Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Weekend Drunk Thread, Nov 4-6? CONTINUED 11-13

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by todd311, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Weekend Drunk Thread, Nov 4-6?

Phew, just got back from TV shopping. How in the hell do people know what all that crap means. Seriously just tell me...what brand? what size? what type (LCD, LED, Plasma)? Anything other than that seems a bit superfluous when it is essentially mostly just used to watch House Hunters.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not to confuse you more, but when TV manufacturer's say "LED" what they really mean is "LED backlit LCD." True LED screens only really exist in jumbotrons, although small OLED screens exist at present. I think LG announced they would have legit OLED TVs in the 40-50inch range next year and they'll be expensive as fuck.

3. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For my purposes...does it really matter that much though? I am not interested in spending that much money to have the latest and greatest technology. Maybe it would be nice to have internet capabilities for movie viewing (for the maybe 5 times per year I sit down at that TV to watch a movie). My husband watches sports, but not obsessively, neither of us are gamers. As long as it has a decent picture and isn't obscenely huge I will be happy.

4. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cupcake flavored vodka with Orange juice and grenadine does not suck.

Also, I'm looking at taking ballet classes. Ladies, any feedback?

5. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think I can give you any feedback, but why ballet? Just curious.

6. ASL

ASL
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Are you sure it doesn't suck? I'm skeptical.

7. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I totally read that as "Bidet Classes."

Leaving this thread so very disappointed.

Also, ballerinas are uhh... alright:

[​IMG]

8. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What do you want to know? Or did you buy the TV already? Home audio/video is a hobby of mine so I could probably answer most questions you have about TV's. I don't remember the last time my wife and I saw a movie at the theater(if it wasn't Disney or Pixar related because we have kids).

9. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

I think it's an awesome workout. I was in the best shape of my life JUST doing ballet. People think ballet is very slow and lyrical all. the time., but there's a lot of plyometrics and mid-tempo movements.

I'm skeptical about "adult ballet classes" (read: outside of a professional company). Since I retired I looked around for something in DFW. There is no STEPS equivalent here. Most of the people teaching knew less than the middle school girls I used to teach or they're just teaching to the lowest level with very little room to intensify, so it was really boring and not a great workout. The classes totally sucked. It was really disappointing. I wasn't exactly pro-level classes, but I thought I'd at least get a decent workout and have fun. It was just frustratingly boring. I'd suggest starting with some kind of Barre Fusion class at Beyond Pilates or the Barre Method. I think there are new Pure Barres opening up also. Some of those instructors are good.

10. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because there are no pole studios nearby, and because It's the polar opposite of my day to day job.
    Kind of a challenge that will supplement the work I do and not make me have to be in charge.

Tx. I'm looking at a barre fitness thing first. It's Texas ballet theatre in fw.

11. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's not masculine at all...but yes it is Yummy.

12. Nitwit

Nitwit
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Come down to the coast. You can take a combo pirouette pole class that makes quite an impression.

13. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

TBT is great. I forgot you're close to them...going there was never an option for me since it's so far. I don't know who teaches their open classes, but if you want to check it out they should be at least decent and maybe have a pianist (this makes it a lot more fun). Let me know if you go!

14. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thank you thank you, I don't trust that damn sales person so it will be nice to have an opinion that isn't looking at a commission! We haven't bought anything yet, came home to measure to see what our max size is. For the casual viewer, which is the best bang for your buck? I don't really want to pay for a bunch of fancy features that I don't need considering our viewing habits. Thisis what we are thinking of because it is on sale locally ...yay/nay? And then I know you won't be able to answer this....but isn't that awfully huge?

15. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How far away are you typically going to be sitting from the screen? Or how big is the room?

16. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's an aerial class in Dallas, and several pole studios there, I'm simply not close to.them.

17. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

What Brand: Best cheap flat-screen: Vizio. Best midrange: hard to say, maybe Samsung or LG? Sonys are OK but tend to be expensive for what you get.

What Size: Whatever's in your price range. If 49" is $300 more than 47", go with the 47". Look for the sweet spot. You're either looking for a 40-something-inch or a 50-something-inch TV, probably. Beyond that they're either too small or too expensive. Depends on how big your wall is and how far away you're sitting, also.

What type: LED if you can, LCD otherwise. 120Hz minimum.

What else: 1080p. Try to find one with 3-4 HDMI ports, as that'll let you hook a bunch of shit up to it if you have to. I'm not really big on the "internet-enabled TVs" that have YouTube, Netflix, etc. apps built in. Some people love that shit if they're cord-cutters. Me, I think that in 2-3 years the manufacturers are going to abandon updates for these apps on their older TVs and so it'll become a vestigial feature eventually.

18. Nitwit

Nitwit
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You are so awesome.

19. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just measured, from corner of the sectional sofa to the front of the TV in the corner of the room (although being really thin, we will be able to push it back a bit further) it is about 180 feet. It is just in kind of an awkward space, we have no wall space in that room so it will be in a corner.

20. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did pole for awhile. It was incredible.
    Cowtown just isn't ready for.that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.