Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Whiner's WDT 5/13/11

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BL1Y, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoju

hoju
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I named my French Bulldog Wilson because
    A. I like Wilson Pickett, and
    B. He's Black.

My buddy named his cat Harlem, solely because he's black.

2. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Know what'd be a really offensive thing to call a black cat?

A farm cat.

3. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In my Chinese class in undergrad our professor was explaining that to form the diminutive form of a word you ad "se" to the end. As an example, my professor told us that his cat was named heise.

It very literally translates as "blackie."

Also, my professor was a white guy.

4. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My friend got a cat and named it Cosmo. I said "Cosmo Kramer? Your cat is a racist!" and she replied that her cat "couldn't be racist, because he's black."

5. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Call it Toby.

6. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would like to point out that naming the cat not only classifies the animal as property rather than a living with with natural rights, but is also an attempt to personify it in a way that denies its animal nature. The whole thing is so speciesist that it makes me hungry for cat.

Humans rule.

7. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I found an orange tabby stray in my neighborhood a few years back.

I called him Orange Chicken and returned him to the restaurant.

8. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My cousins in Ireland had a black lab on their farm named Nigger.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If you watch the original, and absolutely amazing The Dambusters, the squadon's dog was a black lab called Nigger.

Needless to say those parts of the movie have been cut or over-dubbed when I've seen it broadcast on TV.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Yes, and white cats do white things. My white cat Roger likes to listen to smooth jazz while fiddling about on his Blackberry while wearing clothes that fit. My black cat T-Roy hates going down on female cats and usually just fusses about how Roger always copies his styles.

Actually, I have one cat named Booya and it doesn't do much besides its freakish high-jumping ability but she's a decent pet.

If you ever use the term "Animal Companion" around me and I'll drop a curling stone on your face while you sleep.

11. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Growing up, my dad's cat had a black patch right under his nose and had a very severe expression. His name was Adolf. The vet thought this was extremely offensive, for some reason. My dad said, "Sir, you should see what he does to the woodland critters around my house. He's a sadistic bastard."

Apparently Adolf was a very friendly, affectionate cat... except to rodents.

12. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

13. Gravitas

Gravitas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I feel like I have just passed one of life's major milestones. Some kid decided to graffiti my office door.

[​IMG]

I am now fast approaching "get off my lawn!" territory.

14. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

We have a dictator/evil things naming convention for our pets. Jack the Ripper (Jack russel cross), Chairman Miaow (Burmese cat) and Lucy Fur (A white moxy cat with two black 'horn' markings on her forehead) and a siamese named Gremlin being the current ones. In the past we've had Kidi Amin and Fidel Catro. We seriously considered Yassa Arracat, Vladimir Kittin and Kittler as alternate names.

There's actually a website for cats that look like hitler - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com/</a>

Don't judge me.

15. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Real Housecats of Where Ever You Live

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I'm dying here. Boy, the human race really bit into its own hype at times, didn't it? This is how douchebags USED to look. Like the dudes from Color Me Badd.

#256 Crown Royal, May 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  17. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or was he just better advertising your services for you.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well it was fun while it lasted... PSN down again in my neck of the woods.

19. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tomorrow afternoon I have a call with [real big company interested in giving me some advertising dollars]. I have fracking no idea how much to ask for.

Right now, they have an ad out with the big site in my genre (AboveTheLaw), and the space is listed at $30 per 1000 ad impressions (hits). Our demographics are largely the same, they just have a bigger audience, but when you're paying per ad impression, that shouldn't really matter; the only difference is whether a site is too small to be worth the trouble of dealing with contracts and writing checks.

This is almost comical in the way that is mirrors a classic negotiation exercise (typically someone who has inherited a painting, doesn't know it's value, and is trying to sell it). My BATNA (what I can expect if there's no deal) is nothing; I have another company interested, but not for another month or two, and that would be a short run, so if this doesn't go through, there might not be any money coming in. Ideally, they would make the first offer, since they have information about what they typically pay (if they get discounts with ATL, what they pay for other ads, etc), but as the seller, I'll likely be stuck throwing out the first offer.

In my negotiations class in law school, I got above median results in every exercise except one, and on that one I was high on muscle relaxers. But, with a real world negotiation on my hands, I don't know what the fuck I'm doing.

One thing I have learned though is that positional bargaining (the traditional back and forth "20" "No! 10!" "No! 18!" "No! 12!...") is pretty bad, and putting out a realistic offer is better than high balling. Especially true when you want a long term relationship, and it really helps that they know you're not jerking them around.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is stressful enough to make Campari palatable.

20. thabucmaster

thabucmaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've posted this before, but my dog is named Tyrone. Yes, he's the one on the left.

Also, I'm incredibly white.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.