Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Mike Brown shooting/Ferguson, MO

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by erk33, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

discuss the current craziness unfolding in ferguson, missouri in the aftermath of the shooting of mike brown a few days ago. journalists being detained, cops in military-esque riot gear, rubber bullets/tear gas flying, etc etc. hopefully someone smarter than me will add a clearer focus and better synopsis of the current situation.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

i dont know how this is going to turn out any differently than the trayvon martin thread. ill let another mod bump this one if they want.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

be smart and on topic.

[​IMG]

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

right now, from what i've seen, the controversy besides the actual shooting itself seems to be surrounding the police department's refusal to release information about the officer who did it.

i can't say that i blame them because of how volatile the situation is.

do you think any harm would come to him or his family if identifying information was released to the public?

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

anonymous released his name, his emails, his facebook, his home address and phone number. people really want his head

social media, kids. nobody can hide from anything anymore.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

just get spike lee on the case.

7. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

8. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

its good to see anonymous is bringing justice to the world.

9. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

i'm going to post in this thread probably three times max, because this shit is most likely going to get out of hand.

1) really fucked up that this kid got shot, in this case all accounts outside of a tussle at the window of the police means this kid shouldn't have been shot and killed. not saying this kid is innocent or didn't act like an ass, but sure as fuck shouldn't have been shot. it is also fucked up there is no video from the police car.

2) the thing black people are struggling with is the dilemma concerning these riots. i'm not sure hypocrisy is the right word (going to use it anyway) and there are layers of this core issue.

1 cop shoots 1 black kid, there are riots, looting. summer hits in chicago, it gets above 65 degrees then x amount of black people kill at least 300 (and counting) other black people, no riots. that right there is bullshit, there should be riots against that and it happens every summer.

there is still an oppressive symbolism of white police and there aren't being any ramifications of his (very seemingly incorrect) actions outside of what anonymous did. random police shootings don't happen to white teens. he's hidden, protected and might get unpaid leave (aka vacation). the people are not reacting to this one specific accident. its another few rain drops added to the pool in which a people are trying not to drown.

but once again, it really is bullshit when nothing is done when black on black violence occurs. the weak, pathetic non-excuse is that it's in the "community." the "community" can regulate itself, it is their choice, their...freedom. it's bullshit. the "community" needs to get itself together, but it doesn't. one of the reasons why is fear and lack of hope, imbued by historical/current systematic racism. "what's the point of trying to get a degree, and better myself if i'm just going to get shot by the police? or held down by the man? might as well take matters in to my own hands and get mine while i can sellin this dope." yet the "community" still can change something, anything, but doesn't and it's sad.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

still, we have things like due process for a reason. a lot of things the police are doing are abysmal rights violations-- like assaulting and arresting press reporters-- but this lynch mob hinders as much as it helps. remember the "id the boston bombers" incident? how many innocent lives did that completely fuck up?

11. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

this utterly pointless and tragic shit will continue as long as the police in this country have an "us vs. them" mentality, with increasing access to military weapons, equipment and training. missouri and fallujah demand different tactics.

i am a perfectly normal white guy who has nothing to fear from police and yet i avoid them whenever possible. the us has a long history of making villains of black people (men, specifically) and it translates into an astounding level of persecution via the police now.

12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

there is a lot of stuff coming to light these days about really fucked up violations by the police. why do the police have less to answer for than military in a war zone? if your weapon goes off, you better have a good reason. there is a video of another situation that this makes me think of: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6e7_1407930108 . they knock once and a split second later break in. full swat gear for threatening insults made on the internet. a child and an elderly person were in the house.

i know it varies from city to city and on funds available, but police are typically very protected from the repercussions of their actions. they are part of police unions that protect them, there are funds set aside for lawsuits, etc. i feel like this particular case is pretty cut an dry as far as fault is concerned, but it is more useful as a recent example of what is happening with police in our society these days. shit needs to get fixed, fast. my personal view is that the police should be there to serve and protect, but these days it seems that they view everyone as a criminal and get off on using as much force as they can muster. i'm not sure at what point in time the shift started, but we are far away from andy of mayberry.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

i think it's very much a result of the rise of the "police state". the rapid militarization of the police, the use of swat for just about everything, the major decline in actual police services offered the public, and the increased focus on collecting revenue versus providing service is pointing things in a dangerous direction.

i don't think the shit going on now is about this specific shooting as much as it is about the appearance that the cops are able to do unreasonable shit and then get away with it with no repercussions.

this is an interesting read: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/n ... nts-rialto

i think what we're seeing is a socially-subconscious reaction to this "do what we say not what we do" attitude being demonstrated, and it's getting closer to the tipping point.

couple that with social media where you're now exposed to this kind of action from everywhere, and it builds up that rage even if it doesn't happen in your area.

any story about cops being fucking retarded is going to paint all cops with that picture.

for instance: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local ... 64431.html

14. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

i almost used the lapd as an example. they have more money than ever set aside for lawsuits because they are constantly up to nefarious shit. there are crooked cops and there is the lapd.

my question is when that tipping point will occur. are all major cities in the us going to riot? or maybe it will be done more through a legislative route. in any case, i really hope i stay out of the way when the fire gets started.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

i wonder if the money to pay out the lawsuits came from the police pension funds rather than a random slush fund they build with traffic tickets would change their tune.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

and the more they fuck up and get sued the more they have to focus on revenue.

this isn't seeming like crazy science fiction any more... it's becoming more and more plausible.

[​IMG]

17. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

if it's true that he shot the kid in the back five times, i would love to hear the justification. i'm willing to bet the reason they're withholding his name is that he's got a history of shitty behavior.

18. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

i heard on the radio this morning that it'll be up to a grand jury to decide whether or not charges will be filed against the officer. only then will information be released- i wonder how long it'll take. as far as the officer's name...

source- ny times

19. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

i think we as a society are reaching the tipping point. i feel terrible for mr brown's family, i can't imagine what they are going through. there can be no justification for this behavior by law enforcement. this officer should face the full-force of the law and be granted no protection or representation from his union; his defense should be his alone. as discussed already in this thread, there are no-knock search warrants conducted by swat teams or otherwise militarized teams from the alphabet soup of local, county, state and federal agencies. the department of education has a swat team? the post office is buying millions of rounds of hollow point ammunition? what for?

otherwise, these riots are going to be the tip of the iceberg. we are seeing state militia individuals gathering and patrolling the southern u.s. border for immigration because nothing is being done to address the issue. we are starting to see this push back manifest itself with riots in missouri. additionally, you recall the cliven bundy situation (i apologize in advance for using an infowars link).

all of this behavior could be stopped. all that it requires is that law enforcement de-escalate. there is no need to use no-knock search warrants for non-violent offenders, there is no need to ratchet up every encounter with the public trying to prove a point. might does not always make right.

these are not signs of a stable society. i believe that this behavior is not just good but necessary. if people are fed up with the treatment they receive from their government it is their obligation to do something about it. your government should serve you, not the other way around. i'm proselytizing, i'll stop now. you get the point.

#19 ODEN, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  20. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

serious question, no trolling, no joke. is it really that bad? granted i'm not in a big city but i've been all over the midwest and i don't think i've witnessed any abuse of power by the police. i do see a ton of videos on facebook that show what looks terrible now and then, most just seem like some dude that won't listen or talks a bunch of shit and gets forcibly arrested.

i'm sure there are many cases (and i'm not familiar with this one, i'm commenting on what seems to be a back lash against the police) where the police overstep, i wouldn't argue against that. and while that's true i see and hear a lot of fuck you pig, go eat doughnuts or bystanders shouting at the police while they are trying to gain control. things seem to escalate because of a fear of what people might do, "we better get control before this gets ugly". all forced because someone has to show off for their buddies or refuse to listen to authority. that shouldn't get them shot unless they are threatening/acting like they have a gun.

i guess what i'm saying is that with tensions running high, people refusing to stop and talk or throwing threats around might be a major cause for the escalations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.