Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Clothing Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beefy Phil, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Student wears unwashed jeans for 15 months

" A University of Alberta student has discovered through science that a current fashion trend is safe, but can be a little stinky.

Josh Le donned the same pair of skin-tight jeans for 15 months without washing them. The idea was to break in the raw denim so the fabric would hug the contours of his body, leaving distinct wear lines and creases.

Curious about the health risks of wearing such a grubby garment, Le asked his textile professor to test the jeans for bacteria before he washed them for the first time.

The results showed high counts of five different kinds of bacteria in the denim, but nothing that posed a health hazard."

Gross. Not the first time I've heard of the 'Never Wash Your Jeans' method, but still fucking gross. in its own roundabout way, though, it inspires an intriguing thread. Especially among e-nerds.

Focus: Where do you lie on the fashion spectrum? Do you have a preferred 'style'? How do you dress on a daily basis? How would you prefer to dress if you had your druthers? Are you a fad whore? Do you not give a shit? What are your thoughts on modern clothing in general?

Hipsters, business casual drones, Sweatpants Brigade, UNITE! This is the Clothing Thread. Go.

2. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Corduroy jackets with elbow patches, of course. And a pipe.

3. MadDocker

MadDocker
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I don't really give a shit.

A few of my friends will sort through their shirts before putting one on to go to the pub. Im not like that, I have good clothes, work clothes and clothes that I only wear while working around the house or training etc.

If I'm going out, I grab the top shirt off the good pile and I'm on my way. No thought goes into it and I wouldn't have it any other way.

4. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jeans, T-Shirt and shoes. Too easy.

5. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

Blue Jeans/Black T-shirt, or black polo shirt if I'm going somewhere that requires a collar - 99% of the time - it's what I'll wear if I'm actually going anywhere and have any choice. If I'm loitering around the house - I usually wear a pair of shorts and maybe a t-shirt if it's a cool day or I'm planning to sit in a leather chair.

In Winter, I may occasionally loiter around the privacy of my home wearing sweatpants, although again usually no shirt. I pretty much fail at style.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I adopted the preppy look while I was in college and it stuck. I have dress business casual at work and my wardrobe fits into in that requirement nicely. On the weekends it's ripped jeans or sweatpants all the way (with or without the boner).

7. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Jeans (the ones where your nuts still hang below your groin and aren't up around your waist, dunno how guys where those)

T-shirts. Plain, hockey, power rangers, sesame street, TV shows, you name it.

Then a variety of hoodies.

Im pretty sure I could dress myself blind and still come out looking the same with the stuff I have to choose from.

8. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm a huge proponent of the one-piece Star Trek jumpsuit. For everybody. Color denotes caste, and everyone knows their place. The women will be all like, "Oh, but how are we supposed to look sexy in THAT?"

And I'll be all like:

[​IMG]

9. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I usually wear cargo pants and a sweater or random long sleeved t-shirt. Whatever my wife, in exasperation, buys me when she realizes I haven't had new clothes in months. When it comes to normal clothes, I just do not give a shit.

10. 8Track

8Track
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Hanes T-shirts: 4 Pack for $10. Im not a huge fan of getting designs or brands on my shirts.

Jeans: I don't get carried away here, but you can get some good deals out there for $30-$80 a pair.

Shorts: The hefty stock of my wardrobe here, $20-$40 a pair.

Dress shirts: I keep at least 4 nice pressed long sleeve shirts.

Business suits: I have 5 suits I can wear for business and other social events.

Shoes: I do own more than 10 pairs of shoes. I feel that if you take care of your feet, they will take care of you. I have 2 pairs of running shoes. 2 pairs of casual shoes. 2 pairs of boots. A beach shoe, a pair of river shoes, 2 pairs of Flip Flops, a skate shoe, a hiking boot, a hiking shoe, a nice dress shoe, and I have a pair of shoes I wear in the snow.

I do feel that every man should own at least 1 tailored suit and 1 black dinner jacket.

11. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Aren't beach shoes and flip flops the same thing? I'm female and you have more fucking shoes than I do, girly-man.

Focus: I'm a college student, which means that I can get away with wearing tshirts and jeans nearly every day. I just used a bunch of Christmas gift cards to buy some nicer clothes though. I realize that the world judges you at first glance by your appearance, and as I will soon be out there in that cruel, cruel world, I figure that I should dress a little nicer. So, now I have several nice sweaters, blouses, and boots to go along with some good looking dark jeans. I have dresses and heels, but honestly, I needed clothes in the middle.

12. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll wear whatever I have that's clean and doesn't have too many holes, this usually equates to free shirts I got from random places. I pretty much always wear a hoody when it's cold. I will only put on a collard or button down shirt if there is a gun to my head to dress up, which luckily only happens once every month or so.

I'm obsessive about not wearing dirty shirts, underwear or socks, but I'll wear the same pair of jeans for a month straight before I wash them.

I am also passionate about sweatpants

13. Judas

Judas
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I have 4 pairs of pants that I wear. 2 Levi's 511s (skinny jeans for a skinny man), and two pairs of corduroys. I usually match a the pants to whatever random shirt I'm wearing...since I have a lot of shirts I've gotten for 5k's or events that I've attended.

Coat-wise I am consistent. I have one columbia coat with an inner and outer layer, and wear the inner fleece 75% of the time if it is cold. I have been weened off hoodies because I haven't owned a hoodie in the last 4 years that has fit properly. My body is an XL while my arms are a L sizewise, so I always have to choose.

On one note, I've been rocking a pair of these since I got my first for indoor soccer in 7th grade:
    [​IMG]

I have about 6 pairs of shorts for summer, plus two pairs of athletic shorts for the gym or soccer/ultimate.

14. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah. It sucks that this is the case, but it doesn't make it any less true. I dressed like shit in college, because pretty much everyone did. Afterward, and once I started leaving the house with a collared button-down and shoes that weren't sneakers, there was a noticeable change in how I was treated in restaurants, retail establishments, etc. Also, I have a beard, so I can't scrub out completely, lest I be taken for a vagrant.

15. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I tried to find a balance so I can dress the same at work as I do when I'm out.

I went with jeans, solid color collered t-shirt (like a polo), and sneakers. Works in both environemnts and I only have to bother with 1 style wardwobe.

Not on the cutting edge of fashion, but it also allows me to avoid logos like the plague. I'm of the idea that if I'm advertising a company on my person, shouldn't they be paying me?

16. Bourbondownthehouse

Bourbondownthehouse
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Levi's 507, cowboy boots, plain black t shirt and a Carhart. If I'm going out replace the cowboy boots with black Frye's and the Carhart with a peacoat. I do own 2 suits for interviews and such, as well as polos and button downs. But 95% of the time I prefer the plain t shirt and cowboy boots.

17. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm about the same as everyone else here; jeans, simple shirts and the occasional button-down shirt (and a nice dress with expensive lingerie in the weekends of course). However, I often wear my favorite hooded vest and people often make fun of me for it. The color is faded, it has lost its shape and has a big cigarette burn at the back. Yet, I love the thing and keep on wearing it. Do other people have this as well?

18. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

About 8 years ago I figured out that wearing nice clothes was exactly as easy and exactly as comfortable as wearing crappy clothing.

I still wear jeans every day, I just wear nice jeans that fit me, where the crotch doesn't dangle five inches below my junk, I'm not walking on the hems all the time, and when they wear out, I replace them.

I still wear t-shirts a lot, I just wear fitted t-shirts without marks/stains on them, and they're not free event t-shirts or with sarcastic slogans on them.

I wear a lot of polo shirts (un-popped collar, thanks) in the summer, and a lot of sweaters in the winter. I wouldn't say I'm stylish, I just try to look respectable most of the time. And since I only have to really dress up occasionally at work, freeing my wardrobe of junk clothing means I never have to think about what to grab, work or home. If it's clean, it's fair game.

19. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't been out of the house without a collared shirt in about 6 years.

I actually dress down for work as it is such a casual place to work, and my normal clothes would stand out far too much.

20. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Dress like a slouchy teenager, get treated like a slouchy teenager. People still retain their southern manners around here, but there is a definite increase in those manners when I dress very nice. I started a dance club on campus, and once when I was walking out of the building in heels and a cute dress, a man literally held the door open for 10 seconds while I made my way toward the exit.

I think the expression "dress for success" really is true. I don't mean overdressing, but definitely dress for the job you want (not necessarily the job you have).