Diogenes The Cynic, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I bet you have a work shirt that says “life needs more titties”.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's black, with the phrase embroidered in white on the pocket. Because, classy.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Titties… not just a job, but a life’s calling.

4. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't know anything about this going in - based on how this trail starts, it did not play out like I was expecting.

Garrett Dillahunt picks such great roles, that alone makes me inclined to think it's going to be really good.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Christ, Yorgos. Slow down.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nobody posted this yet? Looks fun. Seinfeld wrote and directed.

This cast is kind of bananas.

upload_2024-4-2_18-11-33.png

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wooo! Finally. I'm in this movie. I don't know if I'll make the final edit of the film, but I am not in the trailer.

9. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We'll be looking for you as we watch! We'll keep our eyes out for the older gentleman asking to see boobs.

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hey, who you calling a gentleman?!

11. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm just spreading joy and kindness, and lifting up a fellow human. If people don't like that they can fuck the fuckity fuck off!

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nothing in that trailer makes me want to see the film, which makes me think that some of the pre-release chatter is correct. I hope not. I'm surprised the run time is only 2 hrs 18 min, because that trailer gives the vibe that the finished work will be about 45 minutes too long. If they wanted to generate real interest with a teaser trailer, before Fishburne's voice over, it should have just said "From the Director of Apocalypse Now comes a new epic fable about creating your own future when you have the desire to do so." That teaser was cut by somebody who has no idea how to market a film - which means Coppola probably guided it himself, which means he's Kurtz, sadly lost in the jungle, and this will be a huge flop.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Trailers and teasers in general are mostly garbage now. They either reveal everything (a trend that seems to be GAINING popularity) or are edited by somebody who doesn’t want you to see the movie.

The spirit of the trailer seemed to die right along with Don LaFontaine. When we had him, trailers were as fun as movies themselves:

15. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Feels like Blade Runner meets Great Gatsby.

I'm in, even if it's a fucking mess. Coppola is one of the few left that could do something like this.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Which Coppola? The Coppola who made The Godfather and The Conversation; or the Coppola who made Jack?

17. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Either.

I hope I am reading this right in that there's no franchise, no sequels, no pandering, and the actors all seem to be the kind of crazy that is fun and unique to watch. I have a ton of respect for Driver and Esposito, and Shia is...well, he's bat shit crazy, but I don't think he is ruining anything I have seen him in. Hoffman, Voight, Fishburn are heavy weights that don't need this kind of project, and the female cast is nothing if not stupendous eye candy.

I am in, if for no other reason that this might be the once a decade Sci fi opus that is so bug fuck nuts that no one gets it for 5 years, and even then it's not clear if it's good (Cloud Atlas, Jupiter Ascending, 1984 Dune, John Carter, etc.).

Kubrick is dead, Spielberg isn't even trying anymore, Cameron is going to make "Ferngully but with video game graphics" sequels until the end of time, Nolan may not ever go back to sci-fi and Dune already got made (and they need to quit while they are ahead). I'd be game for Guillermo del Toro to take on something of this scale, or maybe Peter Jackson, but they won't. Scorsese can't do anything but crime, and Ridley Scott decided to do Gladiator 2, for fucks sakes.

Seriously, no one else could make something like this. It's going to be insane, one way or another.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He was good in The Peanut Butter Falcon and did so well that it's watchable despite Dakota Johnson being in it.

No one would. If you're the "greatest Director of all time" and you have to chip in $120 million of your own money (and it wasn't even to use some groundbreaking new technology), because it seems like the biggest turd idea? Then, the teaser trailer looks like it's the bigger turd idea? And on some days, the cast just sat in their trailer all day with no filming, because the Director smoked pot all day and never came out of his trailer? It's probably a turd.

I'm fine to see what Nolan brings next. Or George Miller. (we'll see how Furiosa is)

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The adaptation no one wants to do: Blood Meridian. Apparently there is one being made, but man, a Kubrick Blood Meridian would have been something.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it's been hard to get greenlit to stay true to the violence in the book. (I'm pretty sure there is a script) Too bad Brian DePalma is retired - I bet he could have adapted that well.