Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The General Cooking Thread

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Blue Dog, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now San Diego has glow in the dark seafood. Thanks Japan.

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Whaaaat? Literally glow in the dark? I've seen live fish whose eggs were messed with so that the cells glow, even on adults. Are they making sushi out of those?

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was a slow process, though. Japan's seafood has been glowing in the dark since about August 1945.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Sure you don't have kids Rom? You are on it with the dad jokes today.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Trying to decipher what technically is and isn't food from over there is itself an adventure. Don't worry about it poisoning you so much as you should worry about it actually physically attacking you.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I am no expert in authentic Japanese food (I watch cooking & travel shows but don't have much first hand experience), but I specifically love their use of seaweed in everything. I want to start to incorporate different varieties of seaweed into some dishes but need to learn a little more about how to use it. I'm not sure if I'm looking for fresh, pickled, dried or frozen. It is unbelievably good for you. Anybody know anything about that?

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Goodies from the garden to help make this. Best thing I've cooked in awhile.
    [​IMG]

8. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't eat them often, but occasionally I get a real craving for a good old fashioned chili dog. Just a plain all beef frank, chili, and some chopped red onion. Throw on some cheese if you want too, this is America, I'm not going to judge. However, there's definitely a huge difference between meal chili and hotdog chili.While the former is hearty and based on whole tomatoes, peppers, and onions; the latter is not much more than some ground beef, a bowl full of spices, a little bit of liquid, and a lot of time. And with the 4th of July coming up soon, here's my go to hotdog chili recipe:

1lb ground beef
    4 cups of water
    1 14oz can of beef stock
    1 small can tomato paste
    1 tbsp onion powder
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp dried parsley
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (use more if you want a spicy version)
    1/4 tsp cinnamon

Put all of the liquid and the tomato paste into a large pot. Then break up the ground beef and add it to the pot (I use a potato masher to break it all up so there aren't any chunks). Finally, add in all the dry spices, bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 2 hours until it reduces to the consistency that you desire.

This makes enough chili for about 12 dogs.

9. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did anyone else in here watch last nights episode of Food Paradise called "Hey Butter Butter"? They featured a place in Boston that had a lobster roll they called "buttered three ways". It looked real good and the place looked interesting, but I didn't catch the name of the restaurant.

I'm headed to Boston in a week and I wanted to check the place out. If anyone here caught the name of the place it would be much appreciated.

I tried googling it and I found the episode description on Travel Channels website, but they don't list the restaurants that they featured.

Update: I messaged the Travel Channel on Facebook and they got back to me this morning. In case anyone cares it's call the Saltie Girl and they're on Dartmouth St. in Boston.

#1629 Now Slappy, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Does anybody have a decent non-spicy au jus recipe/recomendation for London broil?

11. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Growing cucumbers for the first time and now we gotta make pickles. Once I have more time I want to make fermented pickles, but this weekend calls for refrigerator pickles. Anyone got a recipe they like to use?

12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I'm pretty proud of how this turned out. The sauce made with my Juliet tomatoes wasn't a very rich, deep tasting sauce, but the fire roasted tomatoes I made were rich with a nice carmelized sort of flavor, so I did a batch of those in the morning.

Homemade pizza with a Parmesan/fire roasted tomato/fresh basil base. Fried mushrooms on the side because my ass wasn't expanding fast enough.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Obviously I have a thing for pizza and pizza related entrees. I meant to make a pull apart pizza bread thing but I made way too much filling and OF COURSE must use all of it, so instead I made a round calzone (?) with very thin homemade sourdough filled with

mushrooms
    black olives
    sauteed bell peppers, onions, and baby spinach
    feta and mozzarella
    hot crumbled sausage
    pepperoni
    spicy pickled banana peppers
    Fuck this was tasty. The cheese really held everything together and the slices were easy to handle and did not fall apart. Pizza inspired....but not pizza. I will probably do the crust the same way and play around with different filings. Spinach, basil, and feta sounds like a good second try.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

If you visit Alabama, please do not leave without trying the conecuh sausage.

Conecuh poboys with pepperjack cheese and stone ground mustard. I threw the hoagies in the oven for that chewy fresh baked taste.

[​IMG]

15. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Jalapeno poppers made with garden peppers and some of the smoked cheddar we made when my mother in law was visiting:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Sous vide tenderloin and crispy cajun potatoes and onions from last night.

It was quite tasty.

IMG_4567.JPG

#1636 Nettdata, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Bewildered just asked me in rep if sous vide is all that it's cracked up to be, and I will say that it has changed how I cook for life.

You have sooooo much better control over cooking things... you can get it exactly right, and it doesn't dry out.

That filet was in the sous vide for about 4 hours... I just popped it in in the afternoon and when I was ready to eat, I pulled it out and seared it on a crazy hot bbq grill (past 800 degrees F on the thermometer... you really cannot get it too hot for the searing). It wasn't dried out, as they tend to get.

The entire thing was done to perfection, at exactly 132 degrees, which I've come to learn is my preferred doneness.

A few nights ago I had the best ribs I've ever had... let them cook at 145 for 48 hours and they came out sooo tender and juicy, and then just finished them up on the grill.

I've had a few dinner parties this summer, and I usually just grab a big chunk of meat from Costco, like an entire NY Strip, or a tenderloin... and I'll do the entire thing int the sous vide, and then burn the outside on the grill to finish it off. No need to let the meat rest, just slice it up and go to town. Everyone has been amazed at just how good the meat comes out, and 2 of them have now bought their own sous vides as a result.

Come to my house, let me cook you a steak, and it will be one of the best you've ever had. I guarantee.

18. TheDiminished

TheDiminished
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Second on the Sous Vide being a game changer for cooking. I've only been cooking steaks with reverse sear for a while now. I either use the Traeger to smoke the steaks to 130 internal temperature, or use the Sous Vide to get it there, then use a cast iron pan and sear with butter and minced garlic.

I either smoke or Sous Vide the steak with salt, pepper; and crushed garlic for seasoning, and it comes out perfect. One plus to the Sous Vide is there is almost no supervision required. I've set it in the morning with a steak, gotten home from work, and it's perfect and waiting to be seared. Even if plans change, I can leave it in there even overnight, and come back to it in the morning.

19. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Mexican style stuffed peppers

[​IMG]

They were good but Italian style is the way to go. I was using up ingredients including blackbeans and leftover taco meat.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's been a bit of a cold weekend so far... first real snow on the ground, sub-zero temps... time for some comfort food.

Tonight I made some "leftovers" type stuff... just had some chicken thighs, and a whack of onions, and some cheese...

Ended up browning the chicken thighs rubbed in minced garlic, thyme, and olive oil until crispy, and then caramelized 3 huge Spanish onions, deglazed with some red wine, then added some beef broth, salt, pepper, and thyme... popped in the oven for a bit, then topped with some tangy gruyere cheese under the broiler for about 10 minutes.

Turned out amazingly rich and tasty... it was like a deep French Onion Soup but with chicken thighs instead of bread.

I kind of meant to take some pics, but ended up eating it all instead.