Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

the be all end all video game thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by hawt, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Pato

Pato
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

What can they do? In the best of cases ($20-30 credit) people will have nothing to spend it on because the Store will be offline. This will lead to even more whining. (I'm not saying I didn't whine. I did. Like a fucking toddler.)

If it does end up being wallpapers and avatars though, I'm going to be pissed.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20 bucks would be fine, of course only credited when the store is back online. But should I get the last mw2 map pack or wait for some socom4 dlc!?!?

3. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sadly, I'll bet they won't just credit everyone's account. That'd be entirely too easy and would appease to many people. They'll probably say that giving everyone a free month of PlayStation Plus is good enough, even though the PlayStation Plus service is fairly useless. Honestly, they give a few half-price games, but otherwise who gives a fuck.

I'm putting money on the one month of PlayStation Plus and a bunch of avatars and wallpapers, though, which is going to be the final shit topping on the already diarrhea -covered pizza that is the PSN outage.

4. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The month of PSN+ thing, isn't it if you get a game half off with the service, then cancel your subscription you have to pay for it full price or something? There was a weird catch with the whole system that has me worried.

5. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think that is the case, yeah, which makes it some bullshit unless they say that any games you buy will remain half off.

SOE accounts get fucked even harder than PSN accounts.

Essentially, according to that link, anyone with an SOE account got their info stolen, as well. For foreigners this could include bank account numbers along with credit card numbers. Much like US users, their main assurance is that the security codes aren't stored and couldn't be stolen. Basically, if you pay for and play Everquest, Everquest 2, Star Wars Galaxies, DCU online, or any other Sony Online Entertainment MMO, you're fucked. To top that off, they are just now learning about it and revealing it, despite the fact that they suspect the info was taken back during the original hack, over a week ago.

Things just keep getting better and better.

6. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you are paying to play Star Wars Galaxies, then you have a whole list of other problems to address first, mainly the fact that you are a masochist because that game is garbage.

7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

...Nvm.

8. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I actually played that game when it first came out and it was pretty fun and had a decent amount of people playing. Then they changed it because of WOW and it was fucking awful. I only remembered cause Sony sent me their stupid email today.

9. The Dread Pirate

The Dread Pirate
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I played Galaxies from when it was in Beta until a couple months after release. It was NEVER good at any point I played it. I only stayed on because I had some misplaced hope they'd improve it.

Sorry, I have a lot of rage directed at that game.

10. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"Nintendo is dropping the suggested retail price of its Wii system to $149.99 and including a Mario game with the Wii hardware. Starting May 15, the newly priced Wii system will come in either black or white with the Mario Kart Wii game and a matching colored Wii Wheel accessory, replacing the previously included Wii Sports games. "

<a class="postlink" href="http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1165963p1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1165963p1.html</a>

11. mobkah20

mobkah20
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Portal 2 is on sale at KMart for $35 this week only. Amazon has also matched that price. Great idea since PSN is down anyway. I picked it up Monday and have been playing it ever since. Now I'm mad I didn't play the first one, this shit is addicting.

12. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do any outlets actually use the MSRP?

13. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have never actually bought a PS3, Wii, and Xbox, so I was just wondering.

That being said, it is an unusual business practice; most goods are usually sold for much lower than their MSRP. Unless the MSRP is really close to the marginal production cost.

Edit-

This is some pretty cool footage of tournament MK 9;

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9THMAlfC6Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9THMAlfC6Y</a>

As the commentators mention, there is a TON of stuff that still needs to get patched for this to be a truly high-level game, but at the same time, it's light years ahead of previous entries like MK vs. DC, Deception, etc. (Their words, not mine)

14. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, that always interested me as well, unless you find consoles at a fire sale or something (even then you're lucky to see 5-10% off) you really can't get a a discount on them, even Amazon has them priced pretty much the same as Gamestop and the like. I always assumed they sold consoles pretty much at cost and made their money on games and accessories, kind of like how cell phone companies will take a loss on the actual phone, but hits you with the contract.

15. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Same here, my understanding is that they make very little money on each console sold, instead making their money off software sales.

quick Google search turned up this article.

Basically, when it was released, the ps3 hardware cost so much that Sony was actually losing money on each unit sold.

Of course, that was in late 2006, I imagine it's a different story these days, but I would bet cashey money that the Big 3 still sell to the retailers for barely under MSRP.

16. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's absolutely true, but even so, you would imagine the MSRP to be higher than the actual retail price.

While it's true that some consoles are actually sold at a loss per unit, (the original XBox comes to mind; the marginal cost of production was higher than its retail price) I assumed the MSRP tacked on an extra twenty percent or whatever.

17. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Age of Empires Online beta download is public until Saturday morning. - Link

I loved AoE when it first came out. Haven't played in such a long time though.

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Oh my gosh, that makes me so happy. I played the SHIT out of that game for many, many years. I still play it on occasion. There was a place I found online (international gaming site or something like that) that still hosted multiplayer AoEII games, but something about the way the college network is set up wouldn't allow me to play. I'll have to play once I move into my house this summer though.

*edit- Why does it want billing info for a free download? This is stupid. Am I missing something?

19. Ten Drink Drunk

Ten Drink Drunk
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm not quite done with Fallout 3, but am getting a little bored with it. So I just fired up Steam and saw Mass Effect 1 and 2 are on sale (75% off 1, %50 off for 2) today and bought them instantly. I'm sure everyone has already bought/played them, but if you're a late adopter like me, it's a good deal.

I'm stoked to play these games. Not so stoked to wait for them to download.

20. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The reason is because they still log it as a commercial transaction, so think of it like going to Best Buy and they ring you up for $0.00. I already have the WindowsLive information filled out for my XBL membership so I'm not quite sure what you're getting. Where it says "Payment Option" just select Microsoft points and it will charge you 0 Points and you won't have to enter any credit card info.