Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Wall

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Then Disney killed her off within 1 movie. Granted she did die in real life, BUT STILL.

2. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can we have the reverse Bechtel test where if a female character is inexplicably kicking the shit out of a dude that is double her size, it fails? Super powers notwithstanding, that is always something that irks me. Intergender fight, fine, whatever, but give me one frame of her taking off brass knuckles or some shit to make it believable that 110 lb. lady can somehow suplex a 250 lb. roided up linebacker.

The problem with Leia is the word "original", meaning they can't do that ever again, too risky, heebies AND the jeebies.

Star Wars has always been (ahem) entry-level in terms of complexity, world-building and narrative cohesion. The thick lore all came outside the main films in the form of comics, books, games, etc., and I'd venture the best stuff was produced during the lulls between the main films. There so much good shit out there right now, (the Dune films, Scavenger's Reign, Godzilla Minus One, just off the top of my head), the stuff Disney is pushing is too elementary to be worth my time. If my 12-year old niece or someone came raving about it (how else does a 39 year old man wind up with baby yoda swag), maybe, but...fuck Star Wars until they come up with something worthwhile.

3. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Blue Eye Samurai on Netflix.

This is an animated show with 8 episodes focusing on 17th century Japan, when the country was closed off to foreigners, and the samurai culture was arguably at it's peak. It follows a well, a blue-eyed samurai (rare in Japan, you'll figure it out) on a quest for revenge. It is gorgeously animated. The story is excellent thus far (I'm on episode 6), and the writing sets it apart. Some of the dialog is literally characters just spouting poetry and aphorisms at one another over glares, and it just...works. It's definitely adult, and it deals with a lot of heavy-handed themes (sex, prostitution, violence, honor, etc.) in a superb way.

If you wanna see 17th-century Kill Bill, or any similar "ronin's revenge" tale done well, give this a shot.

I am not an anime expert, and I don't think this qualifies, but it definitely demonstrates influence and awareness of how anime portrays similar topics/themes.

I love Usagi Yojimbo, as a vehicle to tell old Japanese lore (think our Tall Tales, or the legends of the wild west), and what the travelling swordsman deals with in each new town, etc. So, this as a genre appeals to me, and is definitely coloring how much I enjoy this show. I'd also suggest a quick read on samurai culture to discern what's embellished for the show, and what's real-ish. Some stuff (like what their pony tails are called, and why they mattered) I googled and finally just read a sort of wiki-primer on it (tea ceremony, what stuff was called, cultural norms, etc.), which helped.

4. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This dialog in this show is so stupid, heavy and cliched that it's impossible to settle into. Every time there's an emotionally dramatic moment that results in a plodding, vacant, "no. please. don't. do. this.," it yanks me right out of the show.

I can deal with a lot of plot holes, which the Star Wars universe is inevitably full of, if it's a good story. Andor was pretty good.

The storyline here should have been a layup.

5. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think bad dialog is just expected of SW at this point, and there are plot holes in most sci-fi. I think you make up for it with poignant characters, comedy, gorgeous cinematography, etc.

There's just nothing here. This could just as easily have been a production of a high school drama class that steals some CGI. The fan-made stuff is wildly better.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anybody watching Season 3? I didn't realize it dropped a couple weeks ago. Stephen Merchant is hilarious.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Never even heard of it. Worth watching, it sounds like.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

First season is terrific. Definitely entertaining. When they started filming the 3rd season, the SAG strike happened, so the US actors couldn't film. So, no Christopher Walken so far. I think he has a limited role this season because of that.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"The Outlaws," TV series on Amazon Prime. This season turned out pretty good, even without Walken as regular. (First two seasons had 6 episodes each, with this one at 5. I don't know if that was because they had to cut out some content from final script versions) Several "laugh-out-loud" bits, especially the
    attempted gay seducing scene
    . I recommend it highly, especially if you like Stephen Merchant. It's not the same vibe as The Office, Ricky Gervais, and other things he's done, but it's definitely got his fingerprints on it.

10. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone watching Naked and Afraid Last One Standing?