Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

New Horizons and the Future Beyond (Space Stuff)

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't forget, especially those on East Coast US, Super Blood Moon eclipse is Sunday night. It's supposed to be clear and cool in my neck of the woods, so it should be fantastic viewing.

3. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The probability of biological life on other planets is infinitesimally close to 1. As for intelligent life, that seems just as likely but consider: We have a Fermi paradox right here on Earth. Why, over the course of a couple of billion years did none of the species on this planet even start using tools? We should have evidence if they did, right? Why is it that only 200,000 years ago a species like ours developed, and took another 190,000 years to get smart enough to settle down and start growing crops? I don't think Earth is something that's supposed to happen. I'm sure there are planets out there with horrific Lovecraftian maneating shit waiting to munch on us, that is completely non-sentient. As far as intelligent life goes, in the observable universe we might be it, or at least so rare that we'll never be able to contact the other one or two examples.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Damnit

Fuck it, Go Pats.

#284 Kubla Kahn, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Isn’t it Grok? Named after the hit Michael Jackson single “Grok With You”.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Great viewing last night! Clear skies and awesome. Although, with the moon straight overhead, it was a bitch trying to look through the telescope. I really need to get an adapter for my camera.

Lol, this is what it looks like when I point my phone camera into the eyepiece.

one.jpg two.jpg

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

What kind of telescope do you have? I've been really tempted to pick one up... something with a bit of auto-tracking enabled.

Do you use yours lots?
    Any recommendations?

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lol, they don't even make my telescope anymore. It's a small Celestron PowerSeeker2 60mm. I think the closest current version is this one:
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/celestron-powerseeker-60-astronomical-telescope.html
    Mine has the 4mm and 20mm eyepieces and the 3x Barlow lens.

I don't use it lots. I set it up a couple times a year. It's terrific for the moon. But, that thing never changes. With the 20mm eyepiece, most of the field of view will be filled by the moon.

One of the reasons I don't use it a lot, and in the recommendations side of things, is it's a motherfucker to align. Mine is cheap and does NOT have auto-tracking, either. First of all, with cheap ones like this, it's hard to look at something straight overhead, because you can't crane your neck that way. Second, unless you know what you're looking for - moon, easy to find! - it's hard to get it lined up, even with the finder scope on the side. So, I get it lined up, then switch out the eyepiece to zoom in, and I've bumped it a tiny bit. And, now I'm off by like 10 galaxies.

I'll say this though, I paid probably $50 for it almost 20 years ago, and I have gotten my money's worth. On clear nights, being able to zoom in on part of the moon is pretty freaking cool. And, it's humbling to just stare at it, honestly.

I don't know enough - I think I would just read up on reviews to get a sense of pros and cons and features and differences in refractor / reflector. Or, maybe somebody else can weigh in here. You can get one that'll autotrack for less than $200 AND you can get a camera adapter for it, like this one:
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/celestron-astromaster-114eq-telescope-w-motor-drive.html

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Crew module docks at ISS

I'll be honest, that's a lot further than I thought they were gonna get on their first test of it. I figured one of the millions of things that had to go right would go wrong and they wouldn't be able to dock. Now they still have to de-attach, de-orbit, and successfully splash down, which makes landing boosters in unison looks like child's play if they can pull it off. But I wouldn't bet against them.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It plans to splash down in the Atlantic? Weak. I expect some Tesla shit where it drives itself all the way to the astronaut's house.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Long exposure pic of the launch...

[​IMG]

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

......aaaaaaand that’s a perfect splash down, exactly on time. Keep up the good work, Elon.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This is great. Practical in so many positive ways. I bet there’s a lot of people out there saying “Why didn’t I think of that?”

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

So heres the first ever real picture of a black hole revealed this morning:

[​IMG]