Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

24: Live Another Day (Day 9)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Juice, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Anyone else seriously pumped for this? 24 is one my all-time favorite shows. Yes, it exploits American paranoia of terrorism, and yes its self-aggrandizing, but its still an awesome show. Pretty excited for the return of Jack Bauer (even if only in a 12 episode format). Hopefully this leads to a full return of the show. What else is Kiefer Sutherland going to do?

2. Robbie Clark

Robbie Clark
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Me. And I hope some really bad shit goes down. The big disasters in the last couple seasons weren't that good.

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't wait for this show to come back. Yes, they reiterated the plot in every scene. Yes, you could miss half a season and be completely caught up in 30 seconds. I don't care. I enjoy the format and if they do a good job, and people want more, I guarantee they continue on. Its a simple cash grab that anyone would be stupid to turn down.

Also, if there is a fear of the whole CTU in one city thing becoming old again, they can just change cities to somewhere else in the world and make it somewhat unfamiliar.

4. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have been excited about this since the new season was announced, and the new trailers look pretty cool. However, I am still trying not to get my hopes up. The last 3 seasons of the show were awful, so I have a hard time believing that there is any chance of seeing the awesomeness of the first 5 seasons. I never really liked James Heller and was indifferent to Audrey, but I am hoping that having two characters back who were parts of the show's best run will help. As far as I know, the only other returning character besides Jack is Chloe. Even with my reservations I am pumped to see Jack back in action!

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I've seen most seasons (Season 5 was by far the best) and this is my wife's favourite show, but do you think Jack Bauer will finally go to the bathroom this season, or does he wear Depends while fighting terrorism?

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

After seeing that ridiculously explosion trailer with him and Chloe, I was a little nervous. But, I read the article in EW and saw that none of that is in the show - it was just promo footage. So, yes, I am pumped for this.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

First 2 episodes were pretty good, not spectacular. But then again, 24 isn't a spectacular show. It's a great action ride every season and a lot of fun to watch, but it's not up in the pantheons of top-tier shows like Sopranos, Breaking Bad, True Detective, etc; it really cant be on network television. But still pretty entertaining nonetheless.

So apparently Catelyn Stark didn't die from getting her throat cut, she went through a time portal and joined up with the IRA or something. I just thing the formula of "dark dank government agency with a bunch of computer screens and people yelling surveillance and tactical commands at each other" is a little lame at this point. Why do we need that yet again? Can't we just have Bauer do stuff?

8. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I enjoyed the premiere. The only thing that I didn't like was the dementia thing with President Heller. I hope that that doesn't get dragged out as a major plot point.

9. Robbie Clark

Robbie Clark
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This season has been fine so far, but that's kind of the problem. It's just more 24 with no changes so far. Maybe they'll have some really crazy shit later, but I'm doubting it at this point.

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Last nights episode is the reason why I love 24. The writers of the show never ever try and bluff the audience. "Will Jack swoop in and throw the President out of the way at the last second before the drone strike?!" Nope, and Heller got his bacon cooked. Catelyn Stark isnt strongest seasonal villain the show has had and shes not exactly captivating, but its a passable effort. The down-side of a shortened season is they have to rush the character building and motivations of the new entries to series. The President sacrificing himself and walking out onto the field (or the "pitch", if youre an douchebag) was very foreboding in a way only 24 can really deliver.

Its going to be interesting to see where it goes from here. I read somewhere that after the next episode, the timeline jumps ahead 10 hours. Im assuming theyre going to leave it open to a (probable) sequel to this season, but I wouldnt mind Jack just going around and gunning people down.

Its also hilarious that Audrey has an emotional breakdown every time Jack enters (and completely ruins) her life.

11. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm not 100% convinced Heller is dead. No silent clock, and the explosion occurred instantly after they fired the missile, rather than several seconds later. Probably wrong, guess we'll find out.

12. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think that he is dead. It didn't look like there was any way that he could have survived that.

I have to wonder to what extent Chloe is involved with what Adrian Cross is doing. I hated the way that the show turned Tony Almeida into a villain and how it made Curtis Manning do what he did that made him go out (the latter was the moment that marked the show's decline in quality, to me), so I hope that something similar isn't coming with Chloe. I don't like her as a character as much as I liked the other two, but still.

Overall I have been pleasantly surprised by these new episodes, but they really need to turn the action up a notch now that the situation with Heller and Margot has happened.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I think they (the writers) confirmed that Heller is dead. I hope they don't cop out and have him survive. This show always does better with the grittiness.

I don't think Chloe is involved with Cross. She's too much of a show staple for that to happen, then again so was Tony Almeida early on as was Bill Buchanan to an extent (I know he didn't turn).

14. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Nor do I, but IIRC we only actually saw the explosion through the perspective of Margot's video screen. They didn't show it "live" from what I remember. We know Chloe didn't have time to actually take control of the drones back, but maybe she was able to at least jam their signals and/or patch through a simulated video of a missile explosion to make them think they had killed Heller? Like I said, I don't necessarily think he's alive, but I definitely think there's a chance he is--especially given the lack of a silent clock.

Spoilers based on next week's preview below:

Obviously Ian (who had been a little too quick to blindly follow his mother's order to kill his sister with the drone) is going to defy Margot and try to carry out an attack with one of the remaining drones--anyone else think Margot ends up helping the good guys stop him?

15. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Question:

I saw the preview for next week's episode but it I don't remember it implying that the next drone attack is attempted because Ian defies Margot. Did you see another spoiler that confirms that he does, or is there a chance that Margot goes back on her word?

16. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I don't remember off the top of my head, but I definitely got the impression that Ian seemed to be doing it on his own, plus Margot seemed pretty dead set on keeping her promise to Heller--of course, this could be another sign pointing to Heller still being alive

17. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Holy hell that was a good episode. I didn't think that Heller was still alive, but you can never doubt any scenario with this show. I can't wait to see what happens next.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

What a boss

#18 Juice, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  19. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Ahem.

So obviously the rest of the season (there are what, 3 or 4 episodes left?) are going to deal with Jack hunting down the station chief and Julian Assange. I had forgotten that Margot was handcuffed when he threw her out the window--going to be kind of tough to claim they were in a struggle, anyone else think Audrey's dbag husband will try to throw Jack under the bus for killing her?

Preview spoiler:
    Next episode looks intense. Obviously Chloe has no idea what Julian Assange is up to with the override but will soon find out, and is going to end up helping Jack again, from the inside this time

#19 Mantis Toboggan M.D., Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  20. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought that the finale was awesome! It will be a huge disappointment if we don't see Jack again; I just can't see the powers that be ending the whole series on that note.

I guess that the thing with Audrey should have been obvious. You would think that by now the characters who aren't Jack would learn not to leave their safety zones and go out in public during a crisis, under any circumstance. But then I would have also thought that by season 8 Jack would have learned not to let himself or anyone he cares about go near windows.

Maybe it was because my expectations weren't high, but I really enjoyed these 12 episodes. I liked the fact that there was no dumb drama or B plot story lines. My only criticism is that there was a little too much filler, but overall it was still better than any of the last regular three seasons of the show.