Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The General Cooking Thread

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Blue Dog, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I found a couple of big Hen of the Woods last fall. I mean it's like butter frying them was intended by god. I was on such a paleo kick the mushroom soup I made was ruined by the coconut flower I substituted. WRONG. Ive been out at my grandpa's looking for morrells for the past few weeks and havent seen a fucking thing. Hopefully I can find some more hen of the woods this fall.

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

How do you get into mushrooming? I am scared to identify a species wrong. Are there good local manuals that you could point out or recommend?

There is a growing something or other on a large stump in the yard and I really want to eat it for fun...

3. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My parents picked morel mushrooms with their parents growing up and so did I. My dad has been enjoying a very good year for morels, not so much myself. Morels are what I know and I'll pick and eat them without any fear since there really isn't anything that you can mistake them for. Same goes for that Chicken of the Woods- while it is new to me, its still a pretty distinctive shroom. Look up the "Foolproof Four."

As far as guides for identification, I don't really know- maybe you could post pics to /r/mycology on Reddit to see if someone there can ID it. If in doubt I'd let it be.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is terrible advice on a message board. You should've said, "Eat it and see what happens. Make sure to live stream."

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I may hop over to that sub....I don't have an account there but it may be time. This mushroom has been getting bigger and it's a buttery yellow color. It has grown a noticeable amount over the last month.

I think it is too hot here for morals, though online I saw a moral hunting contest is Alabama. I think they were in the northern part of the state where there are moutains and the climate is different.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is my favorite spelling error in a long time. Hunting for morals is more common in Washington DC, I think.
    Morels?

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Hehe, you are correct. 6am isn't a kind part of the day for me.

8. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I Googled dozens of recipes for ceviche but I'd rather use you idiots. I'm sure some of the cooks on here have a great "Go-To" recipe.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Doing shrimp kabobs for a group of 8 very drunk adults this weekend, and I'm terrible with guestimating portion sizes.

Anyone have a general rule of thumb they use for shrimp? Like is it half a pound per person, or a pound? I won't be going for large ones, just whatever is already peeled (and likely frozen) because peeling and de-veining that many is a fucking chore.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If they're kabobs, then leave them whole, get the biggest ones you can, and let the eater do the peeling.

And quantity/amount totally depends on a number of factors... I just generally buy X bags that seems "good enough" then add another one. I'd rather have food to throw out than not enough.

That's assuming there isn't anything else going on with the shrimp, in which case it doesn't really matter as there are other options.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Well I'm going to be basting a 50/50 mix of champagne and bbq sauce on them, so the shell needs to be off.... also, mixing champagne with bbq sauce is my go-to for basting chicken and seafood, and I highly recommend everyone try it.

I'll be serving those, along with coleslaw. I'm cooking outta the back of my truck at the beach. Whatever shrimp is leftover I'm using for bait.

12. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you are pealing your shrimp, we can't take any seafood recommendations seriously. You lose 90% of the flavor. Just take them to red lobster.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Have to agree.

14. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Even frozen with the shell on is marginally better. I would take that and thaw before using the pre peeled version. They taste like water.

In related news....when they say jumbo, they mean jumbo...

IMG_20170605_192223.jpg

15. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I had about 1.25lbs of raw jumbo shrimp. It was enough for 3 regular portions or 2 large portions. Depending on how much y'all are eating, I'd say .75-1lb per person.

16. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I also agree with leaving the shells on. I saute them with Madiera or Marsalla, butter and lemon juice. The best part is sucking the juices out prior to peeling them.

Now I know what we're having for dinner.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is it just me that thinks leaving the shell on leaves the fishy seafood taste you usually try and avoid?

18. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

If you're trying to avoid that taste then why bother eating seafood (or fish) in the first place? This is coming from someone that loves all seafood except raw oysters.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because usually it's usually a sign of ill prepared or cheap seafood? Shrimp should taste like shrimp not seawater and fish scales.

20. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

No offense, but I assume you have mostly shit seafood due to your location. Bad seafood smells and tastes like bad seafood. Good seafood, like good fresh raw tuna, has a refreshing sea taste. Not fishy. More like the smell of the ocean breeze. Not the docks.

I am on the coast and it can still be hit or miss, and you get what you pay for.

Bar none, best seafood I've ever eaten was in San Diego.