Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Quantum Leap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Aug 20, 2010.

1. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

For four glorious years straddling the 1980s and 1990s, a TV show aired called Quantum Leap.

The premise of the show was that the protagonist, Sam Beckett, would jump through time by "leaping" into other people's bodies. He was constrained: he could only leap into other times that were within his own lifetime. He didn't have control of the leaping, but there was some purpose to it: in each "possessed" body, he had to right some wrong or make some positive change before he could leap again.

FOCUS: If you were Sam Beckett and could travel to an earlier point in time WITHIN YOUR OWN LIFETIME, what event would you change, and why? This could be something huge and historical, or it could be something personal.

RULE: Like Sam Beckett, you are also constrained: you are NOT allowed to change the same event as any other poster above you.

2. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im glad you have that rule. That way not every liberal idiot will post about George Bush.

Focus: I would like to be Jim Tressel in one of the last to tOSU national championship games. Then when the gameplan wasn't working, instead of sticking with it I would have changed it. Thus making my current self not hate tOSU football as much.

3. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Remember that episode when Sam became Lee Harvey Oswald and then Oswald took over and he was gonna kill Kennedy anyway, an then Sam leaped into a Secret Service Agent and wound up saving Jackie Kennedy who Al later said had originally died?

Well I was born in 1983, so I couldn't do that.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would come back as the first base coach for the Atlanta Braves in the 7th game of the 1991 World Series. Right before Terry Pendleton ripped a double, I would tell Lonnie Smith to watch out for Chuck Knoblauch trying to decoy him.

' course maybe I could show up in Game 2 to tell Ron Gant to watch out for motherfucking Kent Hrbek pushing him off first base, too.

I'm not still bitter.

[shakes fist] Damn you Lonnie Smith!

5. Viking33

Viking33
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'd jump on Flight 93 back on 9/11 with something to potentially break the cabin door. From the sound of things the passengers never broke into the cabin to overtake the plane, but rather nearly had the door broken when the terrorists decided to ditch the plane. Maybe take the body of a US Marshall and hop on board with a weapon permit of some sort (taser probably, guns and planes don't mix well). I figure it'd be much better to save the 37 passengers and not alter the course of history as much as preventing all of 9/11 would.

6. jorey

jorey
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

When I was in High School & College I had quite a few girls interested in me. I could have ended up sleeping with a lot of them but I was worried it would "Ruin our friendship." Fast forward 15-20 years later I don't even talk to them anymore.

So yeah, I wish I could go back and slap myself up the head for being such a fucking idiot.

7. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"Actually, Mr. MacFarlane, America doesn't need another shitty TV show about a fat guy and his talking animal pals at this juncture."

8. BrotherNumberOne

BrotherNumberOne
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Why not just jump into Bin-Laden's bodyguard's body & kill the motherfucker preventing 9/11 from happening in the 1st place?

9. hamshackler

hamshackler
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'd leap into VT head coach Frank Beamers body back in 1999 and inform Michael Vick just how devastating a dog-fighting conviction is. With that being said, he probably wouldn't heed the advice and end up in jail anyways. Still though, the man was the most electrifying athlete in the NFL, it'd be worth a try.

10. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd jump into Bill Leavy's body and call that fucking Super Bowl down the middle so the fucking players could decide the game.

YES I'M STILL BITTER!

11. Viking33

Viking33
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Because I'm still curious to see if we get him and what comes out of the current affair in the Middle East.

12. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Slightly off focus but the point holds true. Quantum Leap sits right there with M.A.S.H as icons of television history. If you haven't seen it do it.

13. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Once again a little off focus, but does anyone remember the final episode of Quantum Leap? Sam jumps in to a bar, and if I remember it correctly, the bartender is a God like figure who tries to explain why Sam jumps to the times he does. And in the end Sam just keeps on jumping with essentially no hope of ever getting home. Very depressing ending for such a great show.*

*That is if I remember it correctly...it's been easily fifteen year since I saw that episode.

14. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    I'd jump into Allan Donald's body in the 1999 Cricket World Cup semifinal match between Australia and South Africa, to the 49th over, and fucking RUN when Klusener starts screaming at me. Fucksakes.

(I still remember where I was when this happened - I was out eating dinner with my parents at a Turkish-themed restaurant. There was a collective groan from every patron when Donald dropped his bat, turned and was run out. Dipshit. Yes, I am still bitter. Fuck off)

15. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"Yes, I know Arrested Development has low ratings, but let's just leave it in anyway."

Oh, and Timothy McVeigh would be spending his life in a federal penitentiary for a failed terrorist plot that was averted just in time.

16. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would have thought being Herschell Gibbs and holding a fucking catch would be a better choice.

17. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I should have let that girl die....

18. bigtom0404

bigtom0404
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I would have jumped into Tiger's body and kept fucking all the sluts because well frankly, at that point he has more money then god and we all love fucking sluts so why not.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I would tell Pelle Lindburg to zig instead of zag. That was a sad day.

20. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would go back to 93 as the president of Notre Dame. I would then bribe, beg, hire many hookers, whatever it took to get Lou Holtz to stay.

My mother actually shed a tear the day he announced his leaving. Me being a young and naive 13 years old thought that coaches weren't really that important. Little did I know that it would be a long and frustrating road including an over decade long bowl drought, a 3 win season, and a revolving door of coaches that culminated in the firing of Jaba the Hutt!

COME BACK LOU!!!! COME BACK!!!!!