Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

03/27 - Fresh look WDT!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Binary, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's a fresh start and what better way to kick off a rep reset than with the drunk thread? A golden opportunity to garner precious, precious Internet points by posting hilarity and naked ladies (or dudes, if you're into that sort of thing).

Get busy, Idiots.

2. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A job well done, sir. Looks like I'm not the only one doing nerd shit at 5 in the goddamn morning. I've been awake for two hours already and what is my life.

3. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

New Board looks great... thanks!

4. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I feel like I've been pretty open minded, but the more I listen to them, the more I realize that I just don't get the allure of podcasts.

Example: I had a friend recommend Bill Burr's to me this week. I like his stand up--he's a witty, funny guy. But listening to his podcast was like listening to an audio book with no plot. It was all b-roll material that probably wouldn't have worked too great in front of a crowd and he's seasoned enough to know when to drop a bit that doesn't have legs based on "crowd feel".

It's not just his, either. I've listened to other comics and I get the same feeling. Maybe it's just a tough medium for comics because there's no direct feedback or energy to feed of off, but for me, it just doesn't translate well.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I might like Joe Rogan's podcast if he didn't have that impossibly unfunny two-bit hack sidekick Redband ruining everything, all the time, every day. Rogan has some great story-tellers for guests, and I like Rogan despite I don't think he's a funny stand-up comic (until he gets heckled).

I agree with you that most podcasts have no appeal. Some people are better at writing and rehersing than they are at pissing out of their ass on a broadcast.

Side note: looks good Binary. Kudos.

6. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like a very few, specific podcasts. I hate this trend of taking all editorial content and turning it into a weekly podcast.

Give me something to friggin' read. A lot of sports analysts are doing this now - instead of writing a column, they record a podcast. I hate it.

I like podcasts for traditional radio shows (I listen to a couple NPR shows like Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me) because the format works, you're just time shifting. I also like story-driven podcasts like Radiolab or the recent podcast phenom Serial.

It seems like everyone just does a podcast now, though, and it's nothing more than sticking a microphone in front of someone's face and having them word-vomit into it.

7. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's kind of how everything is, though. People talk because they can, not because they should.

#tbtburrito!

I read somewhere recently that nearly all of the data that's ever been created has been created in the last 5 years. I wonder, of that data, what percentage is actually meaningful? The answer, of course, is equal to the amount of data created in 1943.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Redband sucks, hes one of the worst sidekicks on any of the podcasts I listen to. Any time Joe is rolling on a topic Redband will jump in and go "Yeah but this one time I smoked so much weed hurr hurr," and destroy the momentum.

I have a fuck-ton of music on my phone that I maintained from when I used to rip off every song instead of paying a dollar for them like I do now, but I hardly listen to any, at least when I drive. Usually I just roll through the newest episodes of the podcasts I like. Here are some recommendations:

Hardcore History - This is the best podcast out there. An amateur historian does topics in either a single episode or multi-episodic format on a variety of historical topics and figures like Hitler, Genghis Khan, WW1, Fall of the Roman Empire, etc. The quality and story telling is so good its almost like each episode (which can be around 2-3 hours) is an audiobook.

Joe Rogan Podcast - One of my favorites. Joe Rogan is hilarious and he usually has pretty funny guests. The only downsides are his side kick who in all honesty doesnt chime in that much and when he starts talking about all the herbal supplementation bullshit, but he has cut back on that a lot recently.

Adam Carolla - Another great one. You either love him or hate him, but its usually funny. I stopped listening to this one as frequently as I used to as his stories start repeating themselves and the show(s) has become less interesting over time.

Serial - This one only has 12 episodes, its about a high school chick who was allegedly murdered by her boyfriend and why the facts of the case dont add up. Its a spin off of This American Life.

This American Life - Its usually decent, but I think its a little overrated sometimes. If you like NPR, then you probably already know about it.

#8 Juice, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

[​IMG]
    If that truly is the case while living in the Outrage Media Era, I'm going to guess virtually all of it is worthless. All you have to do is watch one of those network news "polls" asking viewers whether or not they believe asparagus makes their pee smell funny.

10. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See, that's why I like the Nerdist Podcast. Great guests that I'm interested to learn about, and I like the conversational style. I like Hardwick, Ray and Mira, too, which helps.

Maron is another one with nearly the same format as Nerdist, except Marc generally rants for the first 10-15 minutes about whatever is making him bitter that day. I'd say I listen to about 1/4 of his shows, purely based on if I'm interested in the guest.

Redband fucking ruins Rogan. I respect Rogan as an intelligent person, I just can't get behind a lot of his conspiracy theory bullshit. It's not even really conspiracy theory stuff so much as just a feeling running through his show that "The Man" is somehow keeping things from us in a spy vs spy kinda way.

The Chive started doing a podcast recently, and there is a lot of potential there since they have a TON of celeb connections. But you can tell how raw they are with the format, and while they're decent at eliciting conversation, they're not nearly as funny as they think they are.

Never listened to Ace. I like what I've seen of him, I just haven't gotten around to his show. Doesn't he charge money for it?

11. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The only ones I listen to are Doug Loves Movies and You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes. Doug Love Movies is basically a game show where comedians and actors play various movie based games for specific people in the audience. You bring a nametag, you could get picked and win stuff. Typically runs for an hour

You Made It Weird is basically an in depth interview that Pete Holmes does with typically other comedians, but he did one with Bill Nye the Science Guy that was absolutely engrossing. They run the gamut from deep to hilarious, depending on how guarded the guest is. These go for 1-3 hours.

12. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've never been into podcasts much, but haven't given them a fair try either- maybe that will be my salvation during road trips this summer. I started listening to NPR in the mornings as I head to work and using Spotify for music at my workbench in the evenings. I remember now that my family has listened to This American Life on a long drives before and that can be pretty good, balancing storytelling with being informational and having lots of good history too.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I shallath christen thy neweth board properly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Every time I'm stuck listening to regular radio I'm reminded of why I spend most of my listening time with podcasts. The percentage of time devoted to advertising these days is bordering on ridiculous. Music stations play the same set of songs over and over again, and talk stations, be they sports, news, or politics, are populated my mouth breathing idiots. I'll play my music, but again, that can get repetitious.

Most comedic podcasts consist of one to several people sitting around bullshitting. If you want a podcast from a comedian that actually provides interesting material, try WTF (Marc Maron). He's a good interviewer, who talks to other comedians, actors and musicians.

The other podcasts I listen to on a regular basis are Fresh Air, How Stuff Works, This American Life, and Science Friday. I highly reccomend How Stuff Works. The hosts, Josh and Chuck, mesh well, are entertaining, and do a great job of presenting interesting content.

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All the big podcast I listen to have been named already.

Besides Redband mucking things up with butt jokes I think Rogan does the long format interview podcast better than just about everyone else. He also get a wider variety of guest and topics than most other podcast. You can really tell he does it because he's fascinated with the topics. I like how he keeps all the sponsor's live reads up front and more recently made an effort to blow through them as quick as possible to get to the interview instead of bantering through them like he used to. I just skip them anyway.

I guess I can see how some people wouldn't like Bill Burr's format. I think it speaks to his abilities that he can execute a whole hour by himself. He can drift off and you can really tell when he's worn out from the road. Like most other comic podcast he has a handful of common themes so it can get repetitive. I'd like to see him add his wife to the show on a more frequent basis when answering emails. I think I like him because his sensibilities line up with mine fairly closely.

One of the other ones I like is The Dana Gould Hour. One of the only regular contributors to other podcast I listen to whose own podcast has kept my attention. I think he's super talented and I like his dedication to 60s'-70's cinema. His format it kind of NPR-ie. He usually does two sets of interviews with different comedians on a singular topic and then whacks them together. He also has a segment comedy bit every show where he and a friend pretend to be HVAC guys from Boston commenting on world events, it's great.

edit: Ill second the commercial burnout from radio. I listen to a few podcast that are radio shows with the advertisements, besides live reads, edited out. Every now and again who ever posted the show forgets to edit them out and you have to sit through endless local commercials. One show I listen to is 2 hours and 10 minutes long without commercials. It's three hours long if I listened lived on the radio. Fifty minutes of commercials is ridiculous.

#15 Kubla Kahn, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  16. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not a podcast guy, but I enjoyed the couple of episodes of Jim and Eddie Talkin Shit that I've listened to. They pretty much just turn a microphone on while they drink and hang out with a celebrity or comedian.

17. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I pretty much exclusively listen to podcasts now. I'd name all the Kevin Smith ones I listen too, but I know he is a very polarizing figure and some love him while others hate him. I even find some of his podcasts grating (we get it, you're high and think everything is funny), but others I really enjoy. The one I listen to constantly is Hollywood Babble-On, and that is more for Smith's cohost Ralph Garmin, who does good impressions and has a good "angry drunk" schtick about stupid hollywood bullshit. They have segments on movies that will suck, or they'll just rip on shitty Hollywood types.

The one that I listen to most now, though, is How Did This Get Made, the bad movie podcast. It has Paul Scheer, Jason Mantzoukis, and June Diane Raphael (plus a weekly guest) and they discuss terrible movies. It is consistently excellent and funny, although I'd recommend skipping the mini-episodes and just listening to the main ones. Their chemistry is good and only once have I had to turn it off because it got so annoying (the one on 88 minutes, because the guest was an obnoxious douche who couldn't stop laughing over the whole thing and interrupting everything anyone said).

Count me in for Nerdist, too.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Mothafuckin' pussy-slayin killaz on speed dial, yo.

19. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Shit. Does this mean I'm going to finally need to get an avatar or else look at that stupid silhouette?

20. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well yes, or you select the option at the bottom where it says "Idiot Board v1.1" to see no avatars. So you either get an avatar or you see no avatars at all.
    Speaking of avatars, GOT A NEW ONE! WOO!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.