Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recommend a Show

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Oct 24, 2009.

1. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

the fact that Maslany wasn't nominated for an Emmy for that show means that every award they gave out is suspect. She was the best actor in anything that came out last year.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I'm 3/4 of the way through, it's really good. Although nowhere NEAR as hardcore as Spartacus it's got plenty of scheming and swashbuckling, and no CGI. Those are real ships shot on really beautiful Cape Town locations.

3. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anybody else watching Cosmos? Just saw the first episode and it is fucking great. Everything from the visuals to the narrative to the host was pretty much perfect. I'm a bit of an astronomy buff so it wasn't really anything new, but it was nice to see it so well done. The first episode focuses on the history of the universe from the big bang to present times and gives a brief history of the study of astronomy. Later episodes will hopefully get more in depth into recent discoveries.

Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys astronomy.

4. Bob Trousers

Bob Trousers
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The 'from dusk til dawn' series is the nuts. It's a reimagining of the original film, and they've made some significant yet awesome changes. It's on Robert Rodriguezs el ray network in the states, and Netflix everywhere else. Enjoy.

5. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This might surprise you, but the Marvel's Agents of Shield has turned into a very watchable program over the past two weeks, with a bunch of tie-ins to Captain America 2. You can quite literally almost skip the first 15 episodes, but the past three have been well executed.

6. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am 6 episodes into the second season of Orange is the New Black, and I can tell you that there is wayyyy more nudity and wayyyyy more muff diving this season.

7. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That annoying little Asian chick in episode 4...yes please.

8. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I started watching Orange is the New Black season 2 yesterday, and I'm already at episode 6 (i would have gotten farther, but I didn't turn it on until 3 or 4 o'clock in the evening). Are there people who don't binge-watch this show? Everyone I know ends up watching the whole season in a day or two.

9. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's annoying. Another message board I belong to has a thread dedicated to the second season and I can't open it up until I've finished it all. I take notoriously long to go through seasons of shows unless I'm home sick. I don't know how these people do it, they must decide to skip sleeping or something.

10. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The final three episodes of Orange is the New Black were amazing TV. I was actually cheering in the final episode. That shit was amazing, and now I am sad that it will be another year before I see it again. Netflix needs more shows. Between Arrested Development, House of Cards and this I have been very very impressed.

11. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Check out "From Dusk Til Dawn", a tv series that remakes the original movie. It's violent, profane, sexy and it adds depth to the story, so it's not just rehashing the movie. For real, fun to watch.

12. bean

bean
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

bojack horseman
    not sure how to categorize this show but it is hilarious. great satire on life, especially hollywood.
    if bob saget was a horse that acted like gob after a show in the 90's like full house.

will arnett
    alison brie
    aaron paul

#212 bean, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  13. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

i apologize if i get this board mixed up with other boards and fb and stuff. has penny dreadful been recommended here yet? i really enjoyed it. some parts were lame. one storyline in particular was blah blah blah, fuck off. the main storyline was very macguffin-ish, but it didn't matter, because it brought the other storylines together in a satisfying way. i really enjoyed it. there was also plenty of tits and fucking.

14. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just binge watched this yesterday based on a friend's recommendation. I really enjoyed it. One of the fun things about binge watching is that your memory retains more details and at the end you are able to recall clues they were giving throughout the series. The American version (also with David Tennant) is about to start on Fox this Thursday, called Gracepoint.

15. CanisDirus

CanisDirus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

BoJack Horseman.

It's a weird series (all animals, from mosquitoes to cats to dogs and of course, horses are intelligent, bipedal and human-like, yet life continues nearly as normal) but really illustrates itself by blending hilarity with sadness. I swear to god, the last episode of the first season made me shed a few tears. Also, immensely quotable:

[​IMG]
    BoJack's father, Butterscotch Horseman, berating his young son over a Father's Day card.

[​IMG]
    Mr. Peanut Butter the dog waiting for his girlfriend Diane with a stereotypical sign.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't recommend it enough.

#215 CanisDirus, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  16. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I stumbled across the show Frisky Business the other night and it is delightful. It's a British docuseries show that's only 6 episodes and available on Netflix streaming. It's about the largest seller of sex toys in the U.K, and it's just one of those behind-the-scenes looks into a business/industry, but since it's about sex toys the whole thing becomes much more fun. I'm not sure why, exactly, it's so pleasing to hear people talk about dildos in British accents, but it is, and all the people who work there are cool and fun. There are the bosses, product development, customer service, sales, editorial content etc and they all have their characters and little stories. Plus it's interesting to think about all of this type of stuff from a business and marketing perspective.

I also just want more people to watch the show so we can discuss who we have crushes on.

17. Mastro

Mastro
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Who has watched Last Week Tonight with John Oliver?

He used to work on The Daily Show with John Stewart, if any of you recognize the name. He makes well informed arguments regarding important topics in a fucking funny way.

Especially as this board is mostly American, it may give a different perspective compared to normal media and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the topics he discusses.

The best thing: it's on Youtube! For free!

This weeks is linked below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Absolutely a must-see show, in my not-so-humble opinion.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So my little brother clued me into Peaky Blinders. I randomly watched a 2nd season ("series" for the limeys) episode. I guess it's like Boardwalk Empire in post World War One Britain. Stars Cillian Murphy of Batman Begins Scarecrow fame. Tom Hardy is in it but I guess starting in the second season. Anyone else watch it? It's on netflix.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I watched the first season, and it wasn't bad. I haven't gotten around to watching the second season yet. And yeah, Boardwalk in Britain isn't a bad description.